Does traditional PC gaming have a future?

Does traditional PC gaming have a future?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
PC is the last hardware you buy before you come to the realization games aren't your thing anymore and you rather just watch people playing on Twich and Youtube.

If all we had was PC single player games with a big AAA budget would be an extremely rare occurrence, the public just isn't there for those games.
You're absolutely right - it's a platform for boomers and software misers. You're effectively downgrading when you're stepping into PC gaming. Very few actually have a rig that goes toe to toe with consoles, and none for the same price.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
You're absolutely right - it's a platform for boomers and software misers. You're effectively downgrading when you're stepping into PC gaming. Very few actually have a rig that goes toe to toe with consoles, and none for the same price.
Very few
47% of Steam users
Pick one

This also doesn't account for even weaker systems which can through the ability of changing resolution run a game to the same graphical degree.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I don't know maybe it was just your experience. IIn my case it was exactly the opposite, the late 6th/7th generation of consoles was what got me out of the hobby for a long while until PC gaming got me back right at the tail end of the 7th/start of the 8th.

I have been enjoying gaming a lot during the last decade, even more than on the SNES/PS1 early ps2 days.
I play on PC since the 90s, I just dont buy this PCMR narrative of PC being superior or without it's own many problems.

I don't like to see PC and consoles becoming the exact same thing and I do apreciate the doferences between th two.

Hardware arms race and lack of it's own big budget single player games is what bums me out about modern day PC.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The games are also overengineered when made and scaled back via optimization for the console. Alot of the higher quality configuration seen on PC already exists from the original development.
That's not how you develop games. You plan according to the lowest common denominator and then scale up. Your whole game design has to account for different types of hardware, slower storage media, smaller ram footprints, etc.

Shitty developers like CDPR will do the opposite and then pay astroturfers to say "this game was developed for current gen consoles and modern PCs" when it started production in the mid 2010s.