European Monthly Charts November 2023 | PS5 #1 +376% YOY, Switch #2 -35% YOY and Xbox series S/X #3 -26% YOY

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Many thanks to Christopher Dring, GamesIndustry.biz and Install-Base

Data does not include all markets and is missing Germany.

November

Q3pP5GS.jpg

YTD

RPQm3Fb.jpg

LET6QZI.jpg

qtQSrSD.jpg

Christopher Dring

PS5 is almost outselling the competition combined in UK (May 31, 2023)

GamesIndustry.biz: UK Monthly Charts

PS5 has had a 51% market over the last six months

Nintendo Switch has fallen to 25%.

Xbox has seen its market share drop to 23%

There was a slight drop in console hardware sales in the UK, according to GfK figures.

Sales dropped 10% month-on-month to 176,022 devices sold (panel data).

There was a slight dip of 4% in sales of PS5

Xbox Series S and X suffered a sales drop of 33%

Microsoft’s platforms still narrowly manages to stay ahead of Nintendo Switch, which is once again in third spot. However, Nintendo Switch sales did rise 15% over the month before.

Christopher Dring (Speaking to IGN)

"However, even in the UK, which is a market where Xbox is a lot more competitive it's been a tough year, with Xbox Series S and X sales down 23% year-to-date."

Germany: First Half of 2023

nq75M6H.jpg

24 Jun 2022
I'm sure we're more than likely dealing with an agenda driven fanboy and selective hypocrite (just by law of averages alone) but just trying to make the case for healthy skepticism. The whole basis of why he's supposedly wrong rests on the veracity and accuracy of the hard data "leak" from previous years and how much trust is given to that as well as the source doing the leaking. The math is not the problem, it's a basic equation.

I would be more comfortable with MS Gaming financials if they weren't cooked up by MS. Just like I take Sony's financials as the ultimate hard-data source for PlayStation - the numbers are clear and concise. All these outfits more or less can suck my dick - they're glorified intermediary data merchants. Sure they fill a market niche and are useful but still - when you can go directly to the real source, you don't need them as much. Private companies like Valve do present a problem, as well as bsing companies like MS.... hence the market niche.

Well, the NPD leak from last year was from a user who in the past was a very reliable source for hard data before NPD stopped disclosing it (people who subscribe to NPD/Circana still get the hard data IIRC, but prob risk their membership in publicly sharing it, hence why I'm not naming the person the leak last year supposedly came from). Honestly I don't think there was any other reason for the leak besides giving hard proof of how well these systems were actually doing in the US market, after MS were boasting about performance in early 2022 but then went silent.

It's possible that was also put out there to help MS make a case to regulators for buying ABK by showing how bad their market share was, but I don't think that really made much of a difference one way or another, if it was in fact a motivation. I was just happy the data was leaked because myself and a few others at the time were trying to figure things out like actual sales of Xbox Series and Game Pass revenue, so third-party sources/trackers were the only means of doing that alongside leaks from MS's own documents submitted to the courts & regulatory bodies like the CADE. Then doing stuff beyond that like finding sub counts for ESO, F'76 and other games, sub amounts for XBL Gold (all of this would have factored into things like the $2.9 billion revenue for gaming services reported to CADE, when fanboys were just trying to say that was all Game Pass revenue, for example).

The NPD leak also gave validation to theories like why MS didn't report Xbox sales pacing in their Q3 FY ' 22 investor call, as yet another example, or why they weren't giving updates on Game Pass sub counts or revenues. The only reason they're even reported the 41 million Game Pass number now is because they converted some 15 million XBL Gold subs to Game Pass Core, and that was a lot more recent.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Well, the NPD leak from last year was from a user who in the past was a very reliable source for hard data before NPD stopped disclosing it (people who subscribe to NPD/Circana still get the hard data IIRC, but prob risk their membership in publicly sharing it, hence why I'm not naming the person the leak last year supposedly came from). Honestly I don't think there was any other reason for the leak besides giving hard proof of how well these systems were actually doing in the US market, after MS were boasting about performance in early 2022 but then went silent.

It's possible that was also put out there to help MS make a case to regulators for buying ABK by showing how bad their market share was, but I don't think that really made much of a difference one way or another, if it was in fact a motivation. I was just happy the data was leaked because myself and a few others at the time were trying to figure things out like actual sales of Xbox Series and Game Pass revenue, so third-party sources/trackers were the only means of doing that alongside leaks from MS's own documents submitted to the courts & regulatory bodies like the CADE. Then doing stuff beyond that like finding sub counts for ESO, F'76 and other games, sub amounts for XBL Gold (all of this would have factored into things like the $2.9 billion revenue for gaming services reported to CADE, when fanboys were just trying to say that was all Game Pass revenue, for example).

The NPD leak also gave validation to theories like why MS didn't report Xbox sales pacing in their Q3 FY ' 22 investor call, as yet another example, or why they weren't giving updates on Game Pass sub counts or revenues. The only reason they're even reported the 41 million Game Pass number now is because they converted some 15 million XBL Gold subs to Game Pass Core, and that was a lot more recent.

Oh, did they report 41 million Gamepass users? Is that paid or just everyone, including promotions?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They didn't report the GP number, did they? It was an estimate by Omdia, wasn't it?
It was an estimate their gp numbers were like 25 mil whenever they last conveyed them. Hell no they ain't at no 40 plus mil.

"In January 2022 Microsoft said Game Pass had 25 million subscribers. We only got a hint at the 30 million milestone in September of this year when a single LinkedIn profile of an Xbox Marketing Director said it was 30 million for a brief time, before it was changed to 25. Hardly official.Oct 24, 2023"

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It was an estimate their gp numbers were like 25 mil whenever they last conveyed them. Hell no they ain't at no 40 plus mil.

"In January 2022 Microsoft said Game Pass had 25 million subscribers. We only got a hint at the 30 million milestone in September of this year when a single LinkedIn profile of an Xbox Marketing Director said it was 30 million for a brief time, before it was changed to 25. Hardly official.Oct 24, 2023"

People are always trying to inflate the GP numbers.... fact checking is always necessary.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023