Epic vs. Steam: the console war reimagined on the PC. Which is the best gaming store!

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Im not a fan of Valve/Steam so Id rather Epic. I remember being forced to download that shit for HL2.

And Sony should totally make there own store or work with Epic, Steam is direct competition. I hope Steam does another steambox so Sony learns there lesson.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
That was just exaggeration, MS is still easily worse but Epic is very similar in their behavior of acting like they are entitled to be the middleman everywhere just because they have money. They share the same approach of never focusing on quality and just throwing their weight around instead.

I don't like their store, I don't like their engine, I don't like Fortnite and I despise Tim Sweeney. Their strategy of paying for timed exclusives and giving games away is never going to work.

But you have one point, Sony could benefit from taking money from Epic games in advance or putting their games there for Steam to take a smaller cut (but would only work if their single player games had Denuvo). I would much prefer if Sony invested in their own store like I suggested instead.
Epic doesn’t focus on quality? 😂 They made some of the best and most popular games ever! From Unreal Tournament, to OG Gears of War to Fortnite. They also co developed, funded, and published some of my favorite games ever like Bulletstorm and Alan Wake 2 😁 We wouldn’t have AW2 without Epic, what games is Valve helping to create? NONE! So they definitely do focus on quality, no one can deny that.

Sony should create their own store but who knows how long that’ll take. They already have a huge stake in Epic, so they might as well just use that to their advantage and capitalize off of an already established storefront. Steam is the biggest threat, PC gaming is growing faster than consoles, and since Sony has already given up on true console exclusives, they should partner up with the #2 and make the best of the situation instead of being slaves to Valve forever. Especially if it’ll give PS5/PC owners like us cross buy. They just need to add strong DRM and it will become a true Steam competitor.

EGS can't be trusted so many won't F with it.
Why not? No billion dollar company should be trusted 😂

Im not a fan of Valve/Steam so Id rather Epic. I remember being forced to download that shit for HL2.

And Sony should totally make there own store or work with Epic, Steam is direct competition. I hope Steam does another steambox so Sony learns there lesson.
Exactly, the Steam Deck 2, if done right, will be a direct competitor to the Switch 2 and the PS5/PS6. While Sony is missing their own hardware sales goals, their biggest competitor is ramping up RND for their next hardware. And how does Sony respond? By giving them even more games 😂 can’t make this sh*t up!!

14 Feb 2024
It feels like i only use epic for the free games.. around 90% of my library is exactly that. Also is it me or does the launcher take 20 years to boot up?
I find myself buying off steam since they have better deals.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Attempts to compare Steam and EGS inevitably give EGS too much credit, because nobody is going to exhaustively compare Steam's features. Even in saying Steam wins, they're still underselling the margin of victory. Try using a Dualsense with EGS games, and document the experience.

I completely reject this bullshit about EGS being "curated". It's not curated. It's just arbitrarily which deals Epic could close. Curated implies somebody with good taste is making choices. That's not how it works.

Also it is a GOOD THING that Valve is permissive about publishing on their store. This is a strength of PC that Valve wisely doesn't try to hinder. Why do I care if some piece of shit called "Rape Game" is available on the store if it is never advertised to me? I only know it exists because of click-baity websites trying to make it an issue, giving a shitty edgelord the low-effort publicity they wanted. I prefer that Valve err on the side of permissive access, and let the dogshit fall to obscurity.

Reactions: Zzero

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

So you didn't like to be "forced to download that shit" in 2004, but in 2024, you're fine with a worse version of it? Virtually nobody is shipping PC games as Windows installer EXEs. Everyone forces you to go through some PC portal app. You just have a problem with the only good one.

Starting in 2018, Steam's revenue share past $50M drops from 30% to 20%. This is such an incredible bargain to AAA publishers like Sony it's crazy. Compared with a retail disc, which probably turns out to be < 50% going to the publisher. It's such a a good deal that the costs associated with creating a bespoke console start to look pretty risky. Especially when they're difficult to sell in many parts of the world.

