Eurogamer Spec Analysis: PlayStation 5 Pro - the most powerful console yet |UP| 4/1 How Did Sony Beat Microsoft In Machine Learning For Consoles?

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
ps5p.png
That's not even the right PS5 Pro codename.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Just to people understand the Dual Issue.

It means you can issue TWO instuctions at the same time to a SP when you meet some rules (sending the same instruction to all SPs in a cluster).
That doesn't mean it will execute both instructions at same time.
It will still execute one instruction after the other.

The gain lies in saving the overhead to make two separably calls.
The gain is minimal to be fair.

And due that AMD used the marketing bullshit to say they GPU are now can do double the TFs they actually do.
And they don't.

A 30TFs RDNA3 will perform similar to 15TFs RDNA/RDNA2.
That's not true, rdna3 actually has extra math ALUs that can process both dual issue fp32 commands if they are actually put into the command buffer, the problem is you have to specifically account for it

rdna2_wgp_insrate-1.png

Notice how in FP32 ADD command specifically it actually has way more compute than the 4090 while being behind it in FMA

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
That's not true, rdna3 actually has extra math ALUs that can process both dual issue fp32 commands if they are actually put into the command buffer, the problem is you have to specifically account for it

View attachment 4564

Notice how in FP32 ADD command specifically it actually has way more compute than the 4090 while being behind it in FMA
but who is going to do that?

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
People will argue about tflops, but I understand and realistically expect that PS5 PRO will run games at 1440P@60 with RT enabled or 4K@30 RT enabled. It will use AI upscaling to achieve these performance targets.
This is really good. Day 1 for me.
We're not even arguing about teraflops, we're arguing about the intrinsic nature of what dual issue teraflops actually mean and how in functional reality as it relates to gaming only half of the figure ends up being its rendering throughput.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
People, ignore the dual issue bullshit that won't be used. The damn thing is 16.7 terrorflops, that's it.

@PlacidusaX stop spewing nonsense that only muddies the waters, the math to calculate terrorflops is pretty easy:

Number of CUs x number of shaders per CU x clock speed x 2. PS5 is 10.28 TF or something, PS5 pro assuming the specs are correct will be 16.74 TF. That's it. Dual issue is marketing bullshit that won't have real world application.

Edit: And this whole RDNA 235 conversation - it doesn't fucking matter. Both the PS5 and Series consoles have an hybrid of RDNA architectures even with some legacy Vega shit. They are bespoke APUs, with the Xbox one being more off the shelf and the PS5 being more customised.

Who the fuck cares if it's RDNA 3 or 4? This is the same conversation from back 2020 and then the tower of power was proven not to be the best console.
A voice I can actually trust in here on what's really going on.

Still a slut though :)

Reactions: Darth Vader

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
We're not even arguing about teraflops, we're arguing about the intrinsic nature of what dual issue teraflops actually mean and how in functional reality as it relates to gaming only half of the figure ends up being its rendering throughput.
TFs numbers nowadays are BS.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
I from the beginning said 3 X the PS5 GPU comparing just the GPU's.

Never said we would get this in gaming nor do I think so because of bottlenecks in other parts of the specs.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Can we stop with the whole 33tittyflops please. Even digital fakery doesn't know math.

The PS5 is 10.3 tittyflops fp32
The PS5 pro will be 16.7 tittyflops fp32 unless they have >64 shaders per CU, or double the GPU clock speed.
It's the other way around for me, can we stop quoting this 16tf bs until Sony or AMD does? Nobody is going to call the Pro a 16tf machine because it doesn't say that in the specs, so continue to be disappointed for like ever

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
I from the beginning said 3 X the PS5 GPU comparing just the GPU's.

Never said we would get this im gaming nor do I think so because of bottlenecks in other parts of the specs.
But it's not 3x the GPU which is what you're not grasping haha. Which is the same reason a 6800 at 16.17 teraflops is more powerful than its RDNA 3 counterpart the 7700 XT at 35 teraflops.

That's what you're getting, you're getting a 6800/ 7700xt level GPU. None of this is hard to understand.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It's the other way around for me, can we stop quoting this 16tf bs until Sony or AMD does? Nobody is going to call the Pro a 16tf machine because it doesn't say that in the specs, so continue to be disappointed for like ever
you can calculate it yourself. there is formula how to do that. like, we have all spec. just because Sony aren't saying it is 16, doesn't mean 8+8 isn't 16.