Eurogamer Spec Analysis: PlayStation 5 Pro - the most powerful console yet |UP| 4/1 How Did Sony Beat Microsoft In Machine Learning For Consoles?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
People, ignore the dual issue bullshit that won't be used. The damn thing is 16.7 terrorflops, that's it.

@PlacidusaX stop spewing nonsense that only muddies the waters, the math to calculate terrorflops is pretty easy:

Number of CUs x number of shaders per CU x clock speed x 2. PS5 is 10.28 TF or something, PS5 pro assuming the specs are correct will be 16.74 TF. That's it. Dual issue is marketing bullshit that won't have real world application.

Edit: And this whole RDNA 235 conversation - it doesn't fucking matter. Both the PS5 and Series consoles have an hybrid of RDNA architectures even with some legacy Vega shit. They are bespoke APUs, with the Xbox one being more off the shelf and the PS5 being more customised.

Who the fuck cares if it's RDNA 3 or 4? This is the same conversation from back 2020 and then the tower of power was proven not to be the best console.
33 Teraflops, PSSR, improved RT, ML hardware, RDNA3.5.

Deal with it, Cerny won.

Real world performance when you accout for all the secret sauce will probably be around 66 Teraflops.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Feels like there's an effort to attack the PS5 pro because it's about to take away the "power crown" that Xbox and their hardcore fans are so fond of having. It also seems like MS aren't likely to do anything to reclaim it until next generation, so that fanbase will have to deal with having the less powerful console on top of worse sales.
Exactly what it is and PS5 exclusives which already hold the best visuals crown will be even shinier.
Ruffles many feathers

Reactions: Johnic

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
But it's not 3x the GPU which is what you're not grasping haha. Which is the same reason a 6800 at 16.17 teraflops is more powerful than its RDNA 3 counterpart the 7700 XT at 35 teraflops.

That's what you're getting, you're getting a 6800/ 7700xt level GPU. None of this is hard to understand.
Still waiting for current specs showing less than 33.5TF's.

Cause a simple Google and I can post countless proofs.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
33 Teraflops, PSSR, improved RT, ML hardware, RDNA3.5.

Deal with it, Cerny won.

Real world performance when you accout for all the secret sauce will probably be around 66 Teraflops.
This is a complete disconnect from any semblance of reality.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
Still waiting for current specs showing less than 33.5TF's.

Cause a simple Google and I can post countless proofs.
I don't know how to further explain this to you. It's 33 teraflops dual issue, it will not use dual issue because nothing uses dual issue particularly games.

You will get what is essentially half of the stated teraflop figure.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
A closed system like a console will.
I agree with this. BC and games compiled for ps5 will be using single issue, compile for PS5 pro mode - dual issue. The dev kit will support this.
Oh you guys make me laugh, you really do.

Here comes the secret sauce, it happens every gen with every single console and it never amounts to anything LOL. There's a reason why it's already explained that it's a 45% performance uplift...

Reactions: ethomaz

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

Here comes the secret sauce, it happens every gen with every single console and it never amounts to anything LOL. There's a reason why it's already explained that it's a 45% performance uplift...
Did the ps4 pro not use the checkerboard and stencil buffer to provide 4k?

Reactions: panda-zebra

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I from the beginning said 3 X the PS5 GPU comparing just the GPU's.

Never said we would get this in gaming nor do I think so because of bottlenecks in other parts of the specs.
But it's not 3x. Dual issue has to be specifically accounted for and it won't. Using proper math, it's a 62% ISH percentage increase in "raw power", which matters fuck all because bandwidth has not increased 62%. I'm much more interested in knowing how big each cache is, type of caches, and their upscaling technique.

It's still 16.74TF no matter how much you squirm, just because people want to buy I to marketing bullshit it doesn't matter.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's the other way around for me, can we stop quoting this 16tf bs until Sony or AMD does? Nobody is going to call the Pro a 16tf machine because it doesn't say that in the specs, so continue to be disappointed for like ever
I'm calculating based on actual math and the rumoured/leaked specs. Why would it be disappointed though? I was one of the few that always said terrorflops matter fuck all (with exceptions, of course). I'm just correcting misinformation caused by supposed technical experts that couldn't be arsed to be honest.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
Did the ps4 pro not use the checkerboard and stencil buffer to provide 4k?
That has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about. You guys are trailing off into a land of fantasy and it's going to bite you in the rear.

As mentioned before how did AMD RPM pan out for games? Oh yeah, that was in the PS4 Pro marketing buzz and would you look at that...

Nothing.

You're getting a $500-$600 box, understand where that resides and stop trying to rationalize your way to it being a 4090 competitor, it's ridiculous.

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK

45% performance uplift... that sees an 1800P/30 game upscaled to 4K on base ps5 running at the same IQ on ps5 Pro at 60FPS - double the performance.

That's the very definition of secret sauce - PSSR. It's not a secret, but it's saucy af.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I'm calculating based on actual math and the rumoured/leaked specs. Why would it be disappointed though? I was one of the few that always said terrorflops matter fuck all (with exceptions, of course). I'm just correcting misinformation caused by supposed technical experts that couldn't be arsed to be honest.
Just let it go, its not worth getting annoyed over.

• brain
Reactions: rinzler