dispelling the myth that PC is a 'premium' place to play games - Steam's top 10 highest rated games paint a bleak picture for the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warnen

15 Jul 2022
This pic shows exactly the point… PC gamers are not the “premium” but just a old games paradise.

Hey Sony just started, gotta cash in on the old game before the day and date stuff starts to show up shortly.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Hey Sony just started, gotta cash in on the old game before the day and date stuff starts to show up shortly.
So you are betting in the future? I mean that is cool but we are discussing the actual situation.

- PC gamers that have the “Premium” experience are very minority… most gamers on PC have inferior hardware to console… and truly “Premium” are less than 1% based on Steam data.

- PC exclusive developers doesn’t invest in AAA anymore… AAA is always focused on console first… so PC is more a focused indie exclusives.

- PC still receive most AAA games late… that is not only true to PlayStation… others Publishers do the same… well the biggest game in that industry miss PC for several years.

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
This pic shows exactly the point… PC gamers are not the “premium” but just a old games paradise.
I bought Ghostwire Tokyo day 1 so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Also a lot of games in that pic are remasters coming to PS5 so there's a bit of irony going on here lol

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not really betting, they said many of there games are going to be cross platform shortly.
Who?
What they said was that PC ports will come late… BTW for now the game that will come faster to PC is Miles Morales (took only 2 years).

I expected GAAS games to have simultaneous release but even so some won’t… Faction probably won’t if you look at the hints financials from Sony but I think it should be simultaneous.

D

Deleted member 13

Ironically, they’re always port begging. I wonder why is that. 🤔
Because they rightfully admit that Sony has superior game companies that have truly the best artistic talent in the industry. I doubt any PC gamer would try to argue against that. But on the same breath, console gamers should admit rightfully that any game that appears on PC CAN have the best experience of all the platforms.

It is only fair.

Sharinghack

21 Jun 2022
Lisbon, Portugal
www.pushvfx.com
That said, I miss the times of PC gaming with 3Dfx, Carmageddon, Unreal, Quake 2, Ultimate Race Pro.

I miss buying a new GPU just to experience the leaked Doom 3 Alpha, it was out of this world. I miss Crysis and the huge leap it was for graphics rendering.

Those golden days are gone, unfortunately it's all about the sales and not the quality of pushing things forward.

• sad
Reactions: Deleted member 13

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
This thread was made for console fanboys to feel better about themselves. It's hilarious seeing the support group come together and share their insecurities with us all at once. Like babies throwing a tantrum, sometimes you just have to let them cry themselves out.

Holy shit, thanks for the laughs boys 😂🤣

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
2022:
wO3FQp.png

Have you ever heard of anything on this list besides god of war?

All time:
1657994891349.png

How can it be that indie games that could run on a potato, or decades old games consistently receive STEAM user's highest ratings?
Well they have high ratings for a plethora of reasons. They're good games, they're fun despite (or because of) flaws, or because the reviews are memeing.
As for why games that can run on a potato? Because despite what some PCMR folks will tell you, most PCs are potatoes. Dedicated gaming PCs make up something like less than 10% of the PC market, and high-end PCs make up less than 10% of that. Thus, most of the games selling on PC platforms will be games that even a family workstation can run.

And now, time to skim the thread for my daily headache.

• haha

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Emulating Switch is illegal and just not as easy or smooth as playing on official hardware.
Emulation is not illegal. You can do it 100% legally, and many do. Pirating ROM files, however, is. There's a very important difference there.

That said, once you get your emulator settings tweaked just right (especially for the Switch) your experience is generally significantly smoother than the Switch itself. Higher resolution, framerate, etc. It IS, however, a bit labor-intensive and not as simple or convenient as native hardware. ||

Just wanted to get that out there. 😅

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
This thread was made for console fanboys to feel better about themselves. It's hilarious seeing the support group come together and share their insecurities with us all at once. Like babies throwing a tantrum, sometimes you just have to let them cry themselves out.

