Everyone wants Sony to acquire this....

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
IP isn’t as valuable as talent. Sony have a ton of IP and no one to work on them

I dont value either above each other. Talented teams will come and go, leave and split up, but can also comeback. Certain IPs will always have potential to be great again

But outside of what they have been making currently, Sony doesnt have an IP more legendary than MGS. MGS is a big part of Playstation’s history.

IP’s can have a few bad entries and make a great comeback, like RE6.
Why not have these IPs and have a team make use of them when the chance comes. Something like a 2D Castlevania won’t cost too much and would go much more appreciate than Sackboys adventure

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The metal gear story has been told. There is nowhere else to really take that series. Same for Castlevania IMO. It’s better to have the games available to play as classic titles and move on.
Why move on? Thats like saying Capcom should of moved on after RE6. Castlevania can be told again and again, its the whole point of it.

Plus if done right, they can use the IPs well for remakes, prequels or sequels.

Just like Resident Evil had its downs with RE6 and has had its story told, its doing amazing again, probably better than ever

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Horizon is more popular than all those IP put together.

Its far easier for sony to create new stuff, they just need people wiling to work
Its not always easier. I doubt Horizon 2 did the same numbers as Horizon 1. And I dont think sequels will hit the same success the first game did.
It’s not so easy to make new IPs. The order didnt do great and you can’t compare something like Days Gone to MGS just because it sold well.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Its not always easier. I doubt Horizon 2 did the same numbers as Horizon 1. And I dont think sequels will hit the same success the first game did.
It’s not so easy to make new IPs. The order didnt do great and you can’t compare something like Days Gone to MGS just because it sold well.

Horizon FW did 8 million in just over a year. No game from Konami has done that even life time sales wise. Horizon legs are only being cut off due to PS Plus, if not for tht it’d be over 10 million already and counting, it might still be anyway with PC.

Sony have the ability to fund and market any game and turn it into a blockbuster on the level of MGS. I garuntee Kojima’s new spy game outsells all the metal gear solid remakes, for example. Kojima and his team are the most important piece of that puzzle not the IP. Metal Gear is a shell of its former self without the minds behind it. It’s worthless without Kojima and Shinkawa.

Just like Bloodborne is practically worthless as a franchise without Miyazaki and From.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

AfnanAcchan

3 Mar 2023
Im not fan of buying existing IP. It is better for Sony to revive their own franchise (Killzone, Resistance, Twisted Metal, Ape Escape, Soul Sacrifice, Sly Cooper, Gravity Rush, LBP, Dark Cloud, or just create new one. Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon both start as new IP and they sell more than any MGS or Silent Hill.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Why move on? Thats like saying Capcom should of moved on after RE6. Castlevania can be told again and again, its the whole point of it.

Plus if done right, they can use the IPs well for remakes, prequels or sequels.

Just like Resident Evil had its downs with RE6 and has had its story told, its doing amazing again, probably better than ever
Because both series are over thirty years old. If they could reinvent each series and make them awesome then fine. But Konami should be the ones to do it if so. Who is going to make those if Sony buys them? There is a limited talent pool out there for truly world class games …

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Horizon FW did 8 million in just over a year. No game from Konami has done that even life time sales wise. Horizon legs are only being cut off due to PS Plus, if not for tht it’d be over 10 million already and counting, it might still be anyway with PC.

Sony have the ability to fund and market any game and turn it into a blockbuster on the level of MGS. I garuntee Kojima’s new spy game outsells all the metal gear solid remakes, for example. Kojima and his team are the most important piece of that puzzle not the IP. Metal Gear is a shell of its former self without the minds behind it. It’s worthless without Kojima and Shinkawa.

Just like Bloodborne is practically worthless as a franchise without Miyazaki and From.

I believe the Phantom pain did over 9.5 million. And it did alot for PS back in the day, PS1, PS2 and literally kick started the PS3 from a bad start.

Im sure if Sony got a hold of the IP, they could work something out with Kojima. They have a good relationship and giving back his IPs to him would probably mean something to him. That and ZOE

I agree, it is worthless without him, just like Bloodborne is. But I think Sony could work something out with him

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Because both series are over thirty years old. If they could reinvent each series and make them awesome then fine. But Konami should be the ones to do it if so. Who is going to make those if Sony buys them? There is a limited talent pool out there for truly world class games …

Konami cant do it. They’ve lost there minds.

Give it to Kojima, for example. Have Bluepoint work with Kojima to make a remake of MGS1-2. Or MG1-2. Bring in new talent to work with some of the Bluepoint guys to learn how to remake games. Give them those projects.
And if Kojima ever wanted to go back to MGS, he can. Also theres Bend

Hire the same team that made Streets of Rage 4 and making the new Shinobi to make SOTN Remake
Theres always new talent, Sony is normally good at picking them up

Its not Im saying they have to do this. Id just like PS to hold some classic IPs. Esepcially the ones that helped PS become what they are today. Capcom isn’t an option. Games like Yakuza and Persona which were birthed and always been exclusive to PS are no longer exclusive, Tekken, DMC are also multiplatform. MGS’s home is Playstation

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
I just need Sony to acquire Capcom & Square Enix & Kadokawa/Fromsoft after that PS would have a lockdown on genre there currently missing but have a long history like fighting, souls-like & jrpg

Oh & acquire Hoyoverse for mobile

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Ember lab and arrowhead need to be brought into the fold. The fact that the former hasn’t announced a new game yet or ported the last one to other consoles is very interesting
Most studios don’t immediately announce a new game as soon as their old one is finished. Unless they need to draw funding or developers they are fine waiting until they are far along into development. Also the founders of ember labs are brothers and they might see it more as family business than something they want to sell. Ember lab was also founded as an animation studio and they’ve worked for some pretty big clients. They made be working on commercials and digital content and not a game or both 🤷🏽‍♂️

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Some of you are too stuck in the past. Those creators don’t want to go back to or be stuck working on IP from the 80’s. Kojima is free to do whatever he wants now, let him.

Those IP you love are just names tied to old memories, its time for new stories and characters.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What if Sony bought the Meal Gear IP and Physint is the new Metal Gear?

Mind Blown GIF

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Since today is the 20 Year Anniversary of Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes would Sony buying the Metal Gear IP let them rerelease Twin Snakes? Or will it most likely be blocked from Nintendo?

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75