Destiny 2 developer Bungie is the latest PlayStation studio to have layoffs. Full scope isn't clear yet, but CEO Pete Parsons emailed the company.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I don’t know who this guy is, but personally I agree. Destiny wanted too much of my time and money and too soon it was all worthless.

Maybe ND had something much better in store for us, and these dickquads ruined it all.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I don’t know who this guy is, but personally I agree. Destiny wanted too much of my time and money and too soon it was all worthless.

Maybe ND had something much better in store for us, and these dickquads ruined it all.

Agree. Learnt this lesson in D1. Destiny is also intensely confusing now as an outsider. All these content, seasons, different keys you have to buy to access content, etc, it's not going to grow if new customers are turned away by it's reputation. I'm genuinely surprised the revenue stays as high as it does, well, maybe not since it is addicting and the fans LOVE to spend money on it.

DForce

Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
After all this crap, Sony should let Naughty Dog release their game.

I know people don't trust David Jaffee, but he said what broke the camel's back was Jim Ryan pausing the development of Fractions multiplayer. The fact that they let people go from the MP team (allegedly) makes me believe it may not come out.

Maybe they will give a small update on the live service games next month.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Same thing happened to WoW.

At some point it's time to move on to a new game.

Reactions: Entropi

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I will say something that maybe most don’t agree.

Companies needs to have frequent layoffs and that is even true for big giant companies.

You need to get out with what is not working… for several reasons some employees doesn’t work with the company culture…

That open places to company contract new employees that can work well.

So these 5-10% layoffs per year is pretty normal and it needs happen for the health of the company.

And it is good to the employee too… I mean if it is not working why insisti… he will be better if find a better place to him.

If you are being fired that means the company doesn’t need you… something between you and the company doesn’t worked well… but that doesn’t mean it will be the same in another company… it can works perfectly in another place.

Yes, I'm sure highly profitable companies need layoffs to be healthy.

It's not like most layoff rounds in tech and gaming are occurring with the sole purpose of devaluing the job market while yet again consolidating roles, which means more work for those that still have a job (with no corresponding pay increase)

One of the reasons why we went from dedicated developers to full stack developers that need to have more knowledge than whole development and it departments, within just over a decade.

Layoffs are not a necessity for the overwhelming majority of companies, much less for profitable ones.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They’re back at Curse of Osiris numbers where instead of consistently breaking a million players for 8 months out of the year they’re holding 400-600k.

Marathon will have a different business model so this is mostly a destiny issue. By missing projections so much they should’ve managed growth and not going into production on gummy bears just yet.

I don’t feel like booting up and hearing music that won’t continue with the same creative force behind it. I thought similar of when Marty left but Salvatori proved why he was just as important and carried it. On the player end final season next month would have to deliver and so would expansion. Until then there is no resolve.

I don’t think they’re gonna subcontract music and probably have younger and cheaper talent already there take the lead. Im sure the destiny delay leaves them with less to do as Marathon probably won’t have as robust of an ost as destiny would due to nature of it being PvP and less resource demanding

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They’re back at Curse of Osiris numbers where instead of consistently breaking a million players for 8 months out of the year they’re holding 400-600k.

Marathon will have a different business model so this is mostly a destiny issue. By missing projections so much they should’ve managed growth and not going into production on gummy bears just yet.

I don’t feel like booting up and hearing music that won’t continue with the same creative force behind it. I thought similar of when Marty left but Salvatori proved why he was just as important and carried it. On the player end final season next month would have to deliver and so would expansion. Until then there is no resolve.

I don’t think they’re gonna subcontract music and probably have younger and cheaper talent already there take the lead. Im sure the destiny delay leaves them with less to do as Marathon probably won’t have as robust of an ost as destiny would due to nature of it being PvP and less resource demanding

According to the leaks, the Final Shape DLC was doing good but not great with feedback and they wanted to make it better...

Hopefully they knock it out of the park and just go all in for the last chapter.

In any case, I hope Sony have their backs. I'd hate to see Bungie left as a shell... it still has 1100 people there, so there is plenty of talent.

D2 multiplayer needs a really good overhaul, new maps etc. That would get many people back too IMO

• Shake
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
According to the leaks, the Final Shape DLC was doing good but not great with feedback and they wanted to make it better...

