Embracer Group announces large-scale restructuring program including layoffs, studio closures, and game cancellations

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Eat shit you literal fucking retard. They've owned THQN for a decade now and Plaion for five years. You want games? Okay brainlet

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Lightyear Frontier, The Stretchers, Fishing: (a series of hardcore commercial fishing sims you are likely too casual to have heard of,) Satisfactory, Huntdown, Valheim, Goat Sim 3, Songs of Conquest, Combat Champions, Tiny Tina's Wonderland, the Borderlands vn, Let's Sing (comes out every year), Hotwheels Unleashed (series), Ride (series), MotoGP (series), MXGP (series,) SBK (series), Monster Energy Supercross (series), MXvATV (series), Shadow Warrior 3, Evil West, Space Punks, Gloomhaven, WWZ: Aftermath, Dakar Rally, Redout, Evil Dead, the Crysis trilogy remasters, Arcana FS, Painkiller 1's later DLC, Spellforce 2: FD, This is the Police 1 and 2, Spellforce 3, Sine Mora, Baja: EC, Elex, Wreckfest, Jagged Alliance: Rage, Fade to Silence, Desperados 3, Titan Quest remake and new DLC, AquaNox, Kingdoms of Amalur remastered (and new DLC), Maneater, Chorus, Little Nightmares 2, Trek to Yomi, Biomutant, Deep Rock Galactic, Spongebob Rehydraded and Cosmic Shake, Mud Runner and Snow Runner, Darksiders Warmastered, Darksiders 3, Red Fraction: Re-Mars-tered, Risen, Risen 2, Kingdom Come, Metro Exodus, Saints Row (2022), and Dead Island 2.
Good Burger Reading GIF

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
He deserves the anger. He's arguing in bad faith.
Nah, there is no reason to be this angry over this subject. Get a hold of yourself fella.

I also think that you guys are taking the concept of releasing no game too literally.

• brain

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Claim: They release no games

Counter-claim: Here's a list of games

New claim: You're too literal
If you think that's an impressive list, cool. I think it's absurd for a company that was worth close to $15B a few years ago to have such an unimpressive output. Something ain't right with them.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Claim: They release no games

Counter-claim: Here's a list of games

New claim: You're too literal
They hate AA games. They hate people having fun. They wish there were only 20 games released every year, all cinematic 3PS with mocap and phoned in movie star voice acting.

• haha

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
If you think that's an impressive list, cool. I think it's absurd for a company that was worth close to $15B a few years ago to have such an unimpressive output. Something ain't right with them.

I didn't say it's an impressive list. Again, I don't give a fuck about any of those games. I proved the claims wrong, and that's it.

They hate AA games. They hate people having fun. They wish there were only 20 games released every year, all cinematic 3PS with mocap and phoned in movie star voice acting.

Not sure if that's it.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Eat shit you literal fucking retard. They've owned THQN for a decade now and Plaion for five years. You want games? Okay brainlet, I'll do your homework for you. Lightyear Frontier, The Stretchers, Fishing: (a series of hardcore commercial fishing sims you are likely too casual to have heard of,) Satisfactory, Huntdown, Valheim, Goat Sim 3, Songs of Conquest, Combat Champions, Tiny Tina's Wonderland, the Borderlands vn, Let's Sing (comes out every year), Hotwheels Unleashed (series), Ride (series), MotoGP (series), MXGP (series,) SBK (series), Monster Energy Supercross (series), MXvATV (series), Shadow Warrior 3, Evil West, Space Punks, Gloomhaven, WWZ: Aftermath, Dakar Rally, Redout, Evil Dead, the Crysis trilogy remasters, Arcana FS, Painkiller 1's later DLC, Spellforce 2: FD, This is the Police 1 and 2, Spellforce 3, Sine Mora, Baja: EC, Elex, Wreckfest, Jagged Alliance: Rage, Fade to Silence, Desperados 3, Titan Quest remake and new DLC, AquaNox, Kingdoms of Amalur remastered (and new DLC), Maneater, Chorus, Little Nightmares 2, Trek to Yomi, Biomutant, Deep Rock Galactic, Spongebob Rehydraded and Cosmic Shake, Mud Runner and Snow Runner, Darksiders Warmastered, Darksiders 3, Red Fraction: Re-Mars-tered, Risen, Risen 2, Kingdom Come, Metro Exodus, Saints Row (2022), and Dead Island 2.
Calm down kiddo.
serenity GIF

