Dragon's Dogma 2 sold 3 million copies

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
GOp_HY_WoAA8PLn

Thank you to the 3 million Arisen who have embarked on adventures in Dragon's Dogma 2! We are grateful for your continued support.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
Sony should learn from Capcom: it manages to produce games with moderate production costs, that are beautiful, complex and don't need to sell tens of millions to pay for themselves

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Muddasar

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
Yet Final Fantasy 16 and Rebirth are considered flops with similar numbers.

3 million is pathetic considering people were comparing this game with Elden Ring and saying it will kill Horizon Forbidden West sales.
Square Enix has unrealistic expectations for some of its games, I don't know how almost no one has realized this yet

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Sony should learn from Capcom: it manages to produce games with moderate production costs, that are beautiful, complex and don't need to sell tens of millions to pay for themselves
I think it is more to do with the studio being in japan that reduces the production costs. Sony can get a Spiderman 2 made for half what is cost if they moved to malaysia for example

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: saltyashell

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
This game must have cost around 50-75 million mark. There is shortcuts and being cheap baked into the game if you look at it more closely than a perfunctory glance. The map is artificially made big with crossing of rivers prevented, the quests are generally always on the opposite end of the map, the monsters are very few in number

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
I think it is more to do with the studio being in japan that reduces the production costs. Sony can get a Spiderman 2 made for half what is cost if they moved to malaysia for example
I can't accept the fact that Spider-Man 2 cost 300 million. Sony should open more support studios in cheaper places

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I can't accept the fact that Spider-Man 2 cost 300 million. Sony should open more support studios in cheaper places
I think the best decision that sony can take is open up sister studios of their major western studios like ND, SSM, SP in asia. An SSM malaysia or seoul can start of as an understudy for the main studio and slowly build up to releasing their own games over the next 8-10 years

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
That's what they will do, Totoki said so. Not necessarily found new studios but engage in partnerships. Japan, Korea and China will become very important markets for PlayStation. Lots of talent and cheaper in production.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
Square Enix aren’t the only ones claiming their games didn’t meet expectations.

You have the whole media saying it.

Of course DD2 won’t get the same treatment cause it is multi-platform.

Know what I mean?
I understood perfectly, I was referring to Square Enix's own expectations

Reactions: Muddasar

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
Definitely part of it. Compared to the dollar, the yen is at its lowest point since the 1980s. I was just in Japan a few weeks ago and I felt like I was rich because of the buying power of the dollar.

Reactions: Diah