Digital Foundry: Monster Hunter Rise - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

Three modes available on all three consoles.
Framerate Mode: 1134p on Series X and PS5, Series S is at 756p
Default Mode: 2160p on Series X and PS5, Series S is at 1440p
Graphics Mode: 2700P on Series X and PS5. Series S at 1440p

In all modes PS5 runs better. You can actually improve the settings in the lower framerate and default modes to improve quality, serving as a typical PC benchmark. In all these modes PS5 shows to have more GPU grunt available over the other consoles. PS5 in the framerate mode is a locked 120fps, but if you increase, texture filtering, shadows etc, it still runs better over Series X in it's barebones framerate mode....

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Default mode at 4K/60 FPS seems awesome. Already downloaded and ready via game pass.

Bless!

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Looks like a pretty well-organized/optimized game all around.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I'll have to pick this back up on PS5. Didn't really like Switch controls for this after having come from MH World.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Credit to Era for this breakdown

• literally the pc graphics menu on console
  • performance settings controls all of these
  • all three run at 60fps unless you set your tv to 120hz, then all run at 120fps*
  • no DRS
    • 3840x2160 internally
    • image quality: 100%
    • high res textures: on
    • texture filtering: high
    • AO: on
    • shadow quality: medium
    • foliage sway: on
    • targets 60fps
  • performance
    • 2016x1134 internally
    • image quality: 70%
    • high res textures: off
    • texture filtering: low
    • AO: off
    • shadow quality: low
    • foliage sway: off
    • doesn't hit 120fps despite aiming for that
  • graphics
    • 4800x2700 internally
    • image quality: 125%
    • high res textures: on
    • texture filtering: high
    • AO: on
    • shadow quality: high
    • foliage sway: on
    • not always locked at 60fps
  • enemies update at full framerate
  • Series S
    • same as other systems save for resolution
    • performance mode - 1344x756
    • default - 2560x1440
    • graphics - 2560x1440
      • pixel counting is coming out the same for some reason
  • new ports are effectively the same as Switch, just higher quality textures, resolution, and frame rate
  • 125% or high shadows will not lock you to 60fps
  • motion blur affects frame rate
  • performance mode is overkill for 60fps
  • default is a locked 60fps on all systems
  • graphics mode starts faltering from 60fps, ps5 is the best
    • good with a vrr display
    • series S is 40-50fps
  • 120fps mode is pretty locked on ps5
    • Series falls under 120fps, ~115fps
    • some headroom to bump up some settings
  • 120fps mode on default or graphics mode
    • ps5 has an advantage vs series x, 7-8fps margin
  • loading is extremely rapid

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
PS5 another one. at this point, it is pretty clear which console has best hardware, not that there was a question before release, but now it is solid fact.
That's pretty consistent across RE games, but also large open world games with lots of foliage. It's clear that PS can handle 120fps modes better and also extreme high resolutions better. Seems to run to a limit on Series X with it's partial slower ram pool and also it's slower GPU clocks. The Toursyt is one example where the devs said the PS could handle 8k with all the improvements to that port. Ori I believe could run at 8k on PS5 vs the 6k on Series X......Very impressive port tbh...

• haha
Reactions: adamsapple

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
That's pretty consistent across RE games, but also large open world games with lots of foliage. It's clear that PS can handle 120fps modes better and also extreme high resolutions better. Seems to run to a limit on Series X with it's partial slower ram pool and also it's slower GPU clocks. The Toursyt is one example where the devs said the PS could handle 8k with all the improvements to that port. Ori I believe could run at 8k on PS5 vs the 6k on Series X......Very impressive port tbh...

Lots of inaccurate things in this post, but I'll just address a few.

While they're all very good ports, all the modern RE engine Resident Evil games have ran better on SX.

Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil VII
Resident Evil Village

You can check the frame rate stats for all of them and SX has some advantages in all of them in at least one or more of the modes.

and Ori doesn't even have a PS5 version.

• haha
Reactions: Swift_Star

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
PC settings on console is a great precedent, hope more games do this in the future.

I am of double mind about this. On one hand, it's good to have some options, on the other it kinda takes away from the plug and play nature of the consoles.

If not a full suite, at the very least all games should have options to disable motion blur and chromatic aberration.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
I am of double mind about this. On one hand, it's good to have some options, on the other it kinda takes away from the plug and play nature of the consoles.

If not a full suite, at the very least all games should have options to disable motion blur and chromatic aberration.
The defaults still need to reflect the best experience you'd expect on console, as usual, but if there's options in there to customize it, so much the better.

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Lots of inaccurate things in this post, but I'll just address a few.

All the modern RE engine Resident Evil games have ran better on SX.

Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil VII
Resident Evil Village

You can check the frame rate stats for all of them and SX has some advantages in all of them in at least one or more of the modes.

and Ori doesn't even have a PS5 version.
RE Engine games like Devil May Cry 5, Monster Hunter all run better on PS5. The RE Remakes are pretty much on par. Also I know Ori is not on PS5, just using Touryst as a litmus against the only other high resolution indie game out there...

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Will Gamepass make it run better on Series X?

moving-goalpost.gif

Easier barrier to entry for me. The default 4K/60 FPS mode seems to be pretty good on both.

Looking forward to playing this after beating the current game. 💚

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
sad to see this ported, it was one of the mainstays on switch. Though i did uninstall it awhile ago. Capcom has been a shitty switch supporter honestly, nothing but old ports besides this, and now we've got the lesser version. great...

Expecting MH Stories 2 to be next. and of course, another gamepass day 1 drop making my physical copy worth less than a pack of gum.