dispelling the myth that PC is a 'premium' place to play games - Steam's top 10 highest rated games paint a bleak picture for the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
When you have stuff like PowerWash simulator charting you may actually even be harming the medium.

There comes time when platform holders need to start to curate these storefronts a little more effectively and weed out these joke/meme games (that uncoincidentally thrive on PC).

Honestly, even more so than the iOS store, Steam and Valve have harmed this industry the most over the years. The business model relies on exploiting the insurmountable masses of $2 garbage that plague the platform. Valve themselves ofcourse stepped away from premium game development over a decade ago it seems like, so they're completely aware and content in harming the industry as long as they profit while doing very little work.

And these are the custodians of PC gaming? PC gamers are dying for a unified platform and have rallied behind Valve to disastrous results.
Steam is an open platform, you're allowed to buy whatever you want. Dying Light 2 and Elden Ring were charting for weeks and no one seemed to say shit about this them.

And harming the medium? My guy 100 million dollar games, consolidated studios, 6 year development times for safe genre releases are harming the medium more than anything on steam.

Also, valve never stepped away from game development. They directed it towards stuff like Dota + CS:GO and we're developing the VRMarket. Half Life Alyx clearly said more games were coming down the line.

My steam library doesn't have anything Like that in it because it doesn't interest me. The same way a ton of those trash indies on PS4 NEVER made it into my library.

You have a market, a choice and no one's putting a gun to your head to make it so. If people want to buy a power washing simulator have at it, who's it really bothering in the long run except concern trolls?

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
you're playing years-old games. You're a second class citizen, a beggar, and most likely a thief (you certainly give off the vibe that you pirate games on PC).

You are a leech.

Good day sir.

kaz.gif
God damn the irony I'm trying to process in this post is going to make my fucking face pop

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Bodycount611

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
you can fantasize about whatever you'd like as you're clearly jealous of PS5 and the premium experiences it offfers, but until the games are confirmed, have solid release dates, or or are physically in your hands you have no leg to stand on.

You're a beggar, plain and simple. A low-downed. useless, entitled

Beggar.
You seem like the kind of guy that would sell his PS5 if he had one. Just saying... You have that kind of vibe to you.

You're probably more of a game reseller than player... which is why you like consoles and their physical games.

That's the only explanation I can see.

Meanwhile, I'll be playing any games I want. PC games, Xbox games, PS games, and Nintendo games.

persona-dancing.gif

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
These developers have been porting to PC solely because MS handed them a case study on a silver platter with Xbox porting everything day one. The fact that XBox, with literally no exclusives, sells even one console unit is nothing short of a miracle.

Even more surprisingly, the conclusion was reached that no one really cares about PC, and no one really considers PC a threat, so they keep doing it.

"When we all play we all win", right? They don't really think so, it's all marketing speak to push more free sales on PC. They know it hurts the console. They know it devalues your purchase.

It's time to call these folks out. PC ports are anti-consumer.

Reactions: yewles1

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
These developers have been porting to PC solely because MS handed them a case study on a silver platter with Xbox porting everything day one. The fact that XBox, with literally no exclusives, sells even one console unit is nothing short of a miracle.

Even more surprisingly, the conclusion was reached that no one really cares about PC, and no one really considers PC a threat, so they keep doing it.

"When we all play we all win", right? They don't really think so, it's all marketing speak to push more free sales on PC. They know it hurts the console. They know it devalues your purchase.

It's time to call these folks out. PC ports are anti-consumer.

ZH6rp4T.jpg

• haha
Reactions: EDMIX

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Games with a 75+ rating on Metacritic this year currently:

PS5 - 35
Switch - 52
XSX/S - 25
PC - 74

And it's like this EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

We get OUR games... and we get YOUR games. We get access to AAA bangers, we get access to the best from Japan, we get access to the best indies, and we can use any controllers we want. We can mod them, they're not censored, they're cheaper in most cases as well with options to buy them from other reputable stores.

After you're done digesting the literal metric ton of great games that we get every year... you can emulate most games on any console up to and including the WiiU without issue. High profile Switch and PS3 games are well emulated these days as well. Sony's bringing all their best PS4 gen stuff to PC, and MS is bringing everything to PC.

Consoles are redundant. They're money pits that are eventually going to leave you high and dry with a bunch of unsupported games with no way to play them requiring you to keep your old ass consoles lying around gathering dust for ages.

There's a reason why console fanboys all say the exact same shit when their games start coming to PC:

-"If you port/bring your games to PC WHAT IS THE POINT OF OWNING/BUYING YOUR CONSOLE SONY/MS!"
-"I can just play your Xbox games on PC haha owned!"
-"I can just play your PS games on PC haha owned!"
-"I can just emulate your Nintendo games on PC haha owned!"

