FF7 Rebirth was Japan's no.1 selling game for March. Ampere data suggests it has sold around 2 Million copies. |UP| Analysts says it's underperforming

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It's a 37 years old series but as of October, in less than 10 years FF went from slightly above 100M to almost 200M:

image.png

Adding there sales until March 2024, in the last 10 years they sold almost the same than in the previous 27 years.

Some game will sell a bit more, other may sell a bit less, but I wouldn't call this a declining franchise. They're in a great shape and itt continues being a super strong IP (even if maybe not as strong as Gamernyc78's arms xD).

Only a few IPs sold that much in the last decade (I'd say maybe only Mario, FIFA, GTA, AC, CoD, Minecraft and maybe a handful I may forget).
The are official data... the others in your graph are just estimates.

YearMonthCumulative sales
1994September11,500,000
1996December18,500,000
1999December25,000,000
2001March33,000,000
2003June45,000,000
2003September47,000,000
2005September63,000,000
2007March75,000,000
2008June85,000,000
2011March100,000,000
2014March110,000,000
2015December115,000,000
2016December130,000,000
2017March135,000,000
2019September149,000,000
2020April156,000,000
2022March173,000,000
2023June180,000,000
2023September185,000,000

Plus there are way more spin-offs after FFXIII than it have in the past.
That is why you have the sensation the sales are better (XIII-1, XIII-2, Lighting Returns, World of Final Fantasy, Dissidia, etc).
Main titles sales are in decline since FFXV... the decade ago or prior 2010 sales for FF was mostly about main titles with very few spin-offs like FFT, Crysis Core, etc.

Each new entry since FFXV are selling less.... since 2016.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The are official data... the others in your graph are just estimates.

YearMonthCumulative sales
1994September11,500,000
1996December18,500,000
1999December25,000,000
2001March33,000,000
2003June45,000,000
2003September47,000,000
2005September63,000,000
2007March75,000,000
2008June85,000,000
2011March100,000,000
2014March110,000,000
2015December115,000,000
2016December130,000,000
2017March135,000,000
2019September149,000,000
2020April156,000,000
2022March173,000,000
2023June180,000,000
2023September185,000,000

Plus there are way more spin-offs after FFXIII than it have in the past.
That is why you have the sensation the sales are better (XIII-1, XIII-2, Lighting Returns, World of Final Fantasy, Dissidia, etc).
Main titles sales are in decline since FFXV... the decade ago or prior 2010 sales for FF was mostly about main titles with very few spin-offs like FFT, Crysis Core, etc.

Each new entry since FFXV are selling less.... since 2016.
I don' have any sensation, I saw the facts in the Statista graph I provided. The data you added says the same: grew from 110M in Jun 2014 to 185M in Oct 2023, around 9 years and a half: 75M.

Before that period took them longer to sell 75M, or that in around 10 years they sold less. Meaning, it isn't a declining franchise because they are selling more now than before. Which is what we were talking about before.

Regarding main titles after FFXV faster than main titles released after it can be explained because FFXV was multi day one and got the PC port a year and something later, while the other ones are PS exclusive, and in the case of FFXVI and Rebirth, for a relatively new console which had a smaller userbase.

In any case, I think all these post FFXV titles still have many units to sell, maybe also more ports to have, and we need more future data to properly analyze. I think it's too early, specially for Rebirth to take any conclussions.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Seeing this discussion blow up everywhere else now…

What I don’t agree with is the multiplatform being the answer or the reason why it’s not doing better.

While that could be a short term solution if revenues are a concern I don’t think that’s a cause for these estimated launch numbers and comparisons to FF16 and Remake launch windows.

I don’t buy the sequel or Covid excuses either. Seems like a cop out. Did Mass Effect 2 or Halo 3 sell less because they were sequels or something?

I think IT IS worth noting that there is heavy competition in the rpg space in these first 4 months of the year alone. Yakuza, Persona 3, Granblue, Dragons Dogma and even Ronin. So if you’re an rpg gamer you may have actually chosen something else too. Then of course there’s Helldivers… which definitely stole every games thunder sotospeak.

There’s no way it won’t have legs. I refuse to believe that

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Zhuge is a known xbot like Imran Khan. He doesn't know shit. Imran did the same with FF16 and it was bullshit too.

It sold more than Dragons Dogma 2 in all the tracked markets and nobody is saying DD2 is a flop. All of them salty port-beggars.

