Epic vs. Steam: the console war reimagined on the PC. Which is the best gaming store!

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Then ask for Cross Save? Which I wouldn't be against.

Asking for Cross Buy from a First Party Game on a Platform that they have to pay to publish their games is again silly?

You're asking for a one price fits all? So Sony makes one sale through Cross Buy ... But they now have to give up 30% of all sales? Again how does this make sense? 💀
I get it on steam, and the expectation that I will get it is so obvious that you considered me disingenuous for making the comparison.

OP
OP
Danja1187

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I get it on steam, and the expectation that I will get it is so obvious that you considered me disingenuous for making the comparison.
You were being disingenuous though? I don't care where people buy Helldivers 2. I simply said it made no sense for Sony to do Cross Buy on Steam? It's literally cutting their revenue by 60%... Going by the 50:50 split the CEO said.

I am all for Cross Save across platforms. And it should be industry standard especially for GaaS. There's no excuse to not enable it for PS+ members at least.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Helldivers is $40, but also has a ton of in-game transactions. I've got a PS5. I bought the Steam version. My save is in the cloud. Why do I have to pay another $40 to play the same game on my PS5? Why can't I carry my in-game purchases with my account on either/any platform?
PS is the publisher's own platform, Steam belongs to Valve. I bet you think you"re entitled to a free burger at Burger King because you bought one at McDonalds.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Some Console players are so used to being gangbanged and bukkaked by platform holders that they just can't see it (see Nintendo)
Do you get a free version on Epic and Microsoft Store when you buy a game on Steam? No? Then open your eyes because you're getting gangbanged the same as everyone else.

It's unfortunate that Steam wins out since it gets me playing the most ways and my PS5 is unused.
Please sell it and move to PC 100%. You will never be satisfied about anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danja1187

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
@Nhomnhom @flaccidsnake I agree Sony should offer cross buy, and they should partner up with Epic to get it done so they don't lose 30%, maybe 10%😄 that with some aggressive DRM. It would at least make their PC initiative make a bit of sense since it brings some real competition to Steam who are now their biggest threat. It's 3 birds with 1 stone.
They should have their own store, fuck Epic.

Great opportunity to make a store for MacOS/Linix/Windows. Have crossbuy, trophies, PS+ extra, PSVR2 support and eventually their own portable.

That is how you compete with Steam. They should also copy Steam when it comes to refund policies, including on PlayStation.

If they are set in keeping releasing their games on PC at least add Denuvo to stop/delay piracy. Why is it that of all publishers Sony is the one that is unbothered by piracy on PC?

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko and FatKaz

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Sony are dumb.

If they ever decide to bring their own store to pc, they will probably leave their games on steam, making their own store dead.

I fully expect them to do this with the bean counters trying to grab every penny at the cost of their own ecosystem.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's always one way. Sony needs to port all their games to PC Day 1 and give cross-buy, cross-save, cloud and streaming to everyone at no extra cost while getting nothing in return.

Even extra sales on other platforms are frowned upon and anti-consumer. It needs to be free.

They don't ask the same from any other publisher.
Sony is the one that seems OK with their relationship with Valve being completely one sided.

PC players can't be blamed for everything to be going their way. As a PC player I sure won't support a shitty company like EA, MS or Epic over Valve in exchange for nothing in return.

Steam users have the correct mindset to protect what they enjoy.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony is the one that seems OK with their relationship with Valve being completely one sided.
I'm not even talking about Valve only (even if there's a huge double standard with the few games they have - all locked and exclusive to their own platform).

Nobody expects to buy a game once from EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Square or T2 and get extra copies on every platform. It's only Sony that attracts the craziest demands, to make sure they're always crippled and they can't grow.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I'm not even talking about Valve only (even if there's a huge double standard with the few games they have - all locked and exclusive to their own platform).

Nobody expects to buy a game once from EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Square or T2 and get extra copies on every platform. It's only Sony that attracts the craziest demands, to make sure they're always crippled and they can't grow.
It's their loss, you can bet that when Valve introduces their SteamOS consoles you won't have to buy the same game twice.

Sony is stupid to not leverahe it in their favor and for just entering the PC market as if they were just another third party like Ubisoft or EA.

Many publishers like those also force you to their own stores anyway like R* does, even if you buy their game on Steam.

Sony doesn't care at all about the details, they just release their games on Steam and allow them to all be cracked day 1. No wonder they all flop with the exception of GaaS.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

Great opportunity to make a store for MacOS/Linix/Windows. Have crossbuy, trophies, PS+ extra, PSVR2 support and eventually their own portable.

That is how you compete with Steam. They should also copy Steam when it comes to refund policies, including on PlayStation.

If they are set in keeping releasing their games on PC at least add Denuvo to stop/delay piracy. Why is it that of all publishers Sony is the one that is unbothered by piracy on PC?
You gotta let the Epic hate go, they're a great company, and one that Sony should work with more.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
That was just exaggeration, MS is still easily worse but Epic is very similar in their behavior of acting like they are entitled to be the middleman everywhere just because they have money. They share the same approach of never focusing on quality and just throwing their weight around instead.

I don't like their store, I don't like their engine, I don't like Fortnite and I despise Tim Sweeney. Their strategy of paying for timed exclusives and giving games away is never going to work.

But you have one point, Sony could benefit from taking money from Epic games in advance or putting their games there for Steam to take a smaller cut (but would only work if their single player games had Denuvo). I would much prefer if Sony invested in their own store like I suggested instead.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The articles below are not new but they serve the purpose. I see many discussing the benefits and negatives of both steam/epic including valve. Feel free to discuss your opinions here.

Through all these years, Steam stays as the ruling king and the go-to platform of gaming online stores. Launched in 2003, they are still the best platform, with the biggest library of PC games and a social hub for players.

Valve has also created the Source game engine, throughout which they developed hit games like Counter-Strike, Portal, Half-Life, and Dota. To use Steam, you can choose between your navigator or a program download for your PC. Valve also provides its users with Steam’s forums for game discussion and evaluation, and a great user Interface (Steam’s UI).

Even though they had some competitors along the way, Epic Games launcher (released in 2018) turned out to be their biggest challenger for the title of best PC game store.

And Epic Games came to the market targeting Steam’s crown as they wanted to become the most “Epic” Game store. They entered the foe offering all the Epic Games, some timed exclusives, and indie titles alongside a few AAA games. They also offer exclusive timed releases, so it’s normal to find some games being released first in Epic Games Store. Epic also can be used through a navigator or program download

Epic Store is the only place where you can play Metro Exodus, for instance. EGS is growing fast and it’s likely they already are Steam’s greatest fear as both platforms have different strengths and key attributes. Now, the dispute is settled: Steam vs Epic Games Store.