FF7 Rebirth was Japan's no.1 selling game for March. Ampere data suggests it has sold around 2 Million copies. |UP| Analysts says it's underperforming

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
True

I mean look at quantic dream latest game star wars eclipse

Ever since quantic dream part ways with sony

Progress seems to stutter

Never heard any news for years now

Either lack of financial backing from sony or some sort of internal problem

It was reported that Sony didn't want anyth ing to with with QD following the ongoing harassment allegations from employees in the studio. The Eclipse trailer was super early into the development and they used the trailer to try to recuit more people to work on the game.

enpleinjour

Icon Extra
24 Mar 2023
People should really be supporting great games like Rebirth and FFXVI....

If they don't, we will get far less variety and quality in future.

But they keep buying madden and FC 24... :rolleyes:

No need to worry. FF is very profitable due to how much it sells at full price. 3-5M = $200-350M in revenue.
Dev cost is likely <$100M due to lower JP wages, so its very profitable for SE.

Even more so when Sony pays up and does marketing.

Nope. You have nothing to go on other than the numbers from Japan. You are too deep into Playstation too see anything else.

CCU are not sales. Try again.

Playstation Y8 JP sales shipment alone should be near 300K.
Steam sales trackers, estimates had global Steam sales at 200K when Y8 shipped/sold 1M.

Playstation is likely 70% of all Y8 sales, and PC around only 20%.

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
Playstation is likely 70% of all Y8 sales, and PC around only 20%.

And where is your source for this? All I see is Playstation players making up numbers in favor for Playstation.

Im not saying PC is the best selling platform, but what I need is that and all I read in these threads are what people think the numbers are.

24 Jun 2022
And where is your source for this? All I see is Playstation players making up numbers in favor for Playstation.

Im not saying PC is the best selling platform, but what I need is that and all I read in these threads are what people think the numbers are.

At the time SEGA reported 1 million for Yakuza 8, Japanese PS sales for it were ~ 180K total at debut (the figure present before SEGA gave their update). Digital attach ratio in Japan is smaller than most other territories; Sony's figures placed it either around 20% or 30% for 1P titles. That percentage is probably similar for 3P titles on their platforms in Japan.

So 180K * 1.2 = 216K. 180K * 1.3 = 234K. It's very likely that region-wise Japan was the single largest market for Yakuza 8 sales at the time SEGA gave their 1 million figure. Even assuming EVERY other global market combined only equaled Japan's figures (for some reason) for PlayStation, PlayStation alone would have accounted for upwards ~ 470,000 of the 1 million figure, leaving the remaining 530,000 split between PC and Xbox.

However in reality, PlayStation's share in non-Japanese markets collectively would be higher than the Japanese figure, so at least over 500K (or over 50%) for all global markets for Yakuza 8's sales. Realistically, the amount is probably higher than that; I think an estimate of 600K PS4/PS5 for Yakuza 8's sales figures is very fair and likely on the conservative end given the IP's legacy with the brand (dates all the way back to PS2), Xbox B2P software steep declines globally, and the tendency for certain Steam users in select markets to overestimate the platform's popularity and brand size in many other global markets.

So that user might be wrong in stating PS4/PS5 accounted for 70% of Yakuza's sales (and I'm speaking sales at the time SEGA made their announcement, specifically)...but they may not be that far off. IMO I'd say PS4/PS5 were at least 60% of those sales, leaving PC & Xbox with the remaining 40%. And considering dynamics with those platforms, I'd give PC (Steam) at least 25% of the total sales and Xbox at most....15%

enpleinjour

Icon Extra
24 Mar 2023

If PC is 200K leaves 800K for PS and XB.
PS is 300K in JP, leaving 500K PS/XB rotw.

We already know the general splits for game sales between PS and XB. 76% was in 2020, the installbase difference between PS and XB has only grown since then, so lets say 80%.

That gives 700K PS, 200K PC, 100K XB.

These are general estimates, its the best we have publicly.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

We already know the general splits for game sales between PS and XB. 76% was in 2020, the installbase difference between PS and XB has only grown since then, so lets say 80%.

That user is a lost cause. He said Yakuza, Street Fighter and Monster Hunter are bigger on PC than Playstation based on absolutely no data at all 🤭

He disregards all the receipts we post.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

I would bet my account that xbox sales accounted for <10% of the launch sales. Why would xbox players buy the game when it was a big gamepass title and they generally dgaf about japanese games especially jrpgs?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

Don't bother. It's an astroturfer that's poor at his job. MS should get a refund.

