False information, Clickbait Journalism & Popular Misconceptions

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I forgot about this section of the board 🤦‍♂️too much catch up to do 🤦

I'm not sure if it was known but most of the lies and FUD about the PS5 were organized in an Xbox discord and then they would spread these lies everywhere online. Today I learned that Phil Spencer was also in that Discord.

Isn't that disgusting? He was aware of all the propaganda they were doing.

At 45:10

A member from GAF infiltrated that Discord and it was not pretty.

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
I meant to post this the other day when that new bullshit Takashi article came out about Playstation underperforming despite record sales.

Just to document his lies and the three times Sony has called him out for lying that I am aware of. It's clear he has an objective to attack Sony's stock price

1) First he claimed PS5 shipments were being cut and this was denied by Sony

Takashi: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...4-million-due-to-chip-woes?srnd=technology-vp

Sony's denial: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/sony-reportedly-cuts-ps5-production-by-4m-units

2) He also claimed Sony was going to end production of the PS4 but changed their minds because of PS5 production issues. This never happened as Sony never planned to end PS4 production

Takashi: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-12/sony-tackles-playstation-5-shortage-by-making-more-ps4-consoles?leadSource=uverify wall

Sony's denial: https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2022/01/21/sony-never-planning-stop-ps4-production/

3) And most recently he went after PSVR2 claiming they cut production which was also a lie he fabricated by first claiming they were planning 2 million PSVR2 for the "launch window" and then later claiming they cut production

Takashi: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-order-disappointment-leads-to-production-cut

Sony's denial: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/sony-we-have-not-cut-ps-vr-2-production-numbers

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I forgot about this section of the board 🤦‍♂️too much catch up to do 🤦

I'm not sure if it was known but most of the lies and FUD about the PS5 were organized in an Xbox discord and then they would spread these lies everywhere online. Today I learned that Phil Spencer was also in that Discord.

Isn't that disgusting? He was aware of all the propaganda they were doing.

At 45:10

A member from GAF infiltrated that Discord and it was not pretty.

Spencer was in the Discord? Just WTF? So MS... In addition to having games media other back pocket, tried to corner/take control of online discussion board narratives too.

Ree's exodus and media/devs running to post at their safe space now seems even more fucked up than it already was.

• angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Spencer was in the Discord? Just WTF? So MS... In addition to having games media other back pocket, tried to corner/take control of online discussion board narratives too.

Ree's exodus and media/devs running to post at their safe space now seems even more fucked up than it already was.

Don't worry as we continue on our path, and are open as we can be that this place is a haven for game discussion, critique and just fun the more I believe we will get people from the industry at some point.

Even if they are just lurkers we welcome everyone here no strings, no ideologies, no BS.

If there's dumb fanboy BS happening the extreme it will be dealt with.

Yea that shit with Spencer is surprising because his words on socials say the opposite.

Reactions: Sircaw

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Don't worry as we continue on our path, and are open as we can be that this place is a haven for game discussion, critique and just fun the more I believe we will get people from the industry at some point.

Even if they are just lurkers we welcome everyone here no strings, no ideologies, no BS.

If there's dumb fanboy BS happening the extreme it will be dealt with.

Yea that shit with Spencer is surprising because his words on socials say the opposite.
His words in media was always toxic too.

OP
OP
Nitro

Nitro

Icon Extra
10 Apr 2023
North Pole
On top of other things, the ResetEra/XboxEra crew were observed clickbait or link farming. Members would monitor news aggregators looking for negative Sony/PlayStation opinion or press. A link to said story would be shared on Discord. Within a short period, a thread would be created on ResetEra by a random member discussing the topic, drawing wider attention, gaining further media interest.

They believe strongly Xbox is the better console and that PlayStation's reputation is undeserved. As though they had taken it upon themselves to alter how Sony are perceived by the public. The group is obsessed with diminishing PlayStation's brand "aura" or "halo".

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
On top of other things, the ResetEra/XboxEra crew were observed clickbait or link farming. Members would monitor news aggregators looking for negative Sony/PlayStation opinion or press. A link to said story would be shared on Discord. Within a short period, a thread would be created on ResetEra by a random member discussing the topic, drawing wider attention, gaining further media interest.

