dispelling the myth that PC is a 'premium' place to play games - Steam's top 10 highest rated games paint a bleak picture for the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
but the entire half life/ valve franchise is on playstation, dating back to 2001 with the original half life. we don't have to give you anything for that, it'll come eventually.

again, so we're getting nothing out of the deal and yet you're selfish enough to wonder why playstation customers don't want to see their platform devalued so you can enjoy yourself on your PC, or so Xbox customers can validate their 0 exclusives-mantra. That's none of our business.

Valve is a multiplatform publisher and much like guys who bought their 3rd or 4th Xbox One Phil Spncer console revision, you bought into a known exclusiveless platform so you can't complain.

PlayStation sprung these unwanted ports on folks out of the blue with Horizon recently, nobody asked or signed up for it. and Now we're telling Sony loud and clear we don't want them, to stop them, and that they aren't appreciated.

It's pretty straight forward.
I hope you read this post in a few days and realize you had a real touch grass moment. Jesus Christ, you're seriously upset over business decisions that have no bearing on your personal life or bank account!

Last edited:
  • thisistheway
Reactions: Deleted member 13
D

Deleted member 13

Couldn’t shaders be an included download for popular graphics cards or something?
No. Shaders are the bread and butter of the graphics pipeline. It's the code that the programmers write and must be compiled into the GPU for use before the level begins in the game. I think UE delays that compilation and/or runs it in the background to save on loading speed.

What is good news is that it only needs to happen 1x during each play session. The shaders can be cached as shader OBJs after that first compile requiring a recompile only if the user changes certain graphics settings.

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 51

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
No. Shaders are the bread and butter of the graphics pipeline. It's the code that the programmers write and must be compiled into the GPU for use before the level begins in the game. I think UE delays that compilation and/or runs it in the background to save on loading speed.

What is good news is that it only needs to happen 1x during each play session. The shaders can be cached as shader OBJs after that first compile requiring a recompile only if the user changes certain graphics settings.
ok but steam deck downloads shaders.
Consoles also have shaders precompiled.

So why can't devs complie shaders for 3060,70,80 and so on? At least 10 most popular cards

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
ok but steam deck downloads shaders.
Consoles also have shaders precompiled.

So why can't devs complie shaders for 3060,70,80 and so on? At least 10 most popular cards
Because it's called a PC and that's what you get. NVidia and AMD solutions are for you to buy newer more expensive cards so you can stutter while looking at a higher FPS count.

Sharinghack

21 Jun 2022
Lisbon, Portugal
www.pushvfx.com

Or changes drivers, or new patch / update arrives for the game.

When I played Warzone on PC I usually had to recompile shaders more than once per week, not to mention how boring it was to tweak graphics settings and constantly having to recompile shaders.

Reactions: nominedomine

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
Because it's called a PC and that's what you get. NVidia and AMD solutions are for you to buy newer more expensive cards so you can stutter while looking at a higher FPS count.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Couldn’t shaders be an included download for popular graphics cards or something?
I mean they could, but on Linux it's dynamically compiled. I have a feeling it's because Valve probably has way more freedom to what they want there vs Windows. I only login to Windows to play some games of Infinite with my brother and nephew through cross play, otherwise I'm 100% on Linuxcould

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: nominedomine

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
:LOL:

Keep waiting for your precompiled shaders then.
I don't have too, it does it while I download.

Got any other things to say to show how little you actually know?

Ey9r3n5.png

• fire
Reactions: Deleted member 51

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
again, so we're getting nothing out of the deal and yet you're selfish enough to wonder why playstation customers don't want to see their platform devalued so you can enjoy yourself on your PC, or so Xbox customers can validate their 0 exclusives-mantra. That's none of our business.

You have such a weird us vs. them attitude.. when.. these products.. are available, to everyone.

I own Days Gone and Horizon on PC... but guess what?

I owned them both on PS4.. I had 3 PS4's and 1 PS4 Pro.. I now have 2 PS5s.

Playstation is my main console platform, and really overall not TOO FAR behind PC as a platform for me. It's awesome to have the option to play games in either/both places and I'm double dipping to show my support for the practice (and because I genuinely want to play the games again on PC.)

And there's a ton of games exclusive to or far better on PC.. like the entire strategy genre... like much of the top-down Diablo-clone genre (Diablo 3 pretty fun/unique on consoles tho)... these are awesome and fun games, and nobody playing them cares if they aren't "AAA blockbusters."

Status
Not open for further replies.