Cory Barlog Continues to tease Ragnarok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
As someone who's eager for the game I'd hate to see a delay but to be honest from a business perspective a delay might make some sense too. PS5 sales seem to promote game sales and the PS4 install base seems to be having little effect. So with that in mind what would you do? Sell after Christmas when install base is high and steal some of the other competing releases thunder or just before Christmas sold as a possible pack in for those buying a PS5, but then be competing with TLOU1/COD?

I hope it's the latter with TLOU1 being a possible pack in (price of console + price of game) but what do Sony have planned for H1 2023? Is spiderman 2 planned for H2, is it set to even make 2023?

Yup, as you say from a business side it makes ense to delay.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
As someone who's eager for the game I'd hate to see a delay but to be honest from a business perspective a delay might make some sense too. PS5 sales seem to promote game sales and the PS4 install base seems to be having little effect. So with that in mind what would you do? Sell after Christmas when install base is high and steal some of the other competing releases thunder or just before Christmas sold as a possible pack in for those buying a PS5, but then be competing with TLOU1/COD?

I hope it's the latter with TLOU1 being a possible pack in (price of console + price of game) but what do Sony have planned for H1 2023? Is spiderman 2 planned for H2, is it set to even make 2023?
There is barely any competition this fall/winter and there might be people being undecided to go with an Xbox or Playstation this black friday/Christmas. Having something like GoW available might make such a decision easier.

I say from a business perspective, sitting on something finished doesn't make much sense. Release it when it's ready, sell for full price, pack it in at the beginning of next spring for full price. Win.

Deleted member 131

Retired Athlete
VIP
28 Jun 2022
There is barely any competition this fall/winter and there might be people being undecided to go with an Xbox or Playstation this black friday/Christmas. Having something like GoW available might make such a decision easier.

I say from a business perspective, sitting on something finished doesn't make much sense. Release it when it's ready, sell for full price, pack it in at the beginning of next spring for full price. Win.
The only reason possible to delay imo would be to avoid launching anywhere close to COD

As much as people want to bash on COD there is no denying it has monster sales every year

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The only reason possible to delay imo would be to avoid launching anywhere close to COD

As much as people want to bash on COD there is no denying it has monster sales every year

Well, I would also say Xbox being so weak this year could make them delay from a business perspective to hit harder next year...

Could still get it in before March and their accounts....

Deleted member 131

Retired Athlete
VIP
28 Jun 2022
Well, I would also say Xbox being so weak this year could make them delay from a business perspective to hit harder next year...

Possible but if you launch GOW in a weak environment you wouldn't share the press with say a Starfield.

Now that Starfield was delayed I would do everything in my power to get GOW out before this holiday season

Reactions: arvfab

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

Is there really that much of an overlap in the target users? I can see not releasing any shooters around that time, but GoW is completely different.

Looking at what MS has or hasn't should not be what someone at the top should do. Only in case they don't have anything planned for next year, moving GoW would make sense business wise.

Also MS isn't the only competition. I think Nintendos rest of the year is pretty packed.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Is there really that much of an overlap in the target users? I can see not releasing any shooters around that time, but GoW is completely different.

Looking at what MS has or hasn't should not be what someone at the top should do. Only in case they don't have anything planned for next year, moving GoW would make sense business wise.

Also MS isn't the only competition. I think Nintendos rest of the year is pretty packed.

True but they seem obsessed with what Xbox is doing... PSPlus revamp being case in point.

• fire
Reactions: ParaSeoul

Deleted member 131

Retired Athlete
VIP
28 Jun 2022
I play both and honestly if they launch in the same time frame I buy COD at full price and GOW later at a reduced price

If they can get GOW out a month or so before COD than it wouldn't matter imo

Reactions: arvfab and Bryank75

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
One way or the other we will find out what is happening with this game by the end of the day. Either SSM release a statement.. or someone in the media publishes an article.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Three

24 Jun 2022
Possible but if you launch GOW in a weak environment you wouldn't share the press with say a Starfield.

Now that Starfield was delayed I would do everything in my power to get GOW out before this holiday season
But Sony had a date for Starfield before the confirmed delay so they clearly were not afraid to launch alongside it this fall. So they had no problems with the press battle before the confirmed Starfield delay. I still think/hope they will release before Christmas anyway.

Reactions: Cragarmi

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think it's very clear from the Database info that the original plan to release GOW was around September this year, hence the Sept 30 placeholder (end of Q3). That placeholder was changed to 31st of December, which means Q4

That change occurred after Starfield got delayed

Which makes me think if the plan was to have God of War release in September and then TLOU Part I in November or December, maybe even with a Directors Cut for Part II.

It's likely Sony decided to push the release date to Q4 to allow for even more polishing so that the issues that plagued HFW, for example, don't occur in another 1st Party Release.

Edit - I would almost be willing to bet a nut that GOW releases in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.