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Eat shit you literal fucking retard. They've owned THQN for a decade now and Plaion for five years. You want games? Okay brainlet, I'll do your homework for you. Lightyear Frontier, The Stretchers, Fishing: (a series of hardcore commercial fishing sims you are likely too casual to have heard of,) Satisfactory, Huntdown, Valheim, Goat Sim 3, Songs of Conquest, Combat Champions, Tiny Tina's Wonderland, the Borderlands vn, Let's Sing (comes out every year), Hotwheels Unleashed (series), Ride (series), MotoGP (series), MXGP (series,) SBK (series), Monster Energy Supercross (series), MXvATV (series), Shadow Warrior 3, Evil West, Space Punks, Gloomhaven, WWZ: Aftermath, Dakar Rally, Redout, Evil Dead, the Crysis trilogy remasters, Arcana FS, Painkiller 1's later DLC, Spellforce 2: FD, This is the Police 1 and 2, Spellforce 3, Sine Mora, Baja: EC, Elex, Wreckfest, Jagged Alliance: Rage, Fade to Silence, Desperados 3, Titan Quest remake and new DLC, AquaNox, Kingdoms of Amalur remastered (and new DLC), Maneater, Chorus, Little Nightmares 2, Trek to Yomi, Biomutant, Deep Rock Galactic, Spongebob Rehydraded and Cosmic Shake, Mud Runner and Snow Runner, Darksiders Warmastered, Darksiders 3, Red Fraction: Re-Mars-tered, Risen, Risen 2, Kingdom Come, Metro Exodus, Saints Row (2022), and Dead Island 2.
Just ignore ethomaz, he's an idiot. I got him on ignore for a reason.

24 Jun 2022
This will most likely have some sort of impact of the Xbox projects Crystal Dynamics took over.

Perfect Dark just got pushed back another two years…

In some bizarre world Activision deal falls thru and MS is blocked from acquisitions for a minute. Sony buys embracers fire sale scraps on fire sale and somehow Sony ends up owning the developer on Xbox exclusive Perfect Dark.

That's a funny scenario, but in reality Embracer is not worth buying for Sony. I think Sony need more Japanese or Asian 1P teams; going after Embracer would not do anything there.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
KOTOR must be one of the cancelled project and that was with Sony. Everything else is small besides Metro, Dead Island and Tomb Raider. Borderlands is 2k.
KOTOR is a very insigh case imo...

Sony has a way to work and it is not the first time they dropped supports or investiment in a developer that is archiving the results expected.
I hope it goest ahead but the chances are very slim... Embracer already chanced developer twice and shows they have no ideia what they are doing...

How can Sony keep supporting that? Unless Sony use their own studio (something Embracer doesn't want because they own the IP) the changes to the game really beome something good is very small :(

It is sad to sell dozen of IPs in the hads of a company without organization or expertize to honer these IPs names.
For me it is clear the developer studios assigned by Embracer is not at the qualitication level the IP deservers.

And I'm not saying that to harm the developer... there are developers with different skills... some works bettter with Indies... others up to AA gaming... but for AAA it needs more expertise so a know AA studio show not get the hands in a big IP that deservers AAA threatement (and what Sony expected from it).

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
People says you are wrong but instead of list GAMES released they list aquisited STUDIOS.

That is exactly the issue here.

Show me the games relesed from these studios for PlayStation after the aquisition.
You said "Never developed a single game", showing again that you are blatantly wrong and have issues accepting reality.

The list of games they released is too big, both published by Embracer publishers or developed by Embracer studios for other publishers.

I already wasted too much time with you listing most of publishers and development studios they own as a recap. If you want to know specific list the games, go to the website or wikipedia page of each one of these development studios or publishers, the list is huge.

They release mostly AA games and mobile games every years, and now are also starting to release a little more (even if isn't their main output) AAA games.

