David Jaffe says Sony needs to change its strategy if it wants to remain sustainable

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
If Sony wants to fill the gaps in between their AAA releases...they should focus on remastering/remaking their classic games. They're sitting on a goldmine of IP.

A lot of people would pay $30-$50 for a Sly Cooper collection, Infamous collection, Ratchet and Clank collection. And $70 for a Legend of the Dragoon Remake, Wild Arm remake, etc. They can contract these all out to 3rd party studios like Nintendo does. It's literally free money.
Remakes and Remasters can change important details for the worse.

BluePoint should be the Remake/Remaster PS Studio.
Nixxess should be the BC Port Studio.

Sony can't even get that right.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
If Sony wants to fill the gaps in between their AAA releases...they should focus on remastering/remaking their classic games. They're sitting on a goldmine of IP.

A lot of people would pay $30-$50 for a Sly Cooper collection, Infamous collection, Ratchet and Clank collection. And $70 for a Legend of the Dragoon Remake, Wild Arm remake, etc. They can contract these all out to 3rd party studios like Nintendo does. It's literally free money.
I would certainly pay $70 for Legend of Dragoon or Xenogears if they were remade. Star Ocean Second Story R provides a good template of what type of game would be well received by the market. Doesn't have to be FF7R tier, just modernise.

Reactions: pop and JAHGamer

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
Since when Spiderman budget s norm for sony stuff? Who said that? Tsushima was made on 60M.

Big AAA, jaws on the floor, games brings people in your ecosystem. And sony l lmake money on it. My best budy bought ps5 over holidays, spiderman bundle (plays few games on pc). He bought ps extra, 100 pounds. Bought ragnarok for 70, hitman.... Bought some other games. he spent easily 300+ pounds on digital software. He loves it. He ll stay there and spend some more money.

1-3 big AAA re must every year IMO to keep growth adn attention along with accesories. Sure add some smaller games. Remake some older stuff.

If PS division ends year with 3 billion net profit, and sony end with 9 billion net profit, why do we care if game cost 150 or 300M?

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
why's he talking about Days Gone not getting a sequel due to it being uncessful? The reason its not getting a sequel is cause the people who wanted to make it left Bend Studios lol

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
He is not wrong thou. Sony needs to lower thr budgets for their games in USA. Marvel SM had a budget of $80M and Marvel SM2 now $300M!? Wtf that’s out of control.
Lower budgets = more creativity. I am honestly tired of the heavy CGI/movie parts. I want them like Jaffe to return to old principles they had in PS3 era. See Nintendo m, they have like $30-70 Million budgets per game and they sell gangbusters.

Reactions: Papacheeks

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
He is not wrong thou. Sony needs to lower thr budgets for their games in USA. Marvel SM had a budget of $80M and Marvel SM2 now $300M!? Wtf that’s out of control.
Lower budgets = more creativity. I am honestly tired of the heavy CGI/movie parts. I want them like Jaffe to return to old principles they had in PS3 era. See Nintendo m, they have like $30-70 Million budgets per game and they sell gangbusters.
If they do that, Jaffe will just find something else to complain about.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: pop and KiryuRealty

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
If they do that, Jaffe will just find something else to complain about.
Who cares what that sad loser says?
I prefer Sony going back to their principles that made great and loved by so many people on the world. I am tired of Hollywood blockbusters. I hate it that Sony PlayStation moved to USA.

Reactions: pop

Syndr0mePK

10 Jan 2024
I really dont get why a game that sold well cant get a sequel. Are critics the only metric? If they say the game is epic that's when Sony makes a sequel?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That’s the first thing he’s said in literally YEARS that is the slightest bit accurate.
Epic Store and Stadia are 2 of the biggest failures pushed on gamers in the last 10 years. These aren't "forward-thinking" ways to game. Epic Store in particular is dragging gaming backward.

VR has potential, but gamers can't be blamed for rejecting it in its current state. If there was a consistent lineup of ever-improving VR games like there is in AAA, gamers would embrace it.

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
He is talking like Ghost of Tsushima was not made with just 80 million and sold insanely well.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
No.
sony just must be confident and content. Just like nintendo.

They have to stop following microsoft, gaas and fucking gamepass which will ruin this industry. There are no good games production without spending day1 money on them.