FF7 Rebirth was Japan's no.1 selling game for March. Ampere data suggests it has sold around 2 Million copies. |UP| Analysts says it's underperforming

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I do think that the doom and glooming about FF is a bit overblown at times but the the tweet is comparing FW sales of FFXVI versus 5 tracking weeks of FF7R Part 2, it's not an apple to apple comparison.

FW FXVI:
[PS5] Final Fantasy XVI # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2023.06.22} (¥9.000) - 336.027 / NEW <80-100%>
FW FF7R2:
01./00. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth <RPG> (Square Enix) {2024.02.29} (¥8.980) - 262.656 / NEW <60-80%>

FW difference: 73.371

5 weeks FFXVI(June 19-Jul 23):
Week 26 (Jun 19 - Jun 25)
Week 27 (Jun 26 - Jul 02)
Week 28 (Jul 03 - Jul 09)
Week 29 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

Week 30 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)
09./04. [PS5] Final Fantasy XVI # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2023.06.22} (¥9.000) - 4.904 / 401.376 <80-100%> (-43%)

5 weeks FF7R2(Feb 26-Mar 31):

Week 9(Feb 26 - Mar 3)
Week 10(Mar 4 - Mar 10)
Week 11(Mar 11 to Mar 17)
Week 12(Mar18 to Mar 24)

Week 13(March 25 to March 31st)
13./08. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth <RPG> (Square Enix) {2024.02.29} (¥8.980) - 4.840 / 310.596 <80-100%> (-32%)

5 week diff: 90,780
Thanks.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
What do they have to do with Japan? Japan's console market used to compare to NA and entire Euro. Japanese developers used to make console games for Japan only because they used to sell millions upon millions. Not anymore. Capcom, From and SE all dependent on western markets to sell their games.

You're talking about something from 3 decades ago, Japan hasn't been relevant in a very long time.

Even during the SNES days most sales came from America

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
You're talking about something from 3 decades ago, Japan hasn't been relevant in a very long time.

It was huge and comparable sales to NA at time. This ended early PS2 generation.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023

Japan is very relevant it is the PlayStation that is not relevant there don't get it twisted lol. There's still a 20+ million dedicated gaming audience there. Sony has just failed to tap into it post PSP.

• haha
Reactions: Ezekiel

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's wild that people pretend japan is not a relevant market just because the switch and mobile dominate there now. It's still a top 3 video game market worldwide.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Japan is very relevant it is the PlayStation that is not relevant there don't get it twisted lol. There's still a 20+ million dedicated gaming audience there. Sony has just failed to tap into it post PSP.

For context the Ps2 sold 160 million worldwide. Even if 25 million were in Japan that's still a very small fraction.

Countries like China have way more potential for the brand.

It was huge and comparable sales to NA at time. This ended early PS2 generation.

My brother in Christ, the ps2 is like 24 years old now, almost 30 years!

• brain

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
For context the Ps2 sold 160 million worldwide. Even if 25 million were in Japan that's still a very small fraction.

Countries like China have way more potential for the brand.
There's no context to be made here, your outlook is simply wrong lol.

Japan is still the 2nd or 3rd biggest console market sales wise. PlayStation brand declining there does not equates to the market being irrelevant. That's a failure on Sony's end for not adapting to a changing landscape they once tapped into and sold almost 20 million portables.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
There's no context to be made here, your outlook is simply wrong lol.

Japan is still the 2nd or 3rd biggest console market sales wise. PlayStation brand declining there does not equates to the market being irrelevant. That's a failure on Sony's end for not adapting to a changing landscape they once tapped into and sold almost 20 million portables.

In Terms of mobile revenue alone China dwarfs Japan by a very large margin, if we include consoles which are fast growing in China and PC then it's not even a competition anymore.

Europe while it's an entire continent is already ahead of Japan.

South America,rhe Middle east and the rest of Asia are fast growing markets as well.

Japan might have been relevant 30 years ago but it won't be the case for much longer.

There's a reason Sony is investing heavily into China,India and Korea and hopefully into south America in the future.

• brain

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
In Terms of mobile revenue alone China dwarfs Japan by a very large margin, if we include consoles which are fast growing in China and PC then it's not even a competition anymore.

Europe while it's an entire continent is already ahead of Japan.

South America,rhe Middle east and the rest of Asia are fast growing markets as well.

Japan might have been relevant 30 years ago but it won't be the case for much longer.

There's a reason Sony is investing heavily into China,India and Korea and hopefully into south America in the future.
They are investing heavily into those markets because they are emerging console markets and they want to establish dominance there and secure local talent.

Japan is still not irrelevant. And I dunno how you can compare Europe to Japan. There's still not a single market in Europe that sells as many PlayStation consoles as Japan lol.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
They are investing heavily into those markets because they are emerging console markets and they want to establish dominance there and secure local talent.

Japan is still not irrelevant. And I dunno how you can compare Europe to Japan. There's still not a single market in Europe that sells as many PlayStation consoles as Japan lol.

Europe has different tastes, Gran Turismo still gets most of its sales from Europe and Fifa is very dominant as well.

Europe also loves Paradox RTS games, Sony should definitely invest in studios like that.

For the longest time Sony neglected Europe with really late ports sometimes not even releasing certain Games in Europe (us Aussies have it even worse though we still don't even have PS Plus Premium)

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
100%.

Just platinumed it after 175h. Fantastic game.

I finished the game at the 128th hour. I
I would love to go for the platinum, but sadly, I struggle so much with the combat system, which frustrates me a lot. It’s not the game’s fault, I believe.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Europe has different tastes, Gran Turismo still gets most of its sales from Europe and Fifa is very dominant as well.

Europe also loves Paradox RTS games, Sony should definitely invest in studios like that.

For the longest time Sony neglected Europe with really late ports sometimes not even releasing certain Games in Europe (us Aussies have it even worse though we still don't even have PS Plus Premium)
Norway still doesn't have Playstation Stars.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I finished the game at the 128th hour. I
I would love to go for the platinum, but sadly, I struggle so much with the combat system, which frustrates me a lot. It’s not the game’s fault, I believe.

Don't give up! There are some pretty good YouTube videos on how to beat the VR challenges or the bosses on Hard "easily".

You can also re-play one particular side-mission to quickly grind to max character level in seconds and the most tedious materia with a few replays of the same mission.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
This game deserves better.

I've realised over time that japanese people just have horrible taste, look at the most popular anime there and it's all rubbish tier isekai.

Souls games don't sell well in Japan, Japanese would rather buy generic otaku slop instead.

Norway still doesn't have Playstation Stars.

There's surprisingly a lot of countries that still don't have it. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I've realised over time that japanese people just have horrible taste, look at the most popular anime there and it's all rubbish tier isekai.

Souls games don't sell well in Japan, Japanese would rather buy generic otaku slop instead.

There's surprisingly a lot of countries that still don't have it. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.
You have to realize that otaku in japan are real social outcasts lol. Normal people are basically slaving away to death at their jobs+drinking away their depression