Holy shit, thanks for the laughs boys 😂🤣
You've genuinely got no room to call anyone else childish, man. I'm not even halfway through this thread yet but holy crap, you have some of the most juvenile attempts at trolling I've seen in a minute. 😂

Reactions: ethomaz

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
You've genuinely got no room to call anyone else childish, man. I'm not even halfway through this thread yet but holy crap, you have some of the most juvenile attempts at trolling I've seen in a minute. 😂
I treat childish threads and posters how they deserve to be treated.

I didn't make this thread based on my insecurities about the platform I play games on ;):LOL:

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
I treat childish threads and posters how they deserve to be treated.

I didn't make this thread based on my insecurities about the platform I play games on ;):LOL:
No, you just resort to some of the most immature and childish trolling tactics the moment your platform of preference is attacked.

Not even clever or witty, but aggressive and adolescent. It comes off as a fanboy retort more than trolling what you see as a "bad fanboy take". Fighting fire with fire doesn't work when your weapon of choice is self-immolation.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
No, you just resort to some of the most immature and childish trolling tactics the moment your platform of preference is attacked.

Not even clever or witty, but aggressive and adolescent. It comes off as a fanboy retort more than trolling what you see as a "bad fanboy take". Fighting fire with fire doesn't work when your weapon of choice is self-immolation.
The fact that OP and myself, as well as others in this thread have known each other for years... has gone over your head ... despite another poster clearly alluding to it 😂🤣

• haha
Reactions: Vertigo

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Lets get real, last 2 gens of consoles are underpowered PC. If anything most games are designed for PC and down ported to consoles fixed hardware.

Not the last two. The first gen to bring X86 was the last gen with the Xbox One and the PS4. The pro versions are not a new gen.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Because they rightfully admit that Sony has superior game companies that have truly the best artistic talent in the industry. I doubt any PC gamer would try to argue against that. But on the same breath, console gamers should admit rightfully that any game that appears on PC CAN have the best experience of all the platforms.

Agree. The only thing that may change my experience between the PS5 and PC are the Dualsense features, which are actually not gimmicky. If the PC supports them,, your experience will likely be better. I say likely because of course it depends on hardware.

Contra

17 Jul 2022
Northern Hellscapes
There's a point to be made that the PC is premium in how it gives you liberty to use multiple stores, and multiple vendors for parts and features. You can still do things on PC that no console can give you. More updated and advanced VR options being a recent example. Now you can play AAA console games on PC. Cutting edge is always nailed down and subsidized for a console spec, and the PC standard will wax and wane the price/performance gap. The consumers in the industry would be better off if we could all buy 1 piece of media plastic and have it work while scaling up or down to any PC or console ecosystem.

There is also this disconnect or argument being used constantly here that PC gamers are beggars for console games. It's predicated on some absolutism.
I mean, I have consoles. I want to be able to buy those games and play them anywhere else that I want to. As a "console gamer", who also plays on PC, why am I a beggar for not wanting to be shackled to the one TV box, locked in to an ideal performance setting? I paid for the game twice as is the standard way things work these days, and now I have to listen to console warrior purists tell me I'm somehow in the wrong about the whole thing?

On a tangent at the other end of this brain busting exercise, I occasionally think of the liberty on PC and how the governments these days ought to be focusing on mandating copyright protections, helping emulation and public domain preservation or enforcement; but I also live in the great white north, where government is turning borderline authoritarian over everything it touches.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Pretty sure any PS5 games that come to PC will support Dualsense natively.

Sony's games actually have great support on PC, and have pretty much all supported ultrawide, unlocked framerates, DLSS/FSR, as well as Dualsense features. Not only that, but they've gone back repeatedly and added and improved new features over time. Like updating FSR1.0 to FSR2.0 in God of War.

Reactions: Kokoloko
Status
Not open for further replies.