Epic vs. Steam: the console war reimagined on the PC. Which is the best gaming store!

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I totally agree there. I wish EGS was competing by offering a better service than Steam does, but they certainly do not do that, and they don't come remotely close. Valve is a private company and isn't beholden to the whims of a Tencent or a board of shareholders. They can do what they want, how they want to do it, and don't need to report constant year-on-year growth to survive. They have no reason to make Steam a worse thing to squeeze more money out of people. Epic, however, is already playing the late stage capitalism game. All those layoffs while having huge profits, not improving their store, just locking up exclusive games that lots of PC consumers don't want to buy purely because of the store they're on. I forget about all the games I own on Epic all the time and have re-bought most of them when they have come to Steam. Now I just wait for them to come to Steam, especially after all the bullshit IOI was talking about how Hitman 3 would never come to Steam. I was stupid enough to believe them. That one, I will only buy on Steam when it hits $10.
You must be out of the loop, EGS has improved significantly in the last year. They’ve addressed almost all the issues people had with the store, and now the only thing Steam has over it is the community features.
you haven't made a single informed point in the thread. try to play an EGS game with a Dualsense.
I’m the only one on this thread making informed posts? And I played Alan Wake 2 on EGS with a DualSense 😂 and it works fine, so not sure why you’re choosing to lie

EGS defenders just don't get that it is worse than nothing for game buyers because its primary "consumer-facing" actions are timed exclusives from third parties, not building its own stuff. Their big pitch is a higher cut to publishers/developers but that just doesn't directly translate for consumers. And what few benefits EGS does give (free games, purchased timed exclusives) will clearly go away if the store ever becomes successful while the bad parts (shit interface, lack of community features, losing easy access to your 20 year old back catalog) will seemingly always be bad.

The hope is, and it seems to be coming true, that people just never switch and Sweeney pulls the plug eventually after realizing that not even free (for now, and probably not the game you want) is cheap enough to get people on his alternate storefront.
More fake news, EGS is improving rapidly and significantly, it feels better and smoother than Steam, which still feels like a crappy web app! You probably haven’t used it in a while
Relevant context:

You gotta admit that was funny 😂