Dragon's Dogma 2 sold 3 million copies

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
This shows that DD1 gained a cult following over a long period of time and sold a lot of copies (11.7 million is a ton). DD2 should have sold a lot of copies given that it has a big following and is a multiplatform game. Not sure why that's hard to understand.

It probably would've had much better sales had DD2 not repeated the sins of DD1 which is to run poorly on target hardware.
DD1 was horrendous on PS3/360 and DD2 runs fairly badly on PS5/Xbox/PC.
To me it's quite clear Itsuno can't quite manage performance as a director of an open world project.
Almost all his other modern games have been DMC, which are literal corridors.

-----

Everything turns into a FF discussion around here.

FFXV - 5 Million in 3 days
FF7R Part 1 - 3.5 Million in 3 days
FFXVI - 3 Million in 1 week
FF7R Part 2 - ??? Let's say 2.5M in 1 week even though there is a chance it is lower.

I wonder why Square-Enix might be unsatisfied by the current trajectory?
Maybe it's because their flagship franchise has been going down in opening sales since 2016?
This isn't rocket science.

At the end of the day, not a single publisher is going to enjoy their strongest IP being in a weaker spot than previously.
This is especially true when said publisher has ALWAYS had issues coming up with new successful IPs which is certainly something Square Enix has been known to have.

When so much of your revenue comes FF and DQ, any downward trend is more than just an annoyance.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
This shows that DD1 gained a cult following over a decade and sold a lot of copies (11.7 million is a ton). DD2 should have sold a lot of copies given that it has a big following and is a multiplatform game. Not sure why that's hard to understand.
Exactly the franchise grow.

3 million for DD2 is really great for Capcom because the franchise grow.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Yes it is a remaster with added content... did you add remaster sales when comparing launch numbers?
I did not counted Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age as FFXII sales.
Square Enix does it. They accumulate original sales + remaster.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Square Enix does it. They accumulate original sales + remaster.
That screw up comparisons.

If you add the remaster than FFXII sold over 6 million at launch.... see the issue? If they launch another remaster to PS6 then it will be 7 million at launch? 8 million? Keep launching remaster or GOTY editions to add more launch sales...

These are not launch sales... they are remaster / relaunch edition sales.

But I saw you got the point that makes people talking about FF dumb... one franchise grew and another declined.
It doesn't matter how many millions it sold... the point is one declined and the other grew.. grow is good, decline not.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
That screw up comparisons.

If you add the remaster than FFXII sold over 6 million (perhaps 7 million) at launch.... see the issue?
I don't see the issue. Original and Remasters are the same game in its core. It doesn't matter if a remaster has QoL improvements and/or DLCs. It's not like there is a metric, which says remasters don't count. Anyway the first Dragon's Dogma sold 8m and that's a lot.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't see the issue. Original and Remasters are the same game in its core. It doesn't matter if a remaster has QoL improvements and/or DLCs. It's not like there is a metric, which says remasters don't count. Anyway the first Dragon's Dogma sold 8m and that's a lot.
They count as remaster / relaunch sales... not as original sales.

The first DD sold 1.3 million.
The remaster sold 7.4 million.

From DD to DD2 the franchise grew.
That is what every single publisher or developer in the business calls a success.

The opposite to what is happening with FF franchise for a decade already... each new game, lower sales.

That again it is dumb to try to cover the issues with FF franchise decline using other franchise success lol
It is in fact nonsensical.

It is like blaming the low Xbox hardware sales on Sony success (yeap Xbots do that).

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Do the math.

Old FFs sold around 3 million alone in Japan.

You made the claim.

Back it up.

Forget 5 million at launch, many haven’t even sold that amount in lifetime sales.

The Final Fantasy series of JRPGs consists of the following mainline games:

Point to me which of these games sold 5 million at launch.

Most according to you.

I might add, FF7, FF8, FFX, FF12 numbers are inflated because they have been on sale for decades with remasters and rereleases.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
GOTY and one of the finest games this gen.