Hopefully they knock it out of the park and just go all in for the last chapter.

In any case, I hope Sony have their backs. I'd hate to see Bungie left as a shell... it still has 1100 people there, so there is plenty of talent.

D2 multiplayer needs a really good overhaul, new maps etc. That would get many people back too IMO

Final chapter? Is Destiny’s story finally coming to a conclusion? Or is it just marketing?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Final chapter? Is Destiny’s story finally coming to a conclusion? Or is it just marketing?

Marketing. They’ve been vocal about it being the end of the first major “saga” and already started officially teasing the future to publications etc.

Seasonal format ends with the next season. After Final Shape expansion the game will move to an episodic format over seasons. Each episode will be longer than seasons and unknown how it will be a different content roll out.

No expansion following was announced but they are expected to continue.

Rumor is that no traditional expansion next year but a 10th anniversary DLC with Marathon launch expected to make up for the loss of a destiny expansion revenues.

Both games share engines. Internal competition and shared tech improvements. Maybe 6 episodes before a major narrative event/expansion drop. They won’t tell you exactly what’s coming when they hype this up as some sort of conclusion.

This week’s news couldve changed all those plans. It always has in some way in the past. Marathon no doubt started as a pvpve Activision Destiny 3 concept.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Marketing. They’ve been vocal about it being the end of the first major “saga” and already started officially teasing the future to publications etc.

Seasonal format ends with the next season. After Final Shape expansion the game will move to an episodic format over seasons. Each episode will be longer than seasons and unknown how it will be a different content roll out.

No expansion following was announced but they are expected to continue.

Rumor is that no traditional expansion next year but a 10th anniversary DLC with Marathon launch expected to make up for the loss of a destiny expansion revenues.

Both games share engines. Internal competition and shared tech improvements. Maybe 6 episodes before a major narrative event/expansion drop. They won’t tell you exactly what’s coming when they hype this up as some sort of conclusion.

This week’s news couldve changed all those plans. It always has in some way in the past. Marathon no doubt started as a pvpve Activision Destiny 3 concept.
Thanks for the info.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Rumors of Marathon not being good? Goodness Jim wasted 4 billion on a failing company. Shouldve invested in Japanese companies. Total failure.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

I'm pretty sure that he is the guy that used to hang out with the old SDGC crowd, which included Daniel Ahmad and Shinobi along with a few Resetera / old Gaf guys.

He used to love talking about shotguns and was a big fan of Xbox as far as I remember.

After all this crap, Sony should let Naughty Dog release their game.

I know people don't trust David Jaffee, but he said what broke the camel's back was Jim Ryan pausing the development of Fractions multiplayer. The fact that they let people go from the MP team (allegedly) makes me believe it may not come out.

Maybe they will give a small update on the live service games next month.

Jaffe did a video with Colin all about the drama at PlayStation, it's up for members now... I will watch tonight and post any major info.
Jaffe knows pretty much all the major points of what happened it seems...he wants to find a Journalist to help corroborate his info and make it public....from what I understand.

Reactions: DForce and Entropi

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I'm pretty sure that he is the guy that used to hang out with the old SDGC crowd, which included Daniel Ahmad and Shinobi along with a few Resetera / old Gaf guys.

He used to love talking about shotguns and was a big fan of Xbox as far as I remember.

Jaffe did a video with Colin all about the drama at PlayStation, it's up for members now... I will watch tonight and post any major info.
Jaffe knows pretty much all the major points of what happened it seems...he wants to find a Journalist to help corroborate his info and make it public....from what I understand.
Jaffe is grifting my man.

Reactions: Bryank75

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I dunno, I trust him.

I always had a soft spot for Jaffe and he always treated me well.
I think somebody posted how Jaffe praised Starflop revolutionary design, best game ever, then did a Spiderman outdated design video the following day.

People with normal thought process don't do that, unless they have a certain group to appeal to.

At the end of the day, the dude is unemployed and looks like a hobo.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Also I think at the beginning of the year he did a ragebait calling people disliking Forspoken racist and hate PS?

That did not work out well for him since majority PS fans also do not like Forspoken, anyone with taste and two braincells clear can preceive it as a good game.

I think he is trying to switch to appeal to the green rats. They love these things more than PS fans who, prefer playong games.