They believe strongly Xbox is the better console and that PlayStation's reputation is undeserved. As though they had taken it upon themselves to alter how Sony are perceived by the public. The group is obsessed with diminishing PlayStation's brand "aura" or "halo".
Those sad tactics kind of worked because for awhile I was worried about Playstation. The negativity was everywhere. Everyday there were new articles from reputable places shitting on PS5 and celebrating Phil.

I really thought Sony was done but then the numbers started coming out and there was zero impact. The fud didn't work at all.

Reactions: Edmund and Nitro

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
What was the pre-PS5 release rumor? A familliar face vs a bug alien in a dark room? I think people theorized Resistance or RE at the time? Did that turn out to be anything?

OP
OP
Nitro

Nitro

Icon Extra
10 Apr 2023
North Pole
Those sad tactics kind of worked because for awhile I was worried about Playstation. The negativity was everywhere.

It's self reinforcing because the authors who pushed the FUD saw a notable drive in traffic to their webpages, encouraging them to cover other dubious rumors and reports. The quality of the source matters not. These stories are posted to dedicated gaming forums, social media, everywhere. There's a bunch of accounts on Reddit that still do this. There is so much low quality PlayStation reporting I think older gamers become desensitized to it, but younger audiences fall for this stuff without question.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

btw looking at your avatar u had any relationship with james woodhouse or neil thompson?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Didn't want to start a new thread for these fools... but this video highlights the IronLords Podcast and the absolute bell-ends that run that show.

Nothing but damage control, Phil Spencer worship at its worst, PlayStation hate and the guest is Ben Smith from Sacred Symbols who can be seen laughing at all this stuff...

It's an absolutely pathetic spectacle....

Lord Cognito hosts Defining Duke each week with Matty Plays and has been salivating over Microsoft going after several more publishers after they got ABK (which was a done deal in his mind)....

EDIT: 'Hold the line!' .... FFS, there is no line left. You got wiped the fuck out.

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Didn't want to start a new thread for these fools... but this video highlights the IronLords Podcast and the absolute bell-ends that run that show.

Nothing but damage control, Phil Spencer worship at its worst, PlayStation hate and the guest is Ben Smith from Sacred Symbols who can be seen laughing at all this stuff...

It's an absolutely pathetic spectacle....

Lord Cognito hosts Defining Duke each week with Matty Plays and has been salivating over Microsoft going after several more publishers after they got ABK (which was a done deal in his mind)....
I remember when they wrote a letter to the cma begging them to let MSFT buy ABK. I also love the narrative that Sony making deals means MS should be allowed to buy up everything.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Sony can't leverage their market share if they don't have market share to leverage, so we can safely conclude that whatever deals were made by Sony that predate their dominance each generation were done on equal footing with the competition.

Sony earned their high market share due to customers choosing them over the competition. They then leveraged that share fairly to create, invest in, and secure exclusives, timed or otherwise. Every generation, including this one, was a reset and every generation Sony earned their market share.

If that reduces customer choice, it reduces it for far fewer customers than the wholesale purchase of a publisher and the removal of that publisher's future titles from the largest gaming userbase in consoles would.

In short: cry more, Cuckleberry Mueller.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sony can't leverage their market share if they don't have market share to leverage, so we can safely conclude that whatever deals were made by Sony that predate their dominance each generation were done on equal footing with the competition.

Sony earned their high market share due to customers choosing them over the competition. They then leveraged that share fairly to create, invest in, and secure exclusives, timed or otherwise. Every generation, including this one, was a reset and every generation Sony earned their market share.

If that reduces customer choice, it reduces it for far fewer customers than the wholesale purchase of a publisher and the removal of that publisher's future titles from the largest gaming userbase in consoles would.

In short: cry more, Cuckleberry Mueller.

Don't streaming services pay movie studios to get first exclusive streaming rights to content all the time?

Isn't that exactly the same thing as 3rd party exclusives in gaming? Someone needs to tell him this and ask him if he is familiar with the entertainment industry at all... and inform him that this isn't tech, it's entertainment. So he should get educated. LOL

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
The Silent Hill games are not based on Centralia, despite what's often claimed. That was an invention of the film.