Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth had 2nd biggest PS5 launch in Japan only behind FF16! Launch Sales (physical) - 262, 656

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
As usual with Square, their naming scheme is retarded and is surely a negative effect on sales

If I'm a low information gamer there is nothing about the names that indicates to me that these are 3 parts of a whole

FFVII Remake
FFVII Rebirth
FFVII Reunion (probably)

Direct sequels should be called Part 2, Part 3 etc
I kind of agree here. Ff7 remake part X makes more sense.

Maybe ff7 remake part 2: Rebirth would’ve been a better naming scheme.
They already used reunion for the Crisis core remaster so it will probably be revenge or revival. Hoping for revenge as that just sounds cool.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I kind of agree here. Ff7 remake part X makes more sense.

Maybe ff7 remake part 2: Rebirth would’ve been a better naming scheme.
They already used reunion for the Crisis core remaster so it will probably be revenge or revival. Hoping for revenge as that just sounds cool.
💪

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Interesting if we put these numbers in context with week 2 UK numbers.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
how it is a big drop. it is usual drop for almost all games +- in that range.

Compared to other JRPGs(they're usually a VERY frontloaded genre) it's on the very high end in terms of week 2 drops but that's not surprising for a remake/nostalgia project IMO.

(UK Numbers) Week 1 ---> Week 2
Final Fantasy XIII (-80%)
Final Fantasy XV (-75%)

Final Fantasy VII Remake (-87%)
Final Fantasy XVI (-78%)
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (-89%)

The game is also less digital than Remake(COVID) and FF XVI(it was cheaper digitally than retail in the UK for some reason)
So this higher physical drop is more significant in terms of the totality of sales than the last two entries.

Like I said, it is not unexpected, because it's a JRPG AND it's a Part 2 of a trilogy.
Each instalment will probably be more(?) front loaded due to the playerbase being more and more comitted and likely to buy the next part Day 1-3.

But for fans here(and everywhere else) expecting a little bit more commercial success considering the critical reception and the general buzz within the community, that's just not going to be the reality of things.

FF games sales are generally front loaded. Part 2’s budget is clearly gargantuan… and if it pays off significantly less than 16 did. I dunno wtf to say. They’ll definitely reevaluate 7’s westernized open world game design too.

I’m fine with them making a sequel to 16. I didn’t like it much at all but I’d still like to see them iterate on the formula. It needs works big time … and honestly I prefer it over the nonsense they’re doing with this narrative here.

FF7R2 budget is almost assuredly quite significantly smaller than FFXVI due to the much faster development timeline(and less money spent on marketing. This was the correct move since a Part 2 would get dimishing return from advertisement, you're going to lose potential customers once they realize they've "got to" play the first part first.

I expect the break even point to be significantly lower compared to FFXVI.

To be fair, this is pretty much the only way to make the economics of the trilogy make sense with diminshing returns every instalment. Anything less than this relatively quick development timeline would've been seen as a real loss in terms of opportunity cost. Folks have to remember for a company it's not that something has to sell well or not, they also have to look at it in from the lens of "what if we had greenlight THIS project instead?"