Digital Foundry: PlayStation Plus Game Streaming vs Xbox xCloud: Image Quality/Lag Face-Off

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
What an absolute embarrassment for Xbox when Microsoft owns the majority of the servers (not actually sure who has the biggest cloud infrastructure between them & Amazon but still LOL)

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
After all the hype about x-Cloud, and it "simply doesn't compete with Sony's offering" - limited to 1080p and therefore a lower bitrate lol.

Imagine using x-Cloud to play on your phone or tablet lol. Been saying for years it would be a shite experience.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
I'm not sure how it's possible I've gone this long and only found out today that Xbox Blu-rays only have 50% the capacity of PS5 ones and xcloud uses Series X chips, but currently only to virtualise Series S boxes. Good thinking on MS's part, I can see why they were confident with their strategy at the beginning of the gen. I guess they just didn't take into account needing to actually produce decent games.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
So XCloud has better latency and the cost of worse peformance. Doubt it will be the case for much longer considering how much money Microsoft is pouring into Azure and xCloud.
The quality will not improve, and latency is based on location. Digital Foundry are closer to xcloud servers then PlayStation cloud servers. Automatic win for PlayStation streaming.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I'm not sure how it's possible I've gone this long and only found out today that Xbox Blu-rays only have 50% the capacity of PS5 ones and xcloud uses Series X chips, but currently only to virtualise Series S boxes. Good thinking on MS's part, I can see why they were confident with their strategy at the beginning of the gen. I guess they just didn't take into account needing to actually produce decent games.
Pretty sure Sony owns a percentage of every blu ray disk sold because they made blu ray along with some other tech company's (a good reason Sony is more likely to want physical to stick around more than Xbox)

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Tim dog is like a bitter x-girlfriend going around telling all her mates that you have a small dick; that's what @TubzGaming told me at least.

Kind Of Kinda GIF by Bounce

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Man MS lose in it own supposed game.

BTW I'm really shocked how blurry steaming is compared with local.
I will never use it at this rate.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The reason I got their highest tier for PSplus is because I wanted the 4K streaming.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Azure has a lot of weird fragmentation in their system ('devops' is a separate organization, MS-owned GitHub has many overlapping services), and of the big 3 clouds, they have the worst support for configuration-as-code, Terraform, automated deployments, etc.

Helldivers 3 should be put on Sony's servers in the future. Sony hold the cloud business by the balls as it has the best data storage system as a standard and the imaging sensors for AI. They better expand their server business eventually.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Pretty sure Sony owns a percentage of every blu ray disk sold because they made blu ray along with some other tech company's (a good reason Sony is more likely to want physical to stick around more than Xbox)

Also Sony has a chunk of every cloud servers out there and most of the tech patented so unless they wanna be left behind they need to use Sony's archival storage system and AI/imaging sensors.

• Informative
Reactions: Hezekiah
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Never heard of the cloud thing , I do know apples use them as the manufacturer for something in iPhones

You mean their cameras? Yes, Sony makes 42% of CMOS sensors in the globe, not to mention other industrial global shutter sensors.

64ba52af8fd49_public.jpg

Actually Nikon, Panasonic (Lumix), Sigma, Leica, Hasselblad, Fujifilm, and many other brands are very dependent on Sony for their sensors. Top end phones, goal tech/eagle eye system in football, olympics, etc. Most of car sensors as well.

Sony Honda Afeela

Honda-Sony-Afeela-CES2023-8.jpeg

Don't get fooled by the "3 trillion" shit of Microsoft. The difference between MS and Sony in terms of wealth isn't really big when talking about actual cash in hand and debt. It's just that MS can be bought and Sony is protected by the Japanese government like other major Japanese companies so only partially offered in the stock market.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You mean their cameras? Yes, Sony makes 42% of CMOS sensor in the globe, not to mention other industrial global shutter sensors.

64ba52af8fd49_public.jpg

Actually Nikon, Panasonic (Lumix), Sigma, Leica, Hasselblad, Fujifilm, and many other brands are very dependent on Sony for their sensors. Top end phones, goal tech/eagle eye system in football, olympics, etc. Most of car sensors as well.

Sony Honda Afeela

Honda-Sony-Afeela-CES2023-8.jpeg
Anything to do about cameras Bo is your Man (non creepy shit of course 😂)