24 Jun 2022
Seeing this discussion blow up everywhere else now…

What I don’t agree with is the multiplatform being the answer or the reason why it’s not doing better.

While that could be a short term solution if revenues are a concern I don’t think that’s a cause for these estimated launch numbers and comparisons to FF16 and Remake launch windows.

I don’t buy the sequel or Covid excuses either. Seems like a cop out. Did Mass Effect 2 or Halo 3 sell less because they were sequels or something?

I think IT IS worth noting that there is heavy competition in the rpg space in these first 4 months of the year alone. Yakuza, Persona 3, Granblue, Dragons Dogma and even Ronin. So if you’re an rpg gamer you may have actually chosen something else too. Then of course there’s Helldivers… which definitely stole every games thunder sotospeak.

Yeah on shithole forums like ResetERA you've got users like Brazil, Mr Evil 37, Korigama, Trago, PCPlasticFuzz, MJForum Poster, Rogue Blue, Iogash, and especially E.balboa (among many others) almost gloating like the game "deserved" to fail because it's a PS5 exclusive and 3P. These sorts of takes are very room temperature IQ level, if even that, because they ignore ALL the other things that've happened with the brand over the past 10-15 years.

Basically, while I wouldn't rule out that PS5 exclusivity has become a limiting factor, it's only a smaller part of the reasoning and even then, only became a notable potential reason when other factors aside from it compounded over time, factors ultimately pointing back to Square-Enix's history of handling the IP over the past 15 years.

To put it simply, Rebirth is probably paying some sort of price for prior entries having increasingly alienated or divided parts of the fandom with design changes and whiplash going from one extreme to the other between certain installments, as well as some not delivering on earlier promises. I'd say FF XIII arguably started this, and XV continued it especially so (certainly in part because it was originally going to be a 7th gen release). While VII Remake seemed to satisfy a lot of people, I know that some didn't necessarily like all of the changes, and XVI seemed divisive to big parts of the fanbase despite its quality.

I think over time, all of these things might have compounded on each other and is probably the single biggest factor for slower-than-anticipated sales of Rebirth IF any of this speculation is even true. People who might've been Day 1 diehards back in the PS3 era could have fallen out of that with the modern day version of the franchise. It's very possible for that to have been the case. Huge stylistic changes for an established IP can work; GOW 2018 and Ragnarok have proven as such, same with BOTW and TOTK. However I'd also argue the fanbases for those games were maybe more open to bigger shifts, AND the wider public might just be more receptive of traditionally action-heavy games still basically retaining that blueprint but having changes in things like POV perspective (GOW) or shift to a more open-world structure (BOTW).

Maybe the expanded market for a traditionally turn-based/limited action-based JRPG series going more fully action-RPG (especially for a remake that was still mostly turn-based with limited action-like elements through the ATB) isn't as large as the expanded market for say a Zelda or God of War making such big shifts in their own designs. If that's the case, then it just kinda is what it is, and suddenly dumping games like Rebirth on multiple platforms Day 1 isn't going to magically boost sales numbers by several orders of magnitude.

Though just the same, it could be more due to perception of what FF's roots are to the wider market and Square-Enix still needing to find the optimal way to communicate a translation of that to a different style that more of the wider market jump in to. But, they have to be consistent with it, meaning going forward they need more games like Rebirth and less games like XV.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Zhuge is a known xbot like Imran Khan. He doesn't know shit. Imran did the same with FF16 and it was bullshit too.

It sold more than Dragons Dogma 2 in all the tracked markets and nobody is saying DD2 is a flop. All of them salty port-beggars.

Well Square still didnt reveal the sales numbers, so it very likely underperformed, if it was profitable or not that's a another story, Sony probably sank a butload of money on the FF exclusivity.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

I mean, it is undeniable that having more platforms lead the better sales, but I agree with you in essence.

We'll get an idea of what kind on May 12th(?) when the earnings report comes about.
Square Enix is going to have to talk about FF games.

No they did not, ME and Halo grew as a franchise with sequels.
There's no golden rule when it comes to franchises and sequels but FF seems to be one of those franchises where direct sequels tend to not do as well as the first.
It was the case with X-2 and the XIII sequels. Although you could say they were multiple factors going into that, but the reality is that's what happened.

