Eurogamer: What is the point of Xbox? More Shots fired 🧨

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

The 360 years feel like a lifetime ago. This week, Xbox stunned the industry by announcing it had closed three studios, and repurposed a fourth into another service game support team. This follows the 1900 people laid off across Xbox at the start of this year, and those Xbox employees quietly caught up in the 10,000 layoffs Microsoft made the year before. It has been a disastrous piece of PR self-sabotage, particularly with the reputations of these studios in mind.

Arkane Austin struggled with the uncharacteristic co-op, online shooter elements of Redfall, but before that made the excellent 2017 reboot of Prey and the first, fantastic Dishonored that led to the immersive sim's modern mini-revival. Tango Gameworks, Microsoft's only Japan-based studio that was led, until earlier this year, by horror legend Shinji Mikami, made The Evil Within games and the critically acclaimed, BAFTA-winning breakout Hi-Fi Rush. Roundhouse Studios was founded by the makers of the original Prey, but is now presumably destined to make different coloured leather boots for The Elder Scrolls Online. Alpha Dog made mobile games, an area where Microsoft has been specifically looking to expand. More broadly, for two console generations now, Xbox has floundered under a clear and obvious lack of inventive, attention-grabbing exclusive games. It just bought these studios in 2021.

What is the point of Xbox? Go back through the last 10 years or so, to the end of the 360's golden age and the origins of the Xbox One, and it starts to become clear. The point of Xbox is to achieve, apparently, growth on a massive scale. It is to make more money than it did the year before.

Hi-Fi Rush 2, potential new Dishonored game were reportedly being pitched by now-closed Xbox studios
Read more on Eurogamer.net
This will seem like ancient history now, but bear with me - the mistakes Xbox made in 2013 are, as we'll see, worryingly relevant to the struggles it faces right now. We need to start with the infamous "TV, TV, TV" presentation on stage at E3 2013, where Don Mattrick, Xbox's boss at the time, unveiled plans for the Xbox One. It would be an all-in-one home entertainment device, which was actually quite a nice, interesting, forward-thinking idea (aside from the compulsory bundling-in of the expensive and wildly unpopular Kinect), but the perceived emphasis on non-gaming applications, next to PlayStation's laser targeting of traditional, blockbuster video games and more graphically powerful console, gave the impression Xbox hadn't prioritised its core audience.

It's also the first sign of Microsoft's backwards thinking with the Xbox, where it sought to grow beyond its core audience not by adding to them, by fulfilling its core purpose of creating new games that more people want to play and new ways to play them, but by offering something entirely unrelated and merging the two together.

But the issue with its priorities ran deeper than the hardware. Take the closure of legendary Fable developer Lionhead, in 2016, and the cancellation of Fable Legends that was due to launch that year. As covered in Eurogamer's extensive inside story, it was Microsoft's idea in around 2012, six years after it had bought the once-independent studio, to shift from the single-player RPGs it was known for to a free-to-play, live service multiplayer game in Fable Legends.

The point here, ultimately, is that this cycle has been repeating, and repeating, and repeating, and it does not show any sign of coming to an end. Xbox buys talent, mismanages it in search of impossible scale, and cuts it loose - be that the 20-year experts of Fable, or the battle-scarred makers of Dishonored, or the invigorating new generation behind Hi-Fi Rush. Xbox's leadership clearly knows it's a problem. I believe Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond were utterly sincere when they said they looked at Lionhead and promised themselves not to make the same mistakes again. But to do that, they have to step behind this first, surface-level layer of justification for closing studios, and get to the real cause - not the decisions themselves, but the principles that inform them. The principles that say expertise, creativity and talent are less valuable than the cost to let them flourish.

