Digital Foundry: Monster Hunter Rise - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
This must have been painful for Digital Foundry.
Seems like he is warming up to the PS5's strengths finally. Who am I kidding, next game where Series X leads, Tom will be right back to the Series X power narrative.....TFlops monster.
I am of double mind about this. On one hand, it's good to have some options, on the other it kinda takes away from the plug and play nature of the consoles.

If not a full suite, at the very least all games should have options to disable motion blur and chromatic aberration.
Why so defensive Apple, you are against options now, why? I swear you were a great proponent of options before....What about the game where MS had better framerate in photo mode, a game that was engineered first for XBOX. They sure used that as a litmust for raytracing, yet most RT games perform better on PS5 in realtime.....What Monster Hunter has done here it's all real time, it tests the engine, who knows if PS has all clocks running for photo mode in that particular game. Here, it's stressing the systems no question...DF has so many double standards as tech guys, I hope it's not the same for you. Options are great right? That's why you like Gamepass so much right?
Btw, most of the RE games which used checkerboard-r has better IQ on PS. The other thing is, these were older RE engine games based on PS4 code. Monster Hunter is one newer port. So games like Pragmata, Re 4 Remake, SF6 etc... will be more revelatory.

• haha
Reactions: adamsapple

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Why so defensive Apple, you are against options now, why? I swear you were a great proponent of options before....What about the game where MS had better framerate in photo mode, a game that was engineered first for XBOX. They sure used that as a litmust for raytracing, yet most RT games perform better on PS5 in realtime.....What Monster Hunter has done here it's all real time, it tests the engine, who knows if PS has all clocks running for photo mode or in that particular game, here, it's stressing the systems no question...DF has so many double standards as tech guys, I hope it's not the same for you. Options are great right? That's why you like Gamepass so much right?

what-the-fuck-did-i-just-read-what-the-fuck.gif

game pass, photo mode, ray tracing, clocks, DF .. what does any of that have to do with what you quoted..

Are you on adderall typing this ? :ROFLMAO:

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
True, but that's not what we are trying to achieve here as a forum

For what it's worth at least I think it should be obvious with my posts that I never target any people or their preferences, only reply to discussion points. I try to keep the discussion as civil as humanly possible.

Reactions: Lord Mittens
OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
moving-goalpost.gif

Easier barrier to entry for me. The default 4K/60 FPS mode seems to be pretty good on both.

Looking forward to playing this after beating the current game. 💚
How did I shift the goal post? How does gamepass make this play better on Series X? You are the one who wrote this. You realize even in the default mode, things can tank on Series X later in the game, when other players are introduced etc....What I said was on topic, gamepass surely was not. How does Gamepass fit into this tech review btw?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Jokes aside, the narrative has always been "more titiefloppies = better", and what has been proven time and again is that a) both consoles trade blows and b) more often than not the PS5 edges at higher framerates, games with lots of alpha effects, and ray tracing. Suffice to say Xbox games lack vsync for the most part, meaning those FPS "wins" are mostly due to this. The Xbox edges the PS5 on resolution, as people in both camps said.

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
For what it's worth at least I think it should be obvious with my posts that I never target any people or their preferences, only reply to discussion points. I try to keep the discussion as civil as humanly possible.
I'm sure you only reply to discussion points civilly "by saying I'm on aderall", but yet, never responded to why options in console games is a bad thing all of a sudden? Is it because XBOX has less overhead when all effects are cranked up? Is the console less plug and play because it has options? Last I heard you can play "the default mode" straight away, I meaaannn.....plug and play...Whowouldafunkit...

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
PC settings on console is bad… I don’t know what devs are things right now… and I already predicted that years ago… first start with the bullshit profiles and after they will try to bring PC settings to consoles.

In consoles games should run equal to everybody without need to deal with any settings… it should be plug and play.

PS5 being the best version is unsurprising… that already become the norm this year.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
sad to see this ported, it was one of the mainstays on switch. Though i did uninstall it awhile ago. Capcom has been a shitty switch supporter honestly, nothing but old ports besides this, and now we've got the lesser version. great...

Expecting MH Stories 2 to be next. and of course, another gamepass day 1 drop making my physical copy worth less than a pack of gum.
To be honest it was a crime to put this kind of game on such limited hardware. Switch 2 better step up to the plate with something better than a cellphone from 2016.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
PC settings on console is bad… I don’t know what devs are things right now… and I already predicted that years ago… first start with the bullshit profiles and after they will try to bring PC settings to consoles.

In consoles games should run equal to everybody without need to deal with any settings… it should be plug and play.
Yeah, it's like what's even the point. Even with the basic "Performance" "Quality" and "RT" modes, some people already lose their shit with which mode to play games on.. and now you even have games with "VRR" modes on top of it as well..

They're needlessly complicating the one aspect of console gaming which separates it from PC.

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

PS5 being the best version is unsurprising… that already become the norm this year.
You know what's great about this port is that all modes run well on PS5. So no mode was sacrificed for another. Default mode would be the only mode we would receive otherwise, so I say options are a good thing. 120fps and graphics modes are welcome. You play how you want to play.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yeah, it's like what's even the point. Even with the basic "Performance" "Quality" and "RT" modes, some people already lose their shit with which mode to play games on.. and now you even have games with "VRR" modes on top of it as well..

They're needlessly complicating the one aspect of console gaming which separates it from PC.
Idgi, why do console players care that there are settings? If you dont like to mess with them then don't

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
every RE engine game is better on PS5 from what I remember. The engine isn't developed with xbox in mind.
To be honest it was a crime to put this kind of game on such limited hardware. Switch 2 better step up to the plate with something better than a cellphone from 2016.
It ran and looked pretty good on switch, but i think it's the only RE engine game on the system. I was hoping the fact that RE engine was up and running on Switch meant we might actually get the new RE games like RE2,3, and 7 ported natively, but nope. Capcom scummed the Switch with cloud versions.

Or an actual RE exclusive that would take advantage of Switch. Lol @ those Revelations 3 rumours.

between the shit support, cloud versions, and shipping game compilations with 1 game on the card and then a voucher for everything else as a digital download, i second guess buying anything capcom devlops on Switch.

excited for more megaman with battle network collection, but those are GBA roms. lol.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You know what's great about this port is that all modes run well on PS5. So no mode was sacrificed for another. Default mode would be the only mode we would receive otherwise, so I say options are a good thing. 120fps and graphics modes are welcome. You play how you want to play.
Options are good so you have that on PC.

On console that experience should be automatic… you should start the game and everything runs the best without need options… if you have a 120Hz TV it should already start in a mode to run at 120fps… if you have a VRR TV it should already use it.

You don’t overcomplicated an end-consumer experience like consoles.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Options are good so you have that on PC.

On console that experience should be automatic… you should start the game and everything runs the best without need options… if you have a 120Hz TV it should already start in a mode to run at 120fps… if you have a VRR TV it should already use it.

You don’t overcomplicated an end-consumer experience like consoles.
Then just pretend the options don't exist lol

Reactions: thelastword