This is why a few sales people were not bullish on the FF7R trilogy project and locking the best FF developers into such a lengthy development. Still need to see the official numbers, but if it turns out to be true, it's probably pretty bad news for Part 3.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
heh. I mentioned Me2 and Halo 3 because I’m well aware those two in particular blew away their predecessors. And if “narrative” is such a big part… Mass Effect games are literally connected more directly.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I mean, it is undeniable that having more platforms lead the better sales, but I agree with you in essence.
Not true. This is the new narrative du jour ever since Xbox started flopping this gen.

Spider-man, GOW, TLOU and Horizon all sold 20+ millions as exclusives. Even smaller games like Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne and Days Gone sold more than multiplats from Square, Capcom and Sega. Multiplat pubs would kill for these "flops".

Don't get me started on Nintendo exclusives. It blows everything away.

The same people shitting on exclusivity were celebrating 1 million and 2.5 millions sales across all platforms last month.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Not true. This is the new narrative du jour ever since Xbox started flopping this gen.

Notice how I also say "agree with you in essence" at the end which means that I agree that with him FF will not start selling a quadrillion because it's on more platforms.

There's no narrative coming from me. Having a game on more platforms will lead to a greater total sales, it's that simple.
Because obviously not everyone that would want to play a game will have the platform the game is on.

It doesn't mean that you can't sell a shit load of copies being a platform exclusive game.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Spider-man, GOW, TLOU and Horizon all sold 20+ millions as exclusives. Even smaller games like Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne and Days Gone sold more than multiplats from Square, Capcom and Sega. Multiplat pubs would kill for these "flops".

Don't get me started on Nintendo exclusives. It blows everything away.

The same people shitting on exclusivity were celebrating 1 million and 2.5 millions sales across all platforms last month.
Hence, I don't understand the narrative of Sony needing PC ports. Their games sell more than 3rd party multiplat releases. For example, Resident Evil games struggle to sell more than 7 million across all platforms. SIE games sell between 7 to 25 million copies only on Playstation. I believe only R* games and COD sell more than them.

• they're_right_you_know

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Maximillion dude had this to say:
“Square received arguably one of the biggest payouts from Sony for a near decade long trilogy of games possibly being locked to their console across potentially THREE consoles? More sales would be nice sure, but Square got paid hard 12+ years ago to offset multiplat.”

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Maximillion dude had this to say:
“Square received arguably one of the biggest payouts from Sony for a near decade long trilogy of games possibly being locked to their console across potentially THREE consoles? More sales would be nice sure, but Square got paid hard 12+ years ago to offset multiplat.”

I believe Maximilian is probably referring to the interview/article written by Gene Park in which he said that the trilogy was exclusive but edited the article after the fact because it was incorrect(in the way he phrased it).

It's highly likely these deals are on a game by game basis, especially considering the trilogy's sales trend could've went either way and that would be quite a risk to give a lump sum at the start of the whole thing.
That would not be sound risk management by PlayStation.

Anyhow, it's sort of besides the point, I get Max's argument that Square is getting paid well for its exclusivity.
But they would've been paid equally for one or two numbered FF as well. I do think exclusivity + working a very long time on FF7 Trilogy and not on pumping out more numbered FF games is probably a potent combo that may or may not be a strong negative in term of broadening the audience for the series in terms of new player acquisition for this time period.

I am sure that way back when, the suits at SE and folks at Studio Division 1 looked into different options and estimated budget/ROI for different scenarios. As to if they met their goal(s) with FF7 Trilogy, it's really impossible to know.
We're not likely to see something like the Insomniac leak that shows us a neat slide where all of those estimations are written somewhere.

Last edited:
  • brain

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
final-fantasy-7-rebirth-sales.large.jpg

Aanalysis firm Ampere has been doing for recent PS5 exclusive Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. Square Enix has yet to provide any concrete information on how well Rebirth has sold, but PS5 daily active user data suggests that it's surpassed at least 2 million copies since its launch on the 29th February.

So, how does that compare to other big budget Final Fantasy games released over recent years? Well, for starters, Final Fantasy 7 Remake — the original PS4 version, and Rebirth's predecessor — managed 3.5 million sales in just three days.

Meanwhile, Final Fantasy 16 — which had Square Enix sending mixed messages with regards to its success versus the publisher's expectations — sold 3 million at launch. Like Rebirth, it was also a PS5 exclusive.

Ampere Analysis

Source via Pushsquare
"surpassed at least 2 million copies"

Like, no shit. So they don't have the numbers and try to deduce the total sales based on daily active users. Quite the bullshit analysis.