PC gamers just game. We don't cry about "losing" games.. It's clear that OP is insecure and obviously needs to make threads like this to cope.
This is some bs.
Especially your meta critic metric. Is it this one?

75 Games!!!! 40 more than filthstation!!!!!
Let’s take a look: rereleases from other platforms or just new editions of older games. Dlc, indie games like 100 before them.

I mean there are 74 games on pc and ONLY 35 games on ps5 below 75% score.
But look below 75…. At 72 there is evil dead which was at 75 on pc. There are probably more examples like that.

And the ps5 list still just looks better. Pc list will always be bigger because there are anonymous games and old ports and remasters from older platforms. It’s the most stupid metric you could fight for!!!
The best game that is on pc that I want on ps5 from this year is teardown but that will never happen as it barely runs on my 3080 lol. But it’s so cool toy!

Your other points:
Emulation. Yes it works. No, almost never captures the real feel for me. Maybe for very old games. I am too much of a purist when it comes to this and emulation is great but it’s not universally better.
Money pits. Haha what a joke. Console is 500, you buy physical games. You keep all of this forever and I can still plug in old console and play it. Games get updated to next gens. Sometimes for free and sometimes for low price. And pc? It’s much more expensive to start with. You upgrade it often like it’s a money pit…. It looses value quickly and only recently it’s been a case that my 2019 pc with 3080 is still relevant. Normally it would be in crap land by now after few years.
Game prices? You know we get sales and discounts too? A lot.

Consoles are far from redundant. It’s cheapest and least hassle way to play games that look the same or sometimes offer even more features like fantastic dualsense or 3d with no setting anything. And when games look better on pc, it’s a tiny margin for which you need to spend hundreds!

I love pc gaming but in no way I can say it’s better value or universally better place to JUST PLAY

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Games with a 75+ rating on Metacritic this year currently:

PS5 - 35
Switch - 52
XSX/S - 25
PC - 74

Whatever will I play?
You can play god of war 2, horizon, bloodborne, last guardian, all uncharted games, Astro playroom, shadow of the colossus….. and ton other games.
Oh wait you can’t!

I can’t believe there are people who have not played bb, last guardian, tlou2 or uc4 just because they were to stubborn to get a cheap box. I could but imagine waiting year or two to play death stranding or ff7 remake. A games with years of hype.
You missed on best games ever and sure. You will play gow2 next year or year after that on pc… but it’s past the hype, relevancy.
I will play it this year on full hype on a 500$ box with great haptics and features. And I will just put THE DISC in and play. No bs.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
You only play exclusives?

You've listed 3 games... I've already played the highest scoring game this year, Elden Ring. That's my GOTY so far.

I can tell how important games being exclusive and winning GOTY is to you.. You can't even fathom someone not giving a shit.
So?
And ps5 players also played Elden ring … and own a disc of it… and it doesn’t stutter or crash. And the box is 500usd compared to pc cost.
So we spent less and played the game in a better state… and own it.
I don’t understand what is your argument…

Reactions: ethomaz

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
It's more powerful than the consoles..

So if something more powerful than the consoles isn't premium enough for you... then LOL at the consoles. Thus confirming this thread is wrong and that only PC is the premium place to play games.

LOL
Consoles are 2070 to 2080 now. Will probably end up stronger with optimisation. Don’t forget very fast ssd and it’s low level integration which does not exist on pc. Consoles even have lower level base input lag because of low level game integration.

And 3070 alone costs more than a console…. So bravo?
I have a 3080 since it’s release and it’s being used 100% in every major game day1 lol. The experience can be better than Console but honestly it’s marginal and it’s mostly for running older games 4k120… and it does not make for the lack of games and so on

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
When you have stuff like PowerWash simulator charting you may actually even be harming the medium.
I just checked the game out on SteamDB, it's gonna sell millions of copies and it has 97% positive reviews. You need to find a way to deal with that :cool:

D

Deleted member 223

The master begging race threw its lot with Lord Gabben on the storefront side, and fiercely fight off competition (as was the unceremonious and bitter welcome of Epic into the ring). They'll continue to pay the price for shielding an almost totally parasitic entity as is Valve's Steam, showering them with money to no end. Not to mention Nvidia... you can't write about modern corporate slavery without dedicating a full chapter to them and their role in the "enthusiast" market.

Console consumers are way more open to competition than PC platform warriors. Just look at the support for Xbox for example. So much for "open platform". The ironies write themselves.

• fire
Reactions: Bodycount611

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I paid 1300 for my 5600X/3070ti (fuck yes next buy MSRP drops) and got a PC that outdoes any next gen console. I have to say playing Cyberpunk with ray tracing properly actually made a noticeable difference.