You guys can hate because it took all the clout from ROTR, but this series is legendary and itsuno did a great job with the sequel, hoping for better replay able content DLC in the future.

Funny how people hyped this up to the moon, only to realize it’s still OG DD and all of its weird tidbits and we’re dissappinted. From a fan of the OGI, it was incredible!

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You made the claim.

Back it up.

Forget 5 million at launch, many haven’t even sold that amount in lifetime sales.

The Final Fantasy series of JRPGs consists of the following mainline games:

Point to me which of these games sold 5 million at launch.

Most according to you.

I might add, FF7, FF8, FFX, FF12 numbers are inflated because they have been on sale for decades with remasters and rereleases.
VGCharts lol
C'mon you must be joking.

You need west sales to FF games released on west.
For example... FFIV (II) and FFVI (III) where released on west.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
VGCharts lol
C'mon you must be joking.

You need west sales to FF games released on west.
For example... FFIV (II) and FFVI (III) where released on west.

Well I did one better than you. I have provided a source.

You made the claim, back it up with a better one then.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well I did one better than you. I have provided a source.

You made the claim, back it up with a better one then.
I already give you FFXII sales but let's do the rest lol

FFVII
Famitsu launch: ~2m
NPD launch: ~1.5m

FFVIII
Famitsu launch: ~2.5m
NPD launch: ~1.6m

FFIX
Famitsu launch: ~1.95m
NPD launch ~2.33m

FFX
Famitsu launch: ~1.75m
NPD launch: ~2.75m

How much do you believe they sold in EU and RotW?
Less than 1 million will put all of them except FFVII at over 5 million launch sales.

Of course FF never released outside Japan didn't do 5 million... these are FFII, FFIII and FFV.
FFI, FFIV and FFVI probably didn't do either but we have no data to said either... but these FFs where the age of rise of the franchise... each new entry sold more than the previous one.

Buy hey... from FFVII to FFXV all mainlines FFs did around 5 million at launch.
We are talking about near 2 decades selling at these numbers.

You have 3 ages of FFs.

FFI - FFVI: The rise... each new entry selling better than the previous
FFVII - FFXV: The peak... each new entry selling around 5 million at launch... not suprised the best selling lifetime FFs are here.
FFR - FFVI - The decline... each new entry selling less than the previous.

You can of course say the decline started with FFXV... it did sold like the previous age but it reception was so bad that probably affected the next games in the franchise.... so in terms of perception (not sales) FFXV probably cabe be into the "Decline" age.

Last edited:

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
GOTY and one of the finest games this gen.

You guys can hate because it took all the clout from ROTR, but this series is legendary and itsuno did a great job with the sequel, hoping for better replay able content DLC in the future.

Funny how people hyped this up to the moon, only to realize it’s still OG DD and all of its weird tidbits and we’re dissappinted. From a fan of the OGI, it was incredible!
Who mentioned Rise of the Ronin here? Ronin will sell very good, Temco confirmed that their sales expectations were exceeded. So no worries about Ronin.
DD2 was a fine experience. Could be GotY among Rebirth who knows. Anyway that wasn't the point why folks are being cynical.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Who mentioned Rise of the Ronin here? Ronin will sell very good, Temco confirmed that their sales expectations were exceeded. So no worries about Ronin.
DD2 was a fine experience. Could be GotY among Rebirth who knows. Anyway that wasn't the point why folks are being cynical.
it has no chance to win. FF7R, Yakuza Infinite Wealth is better games. Unicorn Overlord, Prince of Persia, Tekken 8 and few others are rated higher too.
and year aren't even finished.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Are you serious when you compare a popular franchise like Final fantasy with a niche franchise like dragon's dogma ?

FGgXaIn.jpeg

Really ?

881903961265799208.webp
I don't think you can call Final Fantasy a popular franchise any more.