If Valve can actually make a "console" that uses regular PC components, it will be a boon to PlayStation.

Last edited:

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022
Epic doesn’t focus on quality? 😂 They made some of the best and most popular games ever! From Unreal Tournament, to OG Gears of War to Fortnite. They also co developed, funded, and published some of my favorite games ever like Bulletstorm and Alan Wake 2 😁 We wouldn’t have AW2 without Epic, what games is Valve helping to create? NONE! So they definitely do focus on quality, no one can deny that.

Sony should create their own store but who knows how long that’ll take. They already have a huge stake in Epic, so they might as well just use that to their advantage and capitalize off of an already established storefront. Steam is the biggest threat, PC gaming is growing faster than consoles, and since Sony has already given up on true console exclusives, they should partner up with the #2 and make the best of the situation instead of being slaves to Valve forever. Especially if it’ll give PS5/PC owners like us cross buy. They just need to add strong DRM and it will become a true Steam competitor.

Exactly, the Steam Deck 2, if done right, will be a direct competitor to the Switch 2 and the PS5/PS6. While Sony is missing their own hardware sales goals, their biggest competitor is ramping up RND for their next hardware. And how does Sony respond? By giving them even more games 😂 can’t make this sh*t up!!
Because I actually use my brain and know what they have been doing.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
For real, why are the Steam fanboys not asking for acquisitions and studios so they get big AAA exclusives? Valve also needs to sell their platforms, yet they make no such demands. They can coax on 3rd-parties and it's fine.

At least Epic is funding Alan Wake 2 and that game from the Ico dev. They add something to the industry.

Sony needs to do everything themselves or face the ire of the whole market. 3rd-party library is non-existent and doesn't matter according to the internet.

Only Steam is immune from those irrational bitches.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
For real, why are the Steam fanboys not asking for acquisitions and studios so they get big AAA exclusives? Valve also needs to sell their platforms, yet they make no such demands. They can coax on 3rd-parties and it's fine.

At least Epic is funding Alan Wake 2 and that game from the Ico dev. They add something to the industry.

Sony needs to do everything themselves or face the ire of the whole market. 3rd-party library is non-existent and doesn't matter according to the internet.

Only Steam is immune from those irrational bitches.
Valve doesn't need any of that how don't you understand?

Steam gets everything by default simply because how superior of a storefront it is compared to everything else. Valve didn't come knocking on Sony's or MS's door begging for ports, they didn't sign any exclusivity deal with anyone. They make their own games whenever they want because Steam is already established enough to stand on it's own.

Steam isn't doing anything to prevent anyone from having a competitive store, if anything Steam is very tolerant of other publishers doing stuff that they dislike like not supporting Linux, injecting their own storefronts inside games being sold on Steam, etc. Publisher can even sell keys on their own outside Steam.

Over a decade ago Valve was already saying that they compete with the quality and convenience of the service they provide. Too bad other companies can't understand it and it shows.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

Finally I figured out why you are a Epic fanboy, you seem to think Sony will buy them and since you need to support everything Sony does you have to already shill for them.

Most PC players know what Epic and Tim Sweeney are about.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Epic is awesome because of the free games, but has to put in a lot of work on their store. Steam has the better launcher by far. GoG is the second best, all the others are meh. Xbox app on mobile is decent.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Finally I figured out why you are a Epic fanboy, you seem to think Sony will buy them and since you need to support everything Sony does you have to already shill for them.

