Enthusiasm for the PS5 Pro seems to be non-existent amongst most video game developers, with most claiming there is no need for it

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well the beauty of a 4090 is it has far more application than just gaming, and in terms of gaming it has far more application than a fixed system.

It's actually 60% faster but that is neither here nor there. Outside of the strict gaming community and people I'm familiar with there many of the people I know including myself use the card for 3D engine work and 3D rendering.

The application there is massive, and for the fraction of the cost of an Nvidia workstation GPU you get many of the benefits.

Nobody is salty about anything which is a weird take to have in the first place. The most successful game PlayStation has probably ever had that being Helldivers 2 is being played on 1050 TI's right now.

Aside from the obvious it's not much of a flex rattling on about a potential nine month away release of a console that will be computationally dated 4 years at its point of release.

Even where we sit right now with what is available at the time of this post the PS5 Pro would be middle of the road, not at all accounting for what's going to be released at the end of this year.
People buying 4090s for production work are like 1% of the gaming community or less, why even bring it up?

*edit* also the 4090 is not 60% better than the 4070 Ti Super. The margin is 45%.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
People buying 4090s for production work are like 1% of the gaming community or less, why even bring it up?
Why not include an entirely functional reason for owning something that goes beyond the reach of gaming, actually aids gaming and can even be used solely for said purpose justifiably?

Even photographers use them.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Well the beauty of a 4090 is it has far more application than just gaming, and in terms of gaming it has far more application than a fixed system.

It's actually 60% faster but that is neither here nor there. Outside of the strict gaming community and people I'm familiar with there many of the people I know including myself use the card for 3D engine work and 3D rendering.

The application there is massive, and for the fraction of the cost of an Nvidia workstation GPU you get many of the benefits.

Nobody is salty about anything which is a weird take to have in the first place. The most successful game PlayStation has probably ever had that being Helldivers 2 is being played on 1050 TI's right now.

Aside from the obvious it's not much of a flex rattling on about a potential nine month away release of a console that will be computationally dated 4 years at its point of release.

Even where we sit right now with what is available at the time of this post the PS5 Pro would be middle of the road, not at all accounting for what's going to be released at the end of this year.
Your mention of the gaming card having a number of the same benefits of the workstation GPU reminded me of the time I tried to mod a Geforce card by moving a resistor. Supposedly it turned a standard gaming card into whatever the workstation brand was at the time (I don't remember the name), and you were able to then install the workstation driver and get the realtime performance that was enabled by that in 3D rendering applications. I think it made the OpenGL performance much better, and direct3D was less important.

Anyway, I bricked it. 😂

• haha

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If Sony wasn't porting their games to PC the best looking PS5 Pro game would look much better than anything on PC when Naughty Dog, SSM, etc, started to drop their current gen only games.

There is hardly any dev making high production value PC only games not tied down to the likes of the Series S or worse.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
If Sony wasn't porting their games to PC the best looking PS5 Pro game would look better than anything on PC when Naughty Dog, SSM, etc, started to drop their current gen only games.

There is hardly any dev making high production value PC only games not tied down to the likes of the Series S.
Had a bunch of insecure pc fanboys in the HFW pc port announcement trailer youtube vid tell me that it would look soooo much better on their pc than on console

Lol, no it doesn't. The console version looks almost exactly like the pc version.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Had a bunch of insecure pc fanboys in the HFW pc port announcement trailer youtube vid tell me that it would look soooo much better on their pc than on console

Lol, no it doesn't. The console version looks almost exactly like the pc version.
Yeah can confirm maxed out the main difference is framerate.

Even on PS4 HFW looks really good, better than many current gen games just like TLOU2. On PS5 it looks stunning and Nixxes did a good port.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Who the hell is dynamitecop lol

walking dead daryl GIF

I am Dynamite-cop

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Moving the goal post to attack lol

I never said PS5 Pro won’t happen… I even said there are advantages for consumers.

But you guys are in denial about the fact that developers talks in a lot of GDC in the past that mid-gen upgrades increase the cost of the games.

Cerny himself said itx

Developers doesn’t like mid gen upgrades because it needs extra work from their side.
It is so easy to understand but we are here with the same bullshit in denial.

Good part of increase in game development costs is the increase of number of hardware and optional modes.
And before you again mislead the PC case… in consoles developers have to do what the own consumer plus AMD/nVidia do in PC.

