Everyone wants Sony to acquire this....

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
All of Konami gaming IP's.

That's right, Sony must look at how Silent Hill and Metal Gear are being handled and realize that they could do a better job.

Especially when they could provide the IPs to Kojima, who would make an instant classic.

Or even remakes and remasters from Bluepoint, of a fitting standard.

You know it's right. Tell me how much you agree below.

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
Sony's already sitting on enough dormant IPs they should be using for AA games.

The racing genre's boring as shit right now with only sim and sim-adjacent games and the occasional Need for Speed. We need MotorStorm and Wipeout for some much needed variety. They want to focus on live service games but they're still ignoring Warhawk and SOCOM. Survival horror's gotten a long-awaited resurgence, but they've forgotten about Siren. They keep depending on Square for JRPGs, but they have Arc the Lad and Legend of Dragoon collecting dust.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

The racing genre's boring as shit right now with only sim and sim-adjacent games and the occasional Need for Speed. We need MotorStorm and Wipeout for some much needed variety. They want to focus on live service games but they're still ignoring Warhawk and SOCOM. Survival horror's gotten a long-awaited resurgence, but they've forgotten about Siren. They keep depending on Square for JRPGs, but they have Arc the Lad and Legend of Dragoon collecting dust.
And hey, what about Folklore?

I'd love a new Socom game with multiplayer.

Reactions: arvfab

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
That window has closed, Physint replaces Metal Gear and the remake by Bloober will detroy the reputation of Silent Hill.

Now that Xbox is dead the focus should be on high quality studios more than anything else

If Sony need a new IP they can acquire Blade Runner gaming rights.

• Surprised
Reactions: Deleted member 1154

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It would be nice, but I think Konami doesn't need or want to sell them and Sony doesn't need to buy them.

Sony will already get their own Kojima action espionage IP, and if Sony would want a horror IP it would make more sense to go for Resident Evil instead because it has way bigger sales, the Silent Hill ones always have been way smaller. But again, I think Capcom doesn't need or want to sell them. They have many ex-Until Dawn/Supermassive devs in Ballistic Moon making the Until Dawn remake and also many ex-Until Dawn/Supermassive devs working at Firesprite. So maybe are working on Until Dawn VR or Until Dawn 2.

And well, I think Sony already has a ton of great IPs, many of them dormant.

I mean, it weird to see they didn't announce Uncharted 5, developed by ND or not. Plus they also have many other successful, classic or iconic IPs sleeping, as could be Killzone or Wipeout just to mention a couple more. And not only big sellers, they could smaller games, maybe for VR, as sequels of Journey, Last Guardian, Loco Roco, Parappa, etc.

They don't need more IPs (even if great ones are always welcomed), if something they'd need more development teams to develop more the IPs they already have. In recent years they have been highly growing all their teams, acquiring support teams and lead development studios, which will help them work in more games/IPs at the same time than they do now. If a few years more we'll see the early results of such growth, that I think they should continue.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I like your attitude.

I do love metal gear though, hard for me to imagine something better in that space. But if anyone can do it...it's Kojima himself.
I think it will be good to wipe away the overly complex backstory of Metal Gear and go tabula rasa for Physint. It lets Kojima do stuff that wouldn't fit in the Metal Gear world, twist or change the plot in a way would go against Metal Gear character histories, etc. AND, speaking as someone who hasn't played those games, it sounds appealing to me to not have to worry about 10+ games of continuity to deal with.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022

I agree and Sony did purchase all the IPs from the Amiga and only released one game from all those IPs. They need a second team for the playstation studios, focusing on AA games and making smaller teams within their own studios like they had back in the PS4 early cycle.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I stopped reading these type of threads an assume its to buy the entire thing. Saw konami and knew what comes with it.
Haha I get you.

Naaa I've gone mostly off the idea of full acquisitions... Especially of publishers.

Studios would be fine if the quality was high though.

But I just thought Kona I were wasting these IPs

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Too expensive when they could just cut a deal with Konami. But anyway I don't trust modern developers would do justice to classic silent hill. I don't care if they are from bobber team or Sony. Which Sony studio specializes on psychological horror these days?

(Please don't tell me ND has credentials because of the last of us, which is a way different take on horror)

Metal gear might be easier.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
No thanks, i doubt current PS would do anything with those IP. Also, it's wild to me that we have people cheering for acquisitions in the direct wake of seeing how it absolutely folded PS's biggest competitor.

Do you actually want PS to go full 3rd party?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Second post nails it. Its a waste of money for a bunch of dead or stagnant boomer IP

I’d rather a new spy/action series and a new horror franchise. Nostalgia can only carry you so far

Reactions: Systemshock2023
24 Jun 2022
Bryank at first I would've agreed but in light of recent events...I don't think Sony actually needs to acquire Konami IP (or Konami for that matter). I mean think of it this way...

>Physint will supplant Metal Gear Solid
>Bloodborne supplants Castlevania (tho Sony's done barely anything with the IP in almost a decade...that could hopefully change soon tho)

...they don't necessarily have anything that supplants Silent Hill but they'll likely have something in the future which does.

Those are Konami's three biggest IP gaming-wise and Sony basically has counterparts for at least two of them. Now true Konami have other IP like Contra, Rocket Knight, and Ganbare Goemon, but those would be closer to small/mid-scale AA titles that Konami can handle internally, and would make multiplat (PlayStation/Nintendo/maybe PC and/or mobile).