Most PC players know what Epic and Tim Sweeney are about.
No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Huh? 😂😂 I support everything Sony does? Then why don't I support PC ports, or GAAS, or cloud, or mobile, or the Bungie acquisition? 😂🤣 You have no arguments as to why Epic is bad, so this is what you stoop to? You know damn well I don't support everything Sony does, which really just means you lost and don't know what to say, because there is nothing you can say . 😂😂 Checkmate

I don't think Sony will acquire Epic, nor do i think they should, plus I don't think Epic would even be interested in in being acquired, they have the most popular game in the world. Nothing about your comment makes sense, you just have no argument so you resort to goofy ad hom, cmon bruh!!! 😂 I'll take my W, I'm really undefeated on this forum😎

And "most PC players know what Epic and Tim Sweeney are about"? Umm.. no they don't 🤣 most PC players are nothing but NPC clueless sheep that worship Gaben. And anything that goes against their lord and savior is bad 😂 No one can ever give me a coherent argument about why EGS sucks. The best argument you kids can ever come up with is "exclusives bad" 😂🤣

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Huh? 😂😂 I support everything Sony does? Then why don't I support PC ports, or GAAS, or cloud, or mobile, or the Bungie acquisition? 😂🤣 You have no arguments as to why Epic is bad, so this is what you stoop to? You know damn well I don't support everything Sony does, which really just means you lost and don't know what to say, because there is nothing you can say . 😂😂 Checkmate

I don't think Sony will acquire Epic, nor do i think they should, plus I don't think Epic would even be interested in in being acquired, they have the most popular game in the world. Nothing about your comment makes sense, you just have no argument so you resort to goofy ad hom, cmon bruh!!! 😂 I'll take my W, I'm really undefeated on this forum😎

And "most PC players know what Epic and Tim Sweeney are about"? Umm.. no they don't 🤣 most PC players are nothing but NPC clueless sheep that worship Gaben. And anything that goes against their lord and savior is bad 😂 No one can ever give me a coherent argument about why EGS sucks. The best argument you kids can ever come up with is "exclusives bad" 😂🤣
You can tell yourself whatever you want, you love for Epic makes no sense. I know you are trolling, so it can only come from your unconditional love for Sony.

Since I'm also a fan of PlayStation games I don't like the PC port initiative at all but seems to me like you attribute it to Steam success instead of Sony's poor strategy and long term thinking. Valve didn't do anything to convince Sony to put their games on Steam.

Since you are not on PC you don't remember how much Steam had to fend off against drastically worse stores, including MS push to have their store take over Steam. Steam has a very well deserved position as the default gaming store for PC and it was earner without any doing anything dirty.

PC and consoles are similar in many ways but also distinct and Sony new found love for PC, as well as the fact that they are clueless about the dangers of PC, put a very negative pressure in all their studios to transition to low cost GaaS.

Epic is awesome because of the free games, but has to put in a lot of work on their store. Steam has the better launcher by far. GoG is the second best, all the others are meh. Xbox app on mobile is decent.
If PC players were foolish enough to be lured by these free games Epic would abuse their position. They are a destructive company like MS that have long term plans to take over a market just to then forever abuse players. They want you to have no choice but to use their shitty products.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Valve doesn't need any of that how don't you understand?

Steam gets everything by default simply because how superior of a storefront it is compared to everything else. Valve didn't come knocking on Sony's or MS's door begging for ports, they didn't sign any exclusivity deal with anyone. They make their own games whenever they want because Steam is already established enough to stand on it's own.

Steam isn't doing anything to prevent anyone from having a competitive store, if anything Steam is very tolerant of other publishers doing stuff that they dislike like not supporting Linux, injecting their own storefronts inside games being sold on Steam, etc. Publisher can even sell keys on their own outside Steam.

Over a decade ago Valve was already saying that they compete with the quality and convenience of the service they provide. Too bad other companies can't understand it and it shows.
PSN is also superior and the best marketplace for games on consoles and yet Sony can't go 2 months without releasing games or they get accused of being lazy, disorganized and creatively bankrupt.

People are always threatening to leave PS if Sony can't get their shit together and move to Steam, where there's no worthwile exclusives at all. Nothing in development and nothing to look forward to 🤡

Valve makes nothing besides remastering games from 20 years ago (remasters are fine now!). You're lucky if you get a skin or a hat in Team Fortress.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
PSN is also superior and the best marketplace for games on consoles and yet Sony can't go 2 months without releasing games or they get accused of being lazy, disorganized and creatively bankrupt.