• they're_right_you_know

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

@Bodycount611 is doing the lord's work exposing these bdsm naked frauds who were fine with ALL the franchises from Bethesda and Activision-Blizzard-King + Stalker + Ark being exclusive to Xbox. The whole industry was rooting for this, it was good for competition they said. Jim Ryan was dragged by the hair for standing against it.

Now we have the biggest and most organized anti-exclusivity campaign the world have ever seen because of ONE game being exclusive to PS5.

Not even GTA6 is getting that much pushback. Guess why? It's on Xbox so they don't have to deal with the deranged green mafia and the "journalists".

24 Jun 2022
@Bodycount611 is doing the lord's work exposing these bdsm naked frauds who were fine with ALL the franchises from Bethesda and Activision-Blizzard-King + Stalker + Ark being exclusive to Xbox. The whole industry was rooting for this, it was good for competition they said. Jim Ryan was dragged by the hair for standing against it.

Now we have the biggest and most organized anti-exclusivity campaign the world have ever seen because of ONE game being exclusive to PS5.

Not even GTA6 is getting that much pushback. Guess why? It's on Xbox so they don't have to deal with the deranged green mafia and the "journalists".

Yep, and frankly I'm tired of it. There are so many hypocrites in the hobby and industry who try hiding behind nice-sounding words and soundbites, talking points etc. but only when it's convenient for them to do so. They act like a single platform holder having a single big 3P exclusive is the most anti-consumer thing in the world...gee I wonder what gaming CEO started talking about exclusives being "a thing of the past" and "not beneficial to their system" after a certain Business Update?

Suddenly all of these hanger-ons and nobodies start parroting similar talk; it's no coincidence. If they had this same energy for M&As the past two years I'd respect their difference in opinion regarding exclusives. But they didn't, so I don't.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I would bet my account that xbox sales accounted for <10% of the launch sales. Why would xbox players buy the game when it was a big gamepass title and they generally dgaf about japanese games especially jrpgs?

Even before Gamepass Xbox always had the smallest share of 3rd party sales they have never really been worth the effort of porting over a game.

Didn’t FFXV sell 600% more on playststion than on Xbox?

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
He's the same retard pushing those narratives tho 🤡 And only does it in a manner with no actual info that leaves a lot to interpret. He knows he's a scummy liar so he covers for himself by blaming others for having "really bad reading comprehension"

Exactly. He's basically gaslighting people for reading a "gloom & doom" narrative to the post HE made that practically implied doom & gloom in the first place!

Just complete irresponsibility of their position and their platform. He should get a Community Note on that Rebirth tweet he made, given he provides no evidence for the assertion and has no corroborators to co-sign the claim.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Exactly. He's basically gaslighting people for reading a "gloom & doom" narrative to the post HE made that practically implied doom & gloom in the first place!

Just complete irresponsibility of their position and their platform. He should get a Community Note on that Rebirth tweet he made, given he provides no evidence for the assertion and has no corroborators to co-sign the claim.
It's not irresponsible, it's part of their strategy, every step is choreographed. We see this happen so often. It's why I don't feel bad about calling these losers trash. They've used this exact playbook several times to bash PS and prop up Xbox.

1. Heavily implies the game is a flop and doesn't provide any actual evidence (on a post that had absolutely nothing to do with sales)

image.png

2. Plays victim and tries to gaslight people when called out for making bold claims with zero evidence (and turns off replies)

image.png

3. Walks back on the narrative that HE tried to push and then blames people for having "really bad reading comprehension". Even more gaslighting

image.png

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It's not irresponsible, it's part of their strategy, every step is choreographed. We see this happen so often. It's why I don't feel bad about calling these losers trash. They've used this exact playbook several times to bash PS and prop up Xbox.

1. Heavily implies the game is a flop and doesn't provide any actual evidence (on a post that had absolutely nothing to do with sales)

image.png

2. Plays victim and tries to gaslight people when called out for making bold claims with zero evidence (and turns off replies)

image.png

3. Walks back on the narrative that HE tried to push and then blames people for having "really bad reading comprehension". Even more gaslighting

image.png
Angry The Rookie GIF by ABC Network

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
He's the same retard pushing those narratives tho 🤡 And only does it in a manner with no actual info that leaves a lot to interpret. He knows he's a scummy liar so he covers for himself by blaming others for having "really bad reading comprehension"

Personally, I don’t really care that much for what Zhuge says, mostly because I’m tired of everyone on Twitter in general. Thing is, the narrative would exist regardless of him and what he says is true in that people are bloodthirsty for FF to fail and whatever whiff they can get they twist it into something to suit their agenda.

Sales discussions in general is weaponized more often than not regardless of context or who is saying it. Case in point was SE saying FFXVI was a success but people argued that it wasn’t

• sad