Cool. Developers dont seem to like anything. Im sure they would all rather work from home, get paid 200k and have 3 day weeks like all of us. Making a good game and putting effort is extra work.

Im not saying it doesnt need extra work, Im saying its not that big of a deal like some of you make out to be.

Another reason they are doing a pro is because Xbox probably had plans on a mid gen upgrade too. And it would of been bad it PS didnt have one too.
I still think Xbox will wait a year and either release a mid gen or release the next Xbox early like 360. They seem to keep thinking they can pull one over on PS

Last edited:
Reactions: Eggman

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
They run in a backward compatibility state i.e. half the CU's are disabled and nothing on the code is altered so the game will run to the parameters and limits which were designated to it via the original PlayStation 5.

The games work ofc, but they have to be ported to make use of the additional compute, they have to be ported and optimized around the new hardware, they have to have the settings manually applied via additional coding in order to operate with a greater graphical and performance output.

For some bizarre reason you are conflating PS5 and PS4 with PS5 Pro and PS5.

The Pro doesnt need to do the same as a PS5 does to run PS4 games.

Do you not understand the point of a Pro console? How did anyone like this nonsense?

Edit: ah I see he's banned, good, just spouting a bunch of bullshit

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
The AI upscalling needs to be coded to the game use it in PS5 Pro like DLSS needs to be coded to the game uses it.
That is exactly what you guys are in denial.

Like you have to code a new profile to use the PS5 power on PS4 games... you need to patch the game.

To release a game with support for PS5 and PS5 Pro you will need to code, otimize and tests different profiles.... in your own example the PS5 Pro profile will use the AI upscaling coded in the game while the PS5 profile not.
That is the same for now many different hardware and profiles you have.

That is extra working costs for each one of them.
The examples you guys give add extra working costs to developers that exactly shows what I'm explaining here.
Why do you keep repeating nonsense?

Here its what is being said about the PS5 Pro and AI upscaling (PSSR)

The console will reportedly come with Sony’s upscaling technology, dubbed PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR), which can upscale 1080p games to 4K resolution, potentially offering improved image quality across the PS5 game library, including titles from the previous generation.

Developers can leverage PSSR to enhance visuals, without necessitating updates to the software development kit (SDK). This means older games can receive a visual face-lift as result of enhancements in the new hardware.

The entire point if it is to upgrade visuals without work by developers

The PS5 Pro is not the same as a PS5 running PS4 games, that isnt how anything works and there arent "different profiles". Its the same system except one has better components to run games better and improve visuals.

Please just stop commenting when you clearly have no clue what you are talking about

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Polyh3dron

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Why do you keep repeating nonsense?

Here its what is being said about the PS5 Pro and AI upscaling (PSSR)

The entire point if it is to upgrade visuals without work by developers

The PS5 Pro is not the same as a PS5 running PS4 games, that isnt how anything works and there arent "different profiles". Its the same system except one has better components to run games better and improve visuals.

Please just stop commenting when you clearly have no clue what you are talking about
Doubt it is like that.

Developers needs to code to use the PSSR in their games like DSLL needs to be coded in any game that wants to use it.

It is not magical.

Plus from the leaks developers needs to add some stuffs (aka code, optimize, test) in the PS5 Pro mode to have the “PS5 Pro Enhanced” seal.

Others forms of “Enhanced” label are if you increase resolution, add or improve RT, etc… that basically all needs code.

The only games that will have magically “enhancements” without any patch (dev code) are the ones with unlocked framerate and/or unlocked DRS.

It is pretty much like happened with PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Doubt it is like that.

Developers needs to code to use the PSSR in their games like DSLL needs to be coded in any game that wants to use it.

It is not magical.

Plus from the leaks developers needs to add some stuffs (aka code, optimize, test) in the PS5 Pro mode to have the “PS5 Pro Enhanced” seal.

Others forms of “Enhanced” label are if you increase resolution, add or improve RT, etc… that basically all needs code.

The only games that will have magically “enhancements” without any patch (dev code) are the ones with unlocked framerate and/or unlocked DRS.

It is pretty much like happened with PS4 Pro.
Next iteration of FSR will be very similar to DLSS
every developer will be using this technology outside of indie games which won't need it anyway

It's not going to be a big deal to implement this, especially for 3rd party devs who regularly release on PC with this kind of tech already in the engine

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar