European Annual Report: PS5 +177% Video game sales up 1.7% in Europe during 2023 |

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Video game sales up 1.7% in Europe during 2023 | European Annual Report​

PS5 console sales were up 177% across Europe in 2023, driving the overall console market up 42% (tracked markets only). Switch sales down 10%, while Xbox Series S and X sales are down 18% year-on-year

European GSD 2023 Top 20 (Digital and Physical)​

PositionTitle
1EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
2Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
3FIFA 23 (EA)
4Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
5Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6Diablo 4 (Activision Blizzard)
7The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
8Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
9Super Mario Bros Wonder (Nintendo)*
10Spider-Man 2 (Sony)
11Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (EA)
12Assassin's Creed Mirage (Ubisoft)
13Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
14Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision)
15F1 23 (EA/Codemasters)
16Nintendo Switch Sports* (Nintendo)
17Resident Evil 4 Remake (Capcom)
18God of War Ragnarok (Sony)
19NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
20It Takes Two (EA)

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Nah, I think anybody really wanting to experience Starfield, already played some old PS4 game with long loading screens instead.

Or said &uck tht ima do better and play No Man's Sky in VR.

Realistically, at least on PC, players being money conscious are just going to wait a couple years for deep discount and ask their friends for that "essential mod list".

The Bethesda special.

-----

As usual, EA's football game leads the sales by a comfortable margin. EA Sports FC 24 sold 9% fewer units in 2023 compared with FIFA 23 in 2022, but when you factor in the rebrand and the fact there was a World Cup in December 2022, it's not particularly unexpected.

Pretty soft drop for a rebrand plus no World Cup. FIFA got rekt, apparently still trying to find another studio to make their own competitor :LOL:
MWIII drop is expected.
Diablo 4 could've done better, but the bad Season 1 slowed down the momentum for the game by a lot, big fumble there.
Rockstar's GTAV and RDR2 just keep on selling.
Nintendo doing their thing.
The rest is business as usual.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Realistically, at least on PC, players being money conscious are just going to wait a couple years for deep discount and ask their friends for that "essential mod list".

The Bethesda special.

-----

Pretty soft drop for a rebrand plus no World Cup. FIFA got rekt, apparently still trying to find another studio to make their own competitor :LOL:
MWIII drop is expected.
Diablo 4 could've done better, but the bad Season 1 slowed down the momentum for the game by a lot, big fumble there.
Rockstar's GTAV and RDR2 just keep on selling.
Nintendo doing their thing.
The rest is business as usual.
Yeah those mods do add so much more and extra value. The only thing im jelly in regards to PC gaming well tht and free online.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
COD is down 32% and it was on sale for 30% off all December since Black Friday. I don't think that ever happened before.

The revenue for Activision must be way lower too compared with previous years.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
COD is down 32% and it was on sale for 30% off all December since Black Friday. I don't think that ever happened before.

The revenue for Activision must be way lower too compared with previous years.
It's degrading like we said it would. That 53 meta did not help either. Fast cash grabs are more costly in the long run. Good for them! I Def didn't waste my money!!!

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

The Bethesda special.
didn't even have to wait. starfield was $38 on steam winter sale.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Realistically, anywhere, players being money conscious will buy a good game instead.

Eh, there's still a big portion of the gaming sphere that will buy open world games for cheap to pass the time. We live in a society and all that.

didn't even have to wait. starfield was $38 on steam winter sale.

Yeah but wait a few years and it'll be $20 and below with fixes, new features, Expansion(s) and some transformative mods.

No shit FIFA is dominating the sales in Europe

EA FC*

It matters cause we can all laugh at FIFA, lmao. From getting residuals to... no residuals.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Eh, there's still a big portion of the gaming sphere that will buy open world games for cheap to pass the time. We live in a society and all that.

Oh sure, bad taste is of course thing, but I think we were talking about money conscious people, who - in their money consciousness - would choose a better game.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Didn't FIFA claim they'll make their own FIFA game completely on their own?? It'll be hard to top EA FC 24 (same gameplay mechanics tbh) even PES couldn't since 2010

I mean, that's what they said. But realistically which publisher has the appropriate amount of expertise as well as bandwidth and logistics to make this a reality? I would wager that there's only 2K that would be a "right fit" for that type of venture, provided they agree with the FIFA cut, which is not a given.