People are always threatening to leave PS if Sony can't get their shit together and move to Steam, where there's no worthwile exclusives at all. Nothing in development and nothing to look forward to 🤡

Valve makes nothing besides remastering games from 20 years ago (remasters are fine now!). You're lucky if you get a skin or a hat in Team Fortress.
Sony charges for PSN while all those features are free on Steam (Steam is also a much better storefront that PSN is).

The moment PC has every game on it including PlayStation games now than the pressure is on Sony to justify why people should buy their console.

Ideally Xbox would die and Sony would stop charging for PS+ then I think they would be in a very similar position of being just the standard console like Steam is the standard PC storefront. I would love for the DualSense to become the standard controller for PC as well.

If the gaming media was shitting on Xbox and Sony for charging for online, for lackluster or no refund policy, for online saves behind a paywall, it would be better for everyone. But apparently the gaming media marches to Xbox beat so they refuse to complain about paid online, about consolidation, about lackluster hardware, featureless gamepad, etc.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
You can tell yourself whatever you want, you love for Epic makes no sense. I know you are trolling, so it can only come from your unconditional love for Sony.

Since I'm also a fan of PlayStation games I don't like the PC port initiative but seems like you attribute it to Steam success instead of Sony's bad strategy. Valve didn't do anything to convince Sony to put their games on Steam.

Since you are not on PC you don't remember how much Steam had to fend off against drastically worse stores, including MS push to have their store take over Steam. Steam has a very well deserved position as the default gaming store for PC and it was earner without any doing anything dirty.

PC and consoles are similar in many ways but also distinct and Sony new found love for PC, as well as the fact that they are clueless about the dangers of PC, put a very negative pressure in all their studios to transition to low cost GaaS.
My love for Epic? My unconditional love for Sony? 😂😂 Again with the baseless ad homs, you really have no argument! And you’re still trying to say I’m not a PC gamer, just because I don’t worship Gaben like you? 😂😂 thank you for proving my point that most PC gamers are nothing but NPCs, mindless sheep!

When did I ever say Valve did anything to get Sony to port their games? You're just making things up. Like I said, YOU already know there's a lot that Sony does that I don't approve of, so trying to paint me as another Yurinka is extremely disingenuous. This just shows that you LOST and have no argument. And in the other thread you kept saying I don't game on PC too, damn you really can't fathom the idea of someone that plays on PC and can think for themselves? 😂🤣 I don't blame you, I'm a rare breed 😎 I'll provide proof though and now you won't have anymore arguments.

Now hold your L and run along lil bro.

image.png

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
My love for Epic? My unconditional love for Sony? 😂😂 Again with the baseless ad homs, you really have no argument! And you’re still trying to say I’m not a PC gamer, just because I don’t worship Gaben like you? 😂😂 thank you for proving my point that most PC gamers are nothing but NPCs, mindless sheep!

When did I ever say Valve did anything to get Sony to port their games? You're just making things up. Like I said, YOU already know there's a lot that Sony does that I don't approve of, so trying to paint me as another Yurinka is extremely disingenuous. This just shows that you LOST and have no argument. And in the other thread you kept saying I don't game on PC too, damn you really can't fathom the idea of someone that plays on PC and can think for themselves? 😂🤣 I don't blame you, I'm a rare breed 😎 I'll provide proof though and now you won't have anymore arguments.

Now hold your L and run along lil bro.

image.png
What has Valve done to deserve all your hatred of them? I can't understand where you are coming from to be honest. Valve is the only storefront that support Linux gaming and that automatically makes them better than any other storefront as far as I'm concerned, specially since I can't see any justification to hate on them.

Also, why are you using Windows bro? Please stop.

Last edited: