Exclusive Leak: Returnal PC footage - options / customization etc. Video

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I will always believe there is a showcase soon for the sole reason of Helldivers 2 leaking. Sony does not reveal first party titles in blogpost nor do they usually do it in state of plays. Arrowhead has been ramping up marketing for the reveal for two months already, its coming.

At the very least its a very elaborate state of play with PSVR2 and FF16 and some other things.

I think it would be strategically really bad for Sony to put a major hardware launch up for preorder without something really putting it in front of a captive audience one last time. They are putting a lot of money into PSVR2 im sure they will treat the launch as importantly as the PS5 itself, especially asking what they’re gonna be asking for it.

Also, outside out horizon, Firewall, and Resident evil they haven’t shown a lot of killer apps for it. If they actually want to sell it they have to reveal a real line up for it with some other compelling incentives like a PSVR collection.

A blog post works for like PS Plus extra or Playstation Stars, for actually trying to sell expensive hardware? Naw I dont think they will phone it in

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I distinctly remember arguing with a member of this forum that the Steam leak was true. It's an older post. Even posted the methodology the engineer used to pull the data. Let's not take a look at the list.
  • God of War ✅
  • Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Edition ✅
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure ✅
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • HELLDIVERS 2
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Returnal ✅
  • Demon Souls
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Déraciné
That's 4 already confirmed with the only game missing so far being Spiderman.

Reactions: LED

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I like how a year and like 4 months got rounded up to 2 years…

Oh there is no doubt whatsoever that the leak is true.

Leaks are common these days and they are mostly true when you’re looking at the right places for them.

But there will always be a strong fanboy contingent that will look for that one little tiny discrepancy to disregard it all because it crushes their dreams in some form. This is also called “denial.”

D

Deleted member 13

We know TLOU won't be released this FY, but other than that we don't know when it's going to be released. If it gets released the next FY, it will be released around 10 years after its original release.

We know Returnal won't be released this FY. If it ends released on PC and if it gets released early next FY, it would be around 2 years after its original release. This wouldn't mean shortening release window, Days Gone was released around 2 years after its original release. In any case having a Returnal PC port in development, or ready to be released doesn't mean they'll release it soon. They may keep it in the fridge until they consider it's the time to release it according to their strategy.
I don't believe Sony is this goofy. If you can name a game that was going to release on the PC and was put on the shelf in finished form, please name the game.

My original argument was with @ethomaz that believed that we should mark the time a game was initially released for the platform until the time it was released in PC form - completely ignoring the fact that the game was never intended to be released on the PC when it initially released. I know that shouldn't be the basis for timing a port but I went with @ethomaz crazy idea to prove a point that we went from 8yrs to 2yrs.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 51

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't believe Sony is this goofy. If you can name a game that was going to release on the PC and was put on the shelf in finished form, please name the game.

My original argument was with @ethomaz that believed that we should mark the time a game was initially released for the platform until the time it was released in PC form - completely ignoring the fact that the game was never intended to be released on the PC when it initially released. I know that shouldn't be the basis for timing a port but I went with @ethomaz crazy idea to prove a point that we went from 8yrs to 2yrs.
Most of the money that Sony makes is from selling games for their console, to they may want to keep there some games exclusive as unique selling point. They also have a very profitable game sub, which also welcomes exclusive games.

They plan to release some of their exclusives on PC some time later to get extra revenue and reach new fans because to make AAA games is very expensive, but once they milked these games as much as they can by selling them on console or offering them on their game sub. By waiting some years before releasing on PC some of these exclusives, they use them to give player reasons to buy their consoles and buy their games there.

It would be stupid to put all their games on PC (where Valve and Epic get their cut, unlike when selling them on console) or to release the few ones they port on day one because it would give people less reasons to buy their console, which would damage Sony's main gaming business: to sell 1st and 3rd party games for their PSN store.

Returnal and Sackboy use Unreal Engine, which means that unlike the games that use Sony internal game engines they only would need a few weeks or a handful months of work to have a PC build ready. In fact, for development and testing internal builds they may have been using a pc build. So it would be very likely that they could have the port pretty much done, ready in case Sony decides to release them on PC or whenever decide to release them.

Regarding timing, Sony/Hermen said multiple times that PS Studios was going to experiment with different timeframes between their original PS release and the PC port release, but that they weren't considering day one PC releases (something we also saw in their graphs) or too close releases. He said their priority will continue to be their console, releasing PS only games, and some time later to port some of them (not all) to PC. He recently said that this around 2+ years distance (the one we saw in Days Gone) seems fine for them.

If you want examples of ports put in the fridge, you can look at basically any big timed exclusive for any console using multiplatform engines like Unreal Engine or Unity, where they run on PC since day one (obviously little PC specific things like keyboard require separated work).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75
D

Deleted member 13

Most of the money that Sony makes is from selling games for their console, to they may want to keep there some games exclusive as unique selling point. They also have a very profitable game sub, which also welcomes exclusive games.

They plan to release some of their exclusives on PC some time later to get extra revenue and reach new fans because to make AAA games is very expensive, but once they milked these games as much as they can by selling them on console or offering them on their game sub. By waiting some years before releasing on PC some of these exclusives, they use them to give player reasons to buy their consoles and buy their games there.

It would be stupid to put all their games on PC (where Valve and Epic get their cut, unlike when selling them on console) or to release the few ones they port on day one because it would give people less reasons to buy their console, which would damage Sony's main gaming business: to sell 1st and 3rd party games for their PSN store.
I get what you are saying but that doesn't mean Sony is putting games on the shelf and intentionally delaying pushing the game out to retailers.

You are an insider, so is there a particular game in mind that has come out already on the PC that was 100% done and pushed to gold status and put on the shelf?

Spiderman
Death Stranding
HZD
God of War (2018)
Uncharted Lost Legacy
TLOU Remake 1
Returnal

Any of those games you are claiming were or now on the shelf in gold status?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I get what you are saying but that doesn't mean Sony is putting games on the shelf and intentionally delaying pushing the game out to retailers.

You are an insider, so is there a particular game in mind that has come out already on the PC that was 100% done and pushed to gold status and put on the shelf?

Spiderman
Death Stranding
HZD
God of War (2018)
Uncharted Lost Legacy
TLOU Remake 1
Returnal

Any of those games you are claiming were or now on the shelf in gold status?
I didn't say Gold status, I say having the PC version basically ready. Basically the case of any multiplatform engine with no PC version at launch: their only reason to don't release a PC port basically is that they signed an exclusivity deal.

In the case of Death Stranding, we know Kojima and Sony agreed to have a PC version when they signed the deal for the game. It uses Decima, multiplatform engine that allowed the PC version of Horizon. Which means these two games pretty much already had a PC version almost ready but due to their strategy decided to released later, and same goes with the Horizon sequel.

Same goes with Days Gone, Returnal, Sackboy or any UE or Unity game. To release a PC version requires very little work, isn't like 1st party games made with 1st party engines that write to the metal taking advantage of very console specific tricks and weren't considering versions for other devices when developed.

The porting of games like the ND, SSM or Insomniac ones very likely required a ton of difficult work, part made by the porters and part made by the engine programmers of the original versions to help them adapt their engine to PC if weren't already ready for internal usage and testing in PC (something super common) of their console only games.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Returnal and Sackboy use Unreal Engine, which means that unlike the games that use Sony internal game engines they only would need a few weeks or a handful months of work to have a PC build ready. In fact, for development and testing internal builds they may have been using a pc build. So it would be very likely that they could have the port pretty much done, ready in case Sony decides to release them on PC or whenever decide to release them.

Regarding timing, Sony/Hermen said multiple times that PS Studios was going to experiment with different timeframes between their original PS release and the PC port release, but that they weren't considering day one PC releases (something we also saw in their graphs) or too close releases. He said their priority will continue to be their console, releasing PS only games, and some time later to port some of them (not all) to PC. He recently said that this around 2+ years distance (the one we saw in Days Gone) seems fine for them.

If you want examples of ports put in the fridge, you can look at basically any big timed exclusive for any console using multiplatform engines like Unreal Engine or Unity, where they run on PC since day one (obviously little PC specific things like keyboard require separated work).
I wonder if Sackboy release will push Miles Morales outside the fall windows? :unsure:
Or if Miles Morales launch date will be set a month before release like Sackboy... I can see two PC releases this quarter that start in October 1.

I hope Sony can find its way with a PS Store launcher on PC to avoid Steam and Epic.
Weird enough Sony is not being solid with where they release the games... some games were launched on Steam only and others on Steam and Epic... I wonder why? It is due Unreal Engine?

Anyway I think Sackboy won't be a game to move too many units on PC like Spider-man did... I'm really curious to see if Sony will reach the forecast with what they released or plan to release in this FY.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I didn't say Gold status, I say having the PC version basically ready. Basically the case of any multiplatform engine with no PC version at launch: their only reason to don't release a PC port basically is that they signed an exclusivity deal.

In the case of Death Stranding, we know Kojima and Sony agreed to have a PC version when they signed the deal for the game. It uses Decima, multiplatform engine that allowed the PC version of Horizon. Which means these two games pretty much already had a PC version almost ready but due to their strategy decided to released later, and same goes with the Horizon sequel.

Same goes with Days Gone, Returnal, Sackboy or any UE or Unity game. To release a PC version requires very little work, isn't like 1st party games made with 1st party engines that write to the metal taking advantage of very console specific tricks and weren't considering versions for other devices when developed.

The porting of games like the ND, SSM or Insomniac ones very likely required a ton of difficult work, part made by the porters and part made by the engine programmers of the original versions to help them adapt their engine to PC if weren't already ready for internal usage and testing in PC (something super common) of their console only games.
You can see that in the Nixeex interview... Spider-man took them months to just get out of the black screen and around 1 year to finish the port.
They had to code/translate all the graphic API calls to DX12.
And the RT they even had to ask Insomniac for help because it was solution too specific for PS5.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You can see that in the Nixeex interview... Spider-man took them month to just get out of the black screen and around 1 year to finish the port.
They had to code/translate all the graphic API calls to DX12.
And the RT they even had to ask Insomniac for help because it was solution too specific for PS5.
Yep. In multiplatform engines none of this work is needed: they already have it done before starting to develop the game (or the port).

The PC port in multiplatform engines basically is to add extra stuff like keyboard & mouse controls, wide screen, maybe adding options to enable or disable some stuff that already is implemented by the engine, extra options for things like resolution etc. A work that is a very little thing in terms of amount of work and complexity of work compared to the stuff that people who ported Spider-Man or Uncharted 4 has to handle.

D

Deleted member 13

Let's be more clear.

My claim : Sony decided about 2-3yrs ago to port their games to PC. A meeting was called and all the Sony developers were asked to start porting their engines over to make development for both PS and PC. These companies picked the PS4 classics and began the porting process. Once the games were finished, they picked an appropriate timeline to release these ports to the PC. So far, we've seen all the custom graphics engines take time to port (i.e. engines outside of UE, etc..). I claim that even the games with UE support still had to incorporate their tools to use the PC. I agree with you that those particular games were much easier to port. In conclusion, I do not believe for a second that Sony companies that finished their porting process is putting the game on the shelf to wait for 2yrs or more (which most of the hardcore Sony fans believe).

Your claim : You believe Sony is taking these games, porting them, and then putting them on the shelf to wait for sales to drop on the game for demand and then when a release date has been established will then release those ports on the PC. In other words, if they had Returnal already finished last year, they are waiting on Sony to announce a release date by which they can push the game out being selective to make sure that the release date is well over a year or more.

If a game is put on the shelf until that magical 2yr gap is over, why are the games still needed bug fixes and optimization? I would imagine that if the game was shelved that once released, it would be essentially bug-free and not need any patches - especially day 1 patches.

Lastly, I'm asking for receipts for your claim - not intuition. Since you are in the industry, I'm sure you can state "well company x is doing this from my contacts.."

D

Deleted member 13

I wonder if Sackboy release will push Miles Morales outside the fall windows? :unsure:
Or if Miles Morales launch date will be set a month before release like Sackboy... I can see two PC releases this quarter that start in October 1.

I hope Sony can find its way with a PS Store launcher on PC to avoid Steam and Epic.
Weird enough Sony is not being solid with where they release the games... some games were launched on Steam only and others on Steam and Epic... I wonder why? It is due Unreal Engine?

Anyway I think Sackboy won't be a game to move too many units on PC like Spider-man did... I'm really curious to see if Sony will reach the forecast with what they released or plan to release in this FY.
This is due to Epic wanting to pay for exclusivity from their website. Remember the lawsuit of Valve over Epic?

D

Deleted member 13

The PC port in multiplatform engines basically is to add extra stuff like keyboard & mouse controls, wide screen, maybe adding options to enable or disable some stuff that already is implemented by the engine, extra options for things like resolution etc. A work that is a very little thing in terms of amount of work and complexity of work compared to the stuff that people who ported Spider-Man or Uncharted 4 has to handle.
Returnal's graphics features has shown that it's more than just resolution (which is actually a big thing), higher performance, and better texture filtering or LOD.

Returnal is using RT reflections, lighting and shadows. Features that are not present on the PS5. Why would Sony's goal be to entice PC players to buy a PS5 when the ported versions for the PC have much better features than the PS5?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 51