Dig out the scarlet thread again, and the thing that binds all these moments together couldn't be more clear. The philosophy of a great video game platform holder is that it makes money in order to make more consoles and more games. The philosophy of Microsoft - and by dint of that, Xbox - is evidently that it only makes consoles and games in order to make money. Like so many businesses owned by gigantic, publicly-traded mega-companies, Xbox is now stuck in a cycle of thinking back-to-front. It, and I suspect much of the video game world, no longer knows why it exists.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Man everything I told last decade on forums is just hitting the press minds now :D :D :D
The points every Xbox fan disagreed before is now being the points they are making lol

Nothing changed at all because Xbox never learned... Uncle Phil form 2008 is the same Uncle Phil today.
But Xbox fans keep covering their eyes with the narrative it was being the best hype ever for Xbox lol

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Iconera was right about everything, everyone else is catching up, despite the writing on the wall.
Seriously Bro we are on point about soooooo much. Gamepass Cannabalizing sales and destroying devs. Xbox strategies hurting industry. Future Games being restricted due to budgets and game pass etc... You can find a thread for all of this years ago on here.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
And the takes "Gamers hates Xbox", "Games hates Microsoft", "Nothing Microsoft can do to end this hate", "PlayStation is already impregnated in gamers heads" lol

That is not true at all.
Microsoft never followed the game industry's guide to be successful in the business.
They always thought that only marketing can win everything.
That is why they always failed.
Why people don't like to buy Xbox.

There is delivery, no desire, nothing that appeal the gamers to buy a Xbox.
Of course except the Xbox fans that follow blindly the religion.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I saw this elsewhere and I thought it was funny 🤣

8npVr1s.jpeg
Iconera was right about everything, everyone else is catching up, despite the writing on the wall.
It's like MS stopped paying the media and they can finally speak up. We were all banned for saying this obvious stuff 🤡

Sony PC strategy is next. In a few years, people will finally accept we were right all along.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Reason:

This article is really good. Xbox just fundamentally doesn't understand the gaming audience. The Microsoft leadership is built on fast deliverable and numbers. They expect a certain product to do x numbers by x time and position it to compete with the top of the line products in that category.
From Microsofts perspective if every game isnt competitive with the most successful games the way that their software competes then its not worth it.

They dont understand organic growth by fostering an audience over time and building it by satisfying their wishes.

The Acti/Blizz aquisition proves it.

They refuse to build as organic audience so they will buy someone elses and expect it to produce earth shattering results.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I understand some people mind.

They think about the now without caring about the future consequences.

"With Gamepass I can play tons of games paying very little"

Yeap but that will harm the industry in the mid run.
Publishers, developers, etc everything involved will break up with that model being used like it is.

The question we need to do is...

It is better to have cheap games now or a health industry for ever?
I will always take the second option... I don't want to cut a hobby that I love the most in a few years.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Honestly, Jan-March was pitiful in terms of Xbox console shipments.
April-June is a quarter with two very weak months(April and May) and Xbox getting all this bad PR at the start of this month.
I can't even begin to imagine how little units Xbox will move this quarter.

Xbox has had so much bad PR this year and they haven't even shipped one of their titles.

• brain

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Thats a great read but there's one thing the article does not mention: Microsoft's subcontractor policy and the high levels of attrition. Very hard to put together games like that.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Eurogamer has been making excuses for Xbox for a decade and now they want to say they've been making mistakes for a decade? That's rich.
LOL my first thought but damn at least thy finally say something. A little to late the ship has sunk already and now thy probably just want to save face

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Once Xbox started to port all their games to PC and gave up on making quality exclusives that console served no purpose. I personally never even understood how there are any real Xbox fans, are you a fan of what? Failure?

It's not like it was going great before that but at least until early Xbox One gen I could say Xbox looks like it was at least trying.

• brain

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I saw this elsewhere and I thought it was funny 🤣

View attachment 4966

It's like MS stopped paying the media and they can finally speak up. We were all banned for saying this obvious stuff 🤡

Sony PC strategy is next. In a few years, people will finally accept we were right all along.

I think the people in charge of paying the PR firms and the shills got axed too. Only the freelance bootlickers remain out there.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I think the people in charge of paying the PR firms and the shills got axed too. Only the freelance bootlickers remain out there.

I mean that is part of it, but there are also just people who really benefited from the xbox community and the console wars. And they had a vested interest in propping Xbox up, but few people want to be left holding the bag. Every time Microsoft shoots themselves in the foot, you have fewer people believing this isn't going tits up and they want to get out now so that people have fewer receipts on them as they pivot towards general gaming rather than console warring.