The reality is this, PC is bleeding edge and you pay for that bleeding edge and advances over everyone else. Should no one buy an F150 or Tesla when they can get a Honda Civic? Why buy nice stainless steel pots and pans when 10 dollar non-stick coated can do the same thing? Should I not buy a nice pair of Levi's when I can get some off brand pair of jeans at Walmart? I mean it'll cover your legs the same right?

If you don't want to pay the price of entry for superior experiences that's perfectly fine, but just because the Ford Escape can get through the snow and mountains just fine doesn't mean that the Bronco is irrelevant.

If you want to have a "good enough" experience, the console is there for you. If you want to have a better experience the PC is there.

PC can use those controllers with innovative features, I know because I use the dualsense on PC

3D audio isn't a new prospect, Sony just came up with a different name for it and didn't even do it properly. The Steelseries 7P processes the audio so much better that honestly Sony should be ashamed to sell that headset when the 7P is on the market

Cheat free is a joke when there's undetectable devices you can buy to load scripts on consoles

Plug and play is a dead idea, not with installations (FUCK the physical install process for TLOU 2), updates, ETC. There's a lot of inconvenience where there wasn't on console gaming at one point.
1300 for that whole pc?
Seems cheap honestly. My 3080 pc was over 2k. But x570 and 3700x was new back then. I also got everything at msrp.
Anyway, nice specs! :)

I am not saying ps5 plays cyberpunk great now but the latest port is very good finally. And you can get 3 ps5 digital and are left with 100 bucks for a headset. And it’s a good experience unlike 2077 was on ps4 or pre patch.

Yes I played Dolby headphone tears ago on pc but it was never as good or seamless as on ps5.

Yes, dualsense works on pc but haptics work only wired. Sony should release a dongle

• brain
Reactions: EDMIX

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
More than 60 is useless but everyone's gushing over 120hz and buying TVs for the feature on their console what are you even talking about?

Also HDR implementation is trash in general, it's a feature used to sell TVs. Unless it's Dolby Vision not a single HDR/HDR 10+ implementation is consistent in it's integration.
Hdr is amazing. I game in oled and non hdr games look almost black and white In comparison nowadays haha :p
120 is nice but it’s not that much better than 60. But I think 240 broke me. Nothing seems high refresh rate enough after it lol.
I do prefer resolution and graphics though. I would chose 4k hdr oled even if it was only 60hz over any monitor. But since it has 120, i use it on pc all the time. At least 3080 is doing something

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
How often do you hear Console gamers begging for Console Ports of PC games?

How often do you hear PC gamers begging for PC ports of Console games?

That should tell you what's the premium platform currently.

Was a lot different 20-25 years ago. Roles have been reversed. PC being premium died a long time ago since Consoles have caught up drastically.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
How often do you hear Console gamers begging for Console Ports of PC games?

How often do you hear PC gamers begging for PC ports of Console games?

That should tell you what's the premium platform currently.

Was a lot different 20-25 years ago. Roles have been reversed.
All the time. I cant remember ever console guys begging for shower with your daddy Wow or Garrys mod. But i remember pc guys begging and making petitions for games like uncharted last of us Ghost of Tsushima Bloodborne(Still begging for it to this day) last gen and making fun of those games and using the same damage control excuses that xbots use "MOvIe with No GaMEPlay" " OnE aNd DonE in a WeEKeND" "tHEY'Re All UnChARTed ClOnEs".

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
All the time. I cant remember ever console guys begging for shower with your daddy Wow or Garrys mod. But i remember pc guys begging and making petitions for games like uncharted last of us Ghost of Tsushima Bloodborne(Still begging for it to this day) last gen and making fun of those games and using the same damage control excuses that xbots use "MOvIe with No GaMEPlay" " OnE aNd DonE in a WeEKeND" "tHEY'Re All UnChARTed ClOnEs".
The port begging mainly happened because the games ran like trash compared to what a PC could do during the last gen. PC gamers didn't want to have a compromised 1080p30 experience. Ironically, PS5 dudes are also port begging for Bloodborne for the exact same reason.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
The port begging mainly happened because the games ran like trash compared to what a PC could do during the last gen. PC gamers didn't want to have a compromised 1080p30 experience. Ironically, PS5 dudes are also port begging for Bloodborne for the exact same reason.

PC gamers beg for every console game under the sun.

Whether it runs well or like trash.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I think you should not really make your mind on what others do, really. For example, I won't touch a Nintendo even if it was sitting around. So, does that mean it's a shit platform and no one should play on it? No.

I think top-end PC is the premium place to play most of the games, but only high end PC's which are the extreme minority out of all gaming PC, or semi-gaming PC that have shit hardware. Mobile gaming is the top now and no console nor PC's could even get close, so should we start playing games on phones because others with different tastes do?

Do_you_guys_not_have_phones__-_BlizzCon_2018_Diablo_Immortal_reveal_0-21_screenshot.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.