Eurogamer Spec Analysis: PlayStation 5 Pro - the most powerful console yet |UP| 4/1 How Did Sony Beat Microsoft In Machine Learning For Consoles?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well game logic are CPU bounded. Visually game still bounded by GPU.

Also games nowadays support multi-threads. You will see the different at much lower resolutions where more frames have to generate, or have many single logic objects like AIs, props...

None of that bother consoles though. If they want to achieve 60FPS they could lower individual NPCs count or use visual effects to simulate. PS5 have dedicated pipeline so why not use thay
Even multithreaded games have a main thread that is cpu bound, it is very hard to parallelize many game functions not related to graphics

Reactions: Systemshock2023

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Even multithreaded games have a main thread that is cpu bound, it is very hard to parallelize many game functions not related to graphics
I guess what you say, but a modern AAA game barely using more than 2 threads(or 1 core) is a poorly programmed game.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
PS5 Pro existing has nothing to do with GTA6.
It exists because they found some part of their fan base wants a better device in the middle of the generation…
the experiment was already done with PS4 Pro (without a GTA release).

There is a market for Pro even if small.

But it doesn’t matter if you have a PS5 or PS5 Pro GTA6 will run and sell very well.

Both mid life upgrades have there reasons. You don’t just release something for the sake of it.

The PS4 pro was for PSVR. Exactly a month after the PSVR was released.

The PS5 Pro is specially for games like the next GTA and Sonys next line of games like DS2, Wolverine etc.

The fact that these so called experts think you won’t see any improvements in Framerates is ridiculous.

It makes the product redundant.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Both mid life upgrades have there reasons. You don’t just release something for the sake of it.

The PS4 pro was for PSVR. Exactly a month after the PSVR was released.

The PS5 Pro is specially for games like the next GTA and Sonys next line of games like DS2, Wolverine etc.

The fact that these so called experts think you won’t see any improvements in Framerates is ridiculous.

It makes the product redundant.
PS5 Pro has all these games where you have to chose between performance and quality something that was very uncommon back in the PS4 days.

The problem is how bad Sony has been historically about going back and patching games. They need to make it a priority this time not only for them but for third party partners as well.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
PS5 Pro has all these games where you have to chose between performance and quality something that was very uncommon back in the PS4 days. The problem is how bad Sony has been historically about going back and patching games.

Not the same level of quality or performance the PS5 Pro will provide.

Again my point is these experts say GTA6 will be 30fps on PS5 Pro.

Why would Sony release the PS5 pro just before GTA6 releases if they are no tangible improvements.

It makes the product redundant. Defies logic.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
PS5 Pro has all these games where you have to chose between performance and quality something that was very uncommon back in the PS4 days.

The problem is how bad Sony has been historically about going back and patching games. They need to make it a priority this time not only for them but for third party partners as well.
That was a lesson I learned with the Pro and the One X. The One X was attached to a platform that had 50% of PlayStation's footprint, came out a year after and by the end had far more games updated for it.

I feel like Sony in many ways just releases something and expects others to carry their product, while in this instance it was clear Microsoft was putting in effort with developers and themselves to ensure games got forward ports.

If they are going to do this again they need to put in the work.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not the same level of quality or performance the PS5 Pro will provide.

Again my point is these experts say GTA6 will be 30fps on PS5 Pro.

Why would Sony release the PS5 pro just before GTA6 releases if they are no tangible improvements.

It makes the product redundant. Defies logic.
Sony doesn't control GTA6, it might be 30fps who knows. Most games are already 60fps and that is a perfect scenario for the PS5 Pro. GTA6 might be 60fps on the base PS5, nobody outside R* knows.

If GTA6 was going to be 30fps and CPU bound there wasn't much Sony could realistically do about it given the constraints of a midgen hardware.

Even in a scenario where the PS5 and PS5 Pro both run the game at 30fps the PS5 Pro will still run it much better.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Absolutely, 60fps is the norm nowadays and with a pro coming there makes no sense there wouldn't be one as some of us have been saying. Doesn't matter what GTA did before, this isn't 2013.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I don't get your point, for many years any non ancient 6 core CPUs has been able to play the vast majority of games at 60fps. To compare CPU people use 1080p and low settings and create extremely unrealistic scenarios.
If you play at native 4K just pretty much all recent games are CPU bound.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
This was posted over on gaf, snarky response from DF, but also a bit of early damage control so they don't look like clowns if it does end up being 60fps.

o0Xk5xO.jpg

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
there is absolutely no doubt that the game will have 60fps mode. non.
You have too much faith in R*

I expect it to be unoptimised slop that runs like shit even on the very capable hardware of PS5.

I wonder if that's why there's no PC version at launch? It needs optimising otherwise only 1% of rigs will run it?