In their latest quarterly financial report, they mention to have 221 game development projects and 11426 developers (total headcount of 16601 people). These are the upcoming games for console and PC announced (obviously there are more unannounced):

image.png

image.png

But we were told acquisitions and consolidation is good for job and financial security?
Yes, it is the case. Many acquisitions save studios who were going to shut down and fire everyone there. By being acquired, a studio continues alive at least a few years more and at least most of their jobs continue there alive.

In other cases, where the acquired studio or pubisher is in a healthier position, becoming part of a bigger company gives them easier access to bigger budgets, in addition to access to many internal services (bigger marketing, PR, localization, support studios, etc).

But yes, obviously the bigger companies also fire people and shut down studios when it makes sense for them.

No one can manage that many studios. Hopefully this helps them get their act together. The strategy of throw a lot of shit at the wall and see what sticks was never going to work
To have a shit ton of studios doesn't seem to be an issue for them.

As an example in their most recent quarter they shown a 79% increase of their sales compared to the previous year while also posting profits.

image.png

image.png

image.png

The thing is that they have been growing a lot in recent years via acquisitions, and now they'll pause acquisitions and reorganize internally to become more efficient, reducing many redundancies that may have appeared related to these acquisitions and taking more advantages of the potential synergies that these acquisitions gave them.

As an example, they acquired some interesting IPs like Tomb Raider, so maybe can use it somewhere in other studios, like to make comics, tabletop games or mobile games.

They want to reduce the projects using external IPs and focus more internal IPs, and also reduce the projects developed by them but published by someone else to focus more on selfpublished titles.

This restructuring would make them more independent, they would depend less on external publishers or IP holders, while also making them more profitable, something that also would help to reduce faster the (non-worrying) debt they have.

That's a funny scenario, but in reality Embracer is not worth buying for Sony. I think Sony need more Japanese or Asian 1P teams; going after Embracer would not do anything there.
I think companies like Embracer shouldn't be bought by any platform holder.

They make a shit ton of AA and a few AAA games that cover many different niches, and these games are needed to be in all platforms to make them profitable and also to have a healthier ecosystem across all platforms.

I think Sony should continue focusing on growing their existing teams and providing them any internal help or support they may require in order to help them work in 3 or 4 games at the same time in case of the big studios while also reducing the amount of external outsourcing they may require (which would increase as their amount of inhouse developments keep increasing).

I think they also should keep increasing the amount of 2nd and 3rd party exclusivities.

In the mid to long term, a few years from now, once they go back to continue acquisitions I think they should focus in the main game types where they don't excel or dominate with their first party output to depend less on 3rd party output.

I'm confident that with the acquisitions of Bungie, Firewalk or Haven (and I bet Arrowhead will follow them if Helldivers 2 gets good reviews and sales as the first one did) they'll make a great job in highly growing their presence in shooters, MP and GaaS.

I think their next growth areas may or should be these:
  • Mobile RPG (targeting mostly Asia, acquiring someone who could help them bring some of their IPs to mobile respecfully, with good standards, already very successful in mobile and also experienced on making mobile+console games. I think MiHoyo would be one the best fits)
  • Console RPG (maybe getting Square Enix or at least one or two of their top studios and IPs, or MiHoyo, plus FromSoft for Bloodborne or Capcom for Monster Hunter, or Sega -even if this acquisition could be troublesome- for Persona and Like a Dragon)
  • Fighting (maybe getting Capcom and/or ARC or Dimps)
  • Horror (maybe getting Capcom for Resident Evil or that former Until Dawn devs studio, or FromSoft for Bloodborne)
  • Sports (maybe growing San Diego studio to also make a soccer or basket game focusing on EU market with EU licenses, since MLB is too focused in USA only)
  • Arcade racing (growing Firesprite hiring former Codemasters, Lucid and Sumo devs to increase their number of former Studio Liverpool and Evolution members, to reboot Wipeout or Motorstorm -maybe merging both IPs into a single one- to turn them into their Forza Horizon / The Crew / Mario Kart)
  • Indie gems (get Annapurna and / or Devolver as another SIE publishing label in addition to PS Studios and Bungie giving them freedom, to get qualilty small mobile gem games and secure quality indies for PS, both console exclusive and multiplatform)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Its been a month and a half and rather than actually closing any studios they've instead issued new shares to raise capital. Their management team is so getting fired at the end of this quarter.