David Jaffe says Sony needs to change its strategy if it wants to remain sustainable

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
No.
sony just must be confident and content. Just like nintendo.

They have to stop following microsoft, gaas and fucking gamepass which will ruin this industry. There are no good games production without spending day1 money on them.
even buying a game discounted for $10-$20 does infinitely more than playing it on a service....

Reactions: rofif

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
If the budgets are not sustainable for Sony then what about EA, Take 2, Ubisoft or Square Enix? Basically the whole industry is going bankrupt?
Yes. It's going bankrupt in slow motion. One could argue it went bankrupt five years ago, propped up by MTX and Lockdowns.

Look at the trends for tech industry hiring, they're the canary down the mine for gaming. The crash is nigh, catalysed by normies migrating to tiktok to get a super quick dopamine hit.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I genuinely hope by the appointment of a Japanese CEO that Sony will relocate back to Japan as HQ to PS. I am so tired of the woke American culture. The day Sony returns PlayStation to Japan is when we will all win.
F@ck westernisation.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
even buying a game discounted for $10-$20 does infinitely more than playing it on a service....
100%
Now I see opinions about "sony should also bring their games to xbox".
Why?! Fucking why?! That's why console ps5 exists. Nobody is stopping xbox players to buy ps5 and enjoy those games. Same with pc and GP players.
I would get an xbox if it had something that's only there and I want.
People act like if console choice is one and forever.

And back to the topic - gaas is only good to put old games that are not selling anymore on there. A service for failed games or old games.
But these games won't get a sequel lol. Only way we get more games and better sequel is if a game sales on release and microsoft or sony probably cannot match that revenue for the company... and if they can it is not sstainable

Reactions: JAHGamer

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Crazy that people ever thought for a second that gamepass was profitable or sustainable....
Well in GAF in 2018 I said it could only be profitable if Gamepass entered in all platforms including PlayStation and Nintendo.
It is a nice post to find to somebody necro it in GAF :D

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
If Xbox does leave the console space, they should for sure do day and date pc releases.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
@JAHGamer you made me found some pearls from the past.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Crazy that people ever thought for a second that gamepass was profitable or sustainable....
But Phil once said that Gamepass "work for them" and since they were able to afford Bethesda and ABK it must be making more money than PlayStation.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
But then wouldn’t these same people start complaining and yapping that PlayStation is only doing remakes and remasters again?
I love that complaint after getting reports like 80% of The Last of Us Remastered players being new to PlayStation. The biggest thing people need to realize is that nobody is forced to buy every game released, and that not every game is meant for everybody.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony doesnt need to do it. There big games make the big money.

But I do want them to add the smaller games back to there releases. Ive loved the smaller games PS made

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
In the most recent episode of his podcast, David Jaffe commented on how this may not be sustainable for Sony in the long term, citing games like Days Gone selling in the 10 million mark, but still not enough to receive a sequel.
In his podcast the game directors said that Sony were ok with DG. It was the internal Bend studio manager who didn't want the sequel. Sony made a PC port, is making a movie and included it in the PS+ colletion, some sort of 'best of PS4'.

For Jaffe, Sony should continue with its big releases, but also start betting on smaller games in between. As well as being cheaper to produce, they can achieve great success, citing the titles Bang-On Balls: Chronicles and Lethal Company as examples.
Never heard about them, but I see the second had good sales and both are well reviewed by users. Looking at their trailer they look like random indies.

I think in any case Shuhei Yoshida's indie division should scout more Steam to look for great indies and paid them the PS5 port.

I agree that ND should do more Uncharted sized games and not all TLOU2 sized games, and that SSM, Bend, Guerrilla should go Insomniac and make more shorter AAA titles like Ratchet, Morales or Venom. Unlike the indies, these smaller AAA games give them a scale of sales and profit that is worth it for Sony.

An indie sized one probably not. It's better for both sides that indies remain indies.

For Jaffe, with the exception of Nintendo, which has the mentality that gameplay comes first, both PlayStation and Xbox need smaller games to keep surviving.
Sony has a shit ton of games, the 3P indies. Don't need to make their own ones and don't need to chang their strategy 'to survive', they are better than ever regading profitability and revenue.

And both are growing a lot in different areas, meaning in a few years they'll be making way more revenue and profit than now.