I expect much more than that, and it's an evergreen title. Once Part 3 gets close to release, Rebirth will get even more sales, etc.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Basically, while I wouldn't rule out that PS5 exclusivity has become a limiting factor,
Notice how I also say "agree with you in essence" at the end which means that I agree that with him FF will not start selling a quadrillion because it's on more platforms.
Let' say PS5 has around 50M users, Xbox 25M and PC >100M.

Releasing the game to a potential audience of over 150M obviously would get more sales than releasing it to an audience of 50M.

It is highly nonsensical to think it would sell zero copies on Xbox and PC. Obviously would have sold more if multiplatform, 100% chances.

If they didn't make it multiplatform like FFXV (which sold more than Rebirth) is just because Sony moneyhatted it, just like with FFXIV, FFXVIIR and FFXVI.

MS games sell less because of worse quality and because being included day one on GP, not for being multiplatform.

Over time, since several generations ago all publishers have been moving to being more multiplatform (or crossgen) because AAA have been becoming more expensive every generation, so they needed more sales, and a bigger userbase reach means more sales.

Last edited:
  • haha

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Hence, I don't understand the narrative of Sony needing PC ports. Their games sell more than 3rd party multiplat releases.
Well, you are cherrypicking using the RE example. Similarly, you could also also use many other multiplayer examples that sell more than the Sony games, like the (non-mobile gaming) most played and top grossing games on console (including PS) and PC, which are most of them multiplatform. Excluding obviously Switch, which has limited top seller 3rd party support due to lack of horsepower:

image.png

For example, Resident Evil games struggle to sell more than 7 million across all platforms
Not the case:
image.png

RE4 Remake is at 6.40M, but because released only 1 year ago. Capcom's games keep selling during many years, it will sell several millions more. Pretty likely RE3R and RE4R will end selling over 10M.

Which is more than what Ratchet, Returnal, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, Sackboy, Demon's Souls, Days Gone or Death Stranding and many other Sony games sold. Sales that were ok back then but for future games that will cost over $300B (or even $400B) won't be enough. So they must get more money from any possible source if they want to continue making a lot of big AAA games at the same time.

Last edited:

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Not the case:
image.png

RE4 Remake is at 6.40M, but because released only 1 year ago. Capcom's games keep selling during many years, it will sell several millions more.
Out of those 13 million copies sold for RE2 ,11 million are at 20$, sure if you want to pump up and inflate numbers like that you can go the sony ps4 route of selling copies at 10-20$, this is the reason zero dawn sold >15 million copies. No one likes aloy that much that it sells near zelda levels at full price. If square does discounts like that they can surely hit those numbers

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Out of those 13 million copies sold for RE2 ,11 million are at 20$, sure if you want to pump up and inflate numbers like that you can go the sony ps4 route of selling copies at 10-20$, this is the reason zero dawn sold >15 million copies. No one likes aloy that much that it sells near zelda levels at full price. If square does discounts like that they can surely hit those numbers
Yes, like the Sony games the RE games also get discounted and price dropped. Everyone except Nintendo does this.

Nintendo can afford it because they don't have almost 3rd party competition on their platform, and their cult followers buy almost anything they release, even overpriced cardboard accesories that players themselves have to build. And since they have a small amount of big games releases on their platform players normally buy older big (mostly Nintendo) games because it's the most appealing thing they have there.

But that smaller 3rd party support means way less games are sold in Switch in total and per console than in PS (or PC).

Last edited:

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Yes, like the Sony games the RE games also get discounted and price dropped. Everyone except Nintendo does this.

Nintendo can afford it because they don't have almost 3rd party competition on their platform, and their cult followers buy almost anything they release, even overpriced cardboard accesories that players themselves have to build. And since they have a small amount of big games releases on their platform players normally buy older big (mostly Nintendo) games because it's the most appealing thing they have there.
Don't get me wrong I am one of the biggest fans you can find of RE4, but FF games are fundamentally very different from RE and Monster Hunter. If you are good enough and know what you are doing you can beat the RE games in one sitting, MH is co-op and can be played in small bursts. FF has the disadvantage of not being able to rush through the game in 1 or 2 sittings. Frankly for the adderall generation big JRPGs are kryptonite

What Square can do to truly make FF a global phenomenon again is to try to make a monster hunter like, they have the monster bestiary to pull it off