European Annual Report: PS5 +177% Video game sales up 1.7% in Europe during 2023 |

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Well, I would say that if you remove Xbox and just compare PlayStation to PC, PlayStation is probably on par or faster growing than pc.
That's just a guess though.
I mean, putting all that dead weight on PlayStations back, makes console look weaker than it is imo.

Don't forget the Switch, can't deny the numbers it has been doing.
Xbox might've massively fumbled but the slack was picked up by the other two console makers big time.

I think PC is growing much faster in recent years, due to emerging markets. But this would just further proves my earlier point.
We all remember the PC gaming days of mid/late 00s and early 10s. Lots of "PC Gaming is dead" rhetoric. To be fair, the market had lost MUCH ground to consoles and mobile. If PC can come back stronger than ever from such a deficit, the consoles which are still riding the high of of PS4 + Switch success are in no danger at all. Anyone saying otherwise is living in an alternate reality.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
computer, enhance
Screenshot-2024-01-16-at-3-13-53-PM.png

:censored:
That's because Clown Dring is counting PS4 and PS5 separately. PS4 is number 4. I bet PS4 + PS5 is bigger than PC.

The installbase of the PS5 is smaller than all the other platforms and it's still number 2. That's impressive and very good news.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That's because Clown Dring is counting PS4 and PS5 separately. PS4 is number 4. I bet PS4 + PS5 is bigger than PC.

The installbase of the PS5 is smaller than all the other platforms and it's still number 2. That's impressive and very good news.
PS5 is killing it and going up great percentages while the other consoles are decreasing in sales. Ain't no stopping this train.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

i'm sure when you add up ps4 and ps5 together it did just great for what it is. attaboy playstation.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Did you miss the first post, where it shows the Switch declining significantly?

Yes? Nintendo Switch being on the decline in year 7 is to be expected, as is the case with all consoles.
We were talking about consumer spending trends worldwide through several years and comparing the growth of PC and Consoles/PS as well as talking about dumb talking points like "consoles are dying" nonsense.

Considering this is about continental Europe, I would very much doubt PS4+PS5 is higher than PC.
PS4 is but a fraction in terms of new software sales.
PS4 the console is still widely played and has an active userbase, but that would mostly skew F2P games and older titles. We know this from a few publishers who do divulge the sales breakdown between PS4 and PS5, it's always but a small fraction of the sales when it comes to PS4 sales.

PS5 is killing it and going up great percentages while the other consoles are decreasing in sales. Ain't no stopping this train.

Xbox is so pathetic, this is year 3, which is more often than not the peak console shipment year. This effect should've been even more pronounced this time around because of the pandemic causing issues in availability and having a pent up demand. But no, we're seeing bigger declines than even the Switch which is an aging console.

As for Nintendo, we're basically in a holding pattern until they finally decide to talk about the next console.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yes? Nintendo Switch being on the decline in year 7 is to be expected, as is the case with all consoles.
We were talking about consumer spending trends worldwide through several years and comparing the growth of PC and Consoles/PS as well as talking about dumb talking points like "consoles are dying" nonsense.

Considering this is about continental Europe, I would very much doubt PS4+PS5 is higher than PC.
PS4 is but a fraction in terms of new software sales.
PS4 the console is still widely played and has an active userbase, but that would mostly skew F2P games and older titles. We know this from a few publishers who do divulge the sales breakdown between PS4 and PS5, it's always but a small fraction of the sales when it comes to PS4 sales.

Xbox is so pathetic, this is year 3, which is more often than not the peak console shipment year. This effect should've been even more pronounced this time around because of the pandemic causing issues in availability and having a pent up demand. But no, we're seeing bigger declines than even the Switch which is an aging console.

As for Nintendo, we're basically in a holding pattern until they finally decide to talk about the next console.
Nintendo is fine bcus switch has been on the market for a long time as you mentioned but yes Xbox is sad especially when they slashed the price by like $200 and still it didn't budge.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Holy shit PS5 #2 in game sales when everyone owns a PC? Punching.

And PS4 beating Xbox lol. Why release on Xbox at all? Just downport to PS4.
I leave you guys this thread of cope, intrigue, sadness and illusion 😂😂😂
Fun read..

• haha

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Nintendo is fine bcus switch has been on the market for a long time as you mentioned but yes Xbox is sad especially when they slashed the price by like $200 and still it didn't budge.

What we're seeing here are the effects of a decade of errors in their strategy and software output but also neglect in terms of non-English efforts. No marketing, bad translations, the works really.
Plus releasing exclusives on PC would also have the most negative effects on potential console customers in the European market specifically. Things are looking real dire over there.

Holy shit PS5 #2 in game sales when everyone owns a PC? Punching.

And PS4 beating Xbox lol. Why release on Xbox at all? Just downport to PS4.

PS4 > Xbox Series is hilarious indeed.

As for PS5 being #2, it's the only spot it can be realistically.
It's not going to beat PC but it will beat the Switch software sales any day due to many games not having a Switch version.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Also is he counting number of games sold or revenue of games sold?

Cause one people could be buying 1-5 dollar games on steam and they'd count.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

You have stumbled upon the reason Hollywood tracks box office revenue instead of tickets sold.

It allows them to keep "Breaking records!" while knowing they will never top the ticket sales of the past.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

Games sold, but remember, those cheap games on Steam would not be part of their "Digital Partner" panel like the big publishers are(minus Nintendo).
So none of those cheap games are counted, which gives you an idea of the PC spending for the region if PC is still #1.

As an extreme example, Baldur's Gate 3 is not on any of the Circana(NPD)/GFK/GSD trackers because Larian Studios is not a partner.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Games sold, but remember, those cheap games on Steam would not be part of their "Digital Partner" panel like the big publishers are(minus Nintendo).
So none of those cheap games are counted, which gives you an idea of the PC spending for the region if PC is still #1.

As an extreme example, Baldur's Gate 3 is not on any of the Circana(NPD)/GFK/GSD trackers because Larian Studios is not a partner.
But that still wouldn't mean that steam revenue would be anywhere near PlayStations.

Of course Steam being private, protects them from such.... Transparency.

• they're_right_you_know

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
But that still wouldn't mean that steam revenue would be anywhere near PlayStations.

Speaking solely on the GSD being tracked countries here. If PC is #1 without counting all the games not part of the panel, many of which are indie/PC only exclusive... It is simply impossible for PlayStation to have generated more revenue.

I'm with you that I would like to see some of the numbers behind the curtain, but it is what it is.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

I have a very hard time trusting Valve or stomaching the cult-like worship of Gabe Newell, given his history as a Microsoft staffer during their worst period of fraudulent, anti-competitive and anti-consumer practices.

• they're_right_you_know

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I have a very hard time trusting Valve or stomaching the cult-like worship of Gabe Newell, given his history as a Microsoft staffer during their worst period of fraudulent, anti-competitive and anti-consumer practices.
Yes and I still think it would be very mathematically possible for PlayStation to have higher revenue.

It all depends on the price of each game sold and the numbers were talking about.

But as I said... We can't get valve numbers.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Although gaming seems to live in a bubble during recessions as per data and we are not quite in a recession, inflation and other factors have ppl holding their money tight. It's amazing how Goid Playstation is doing taking all tht into consideration.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Although gaming seems to live in a bubble during recessions as per data and we are not quite in a recession, inflation and other factors have ppl holding their money tight. It's amazing how Goid Playstation is doing taking all tht into consideration.

We are in a recession on a per capita basis, we have been so for years now.

Recessions are natural parts of the capitalist system. They are needed for markets to correct themselves.