Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth had 2nd biggest PS5 launch in Japan only behind FF16! Launch Sales (physical) - 262, 656

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Persona 5 sold more in Japan than both FFXVI and Rebirth 🤷‍♂️

They are both JRPG and that is why the compulsion exists.
People who uses Japan only physical only sales of FF7 to console war are fucking stupid. Nintendo fans especially.

Like yeah for every other game we gona use global sales but for final fantasy no were gona stick to japan sales only to fit our agenda.

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Ok so sales are what they are, the question is WHY do you think they are what they are now?

Remake sold well, something around 700k first week in Japan. So why is rebirth so much lower? Few theories:

-The ps5 installed base isnt high enough yet, but that doesnt explain why it sold less than 16.

-The episodic nature of the game. I think this could paly a big role in it. Maybe alot of people who got part 1 didnt realize it was midgar only and that made them not want to continue with it anymore? Perhaps Squares lack of transparency when it comes to how save data will transfer from part 2-3 is factor as well (albeit extremely minor)

-Taking 4 years for each chapter makes people lose interest: Honestly this is probably the main reason. FF7s main audience is probably of a certain age group from the PS1 era and that age group has either moved on in life from gaming, or has a family now and doesnt have time.

-The demand for an FF7 remake is an extremely vocal, online minority that doesnt exist in large enough numbers in reality? Not sure this would be the case because part 1 did do well.

-Story changes/Whispers/Not direct remake: I could see this also rubbing people the same way. I dont think changes are all that dramatic in the big picture but from what spoilers ive read of rebirth, it seems they really walked back their ambitions to make whispers change things which indicates to me they got alot of negative feed back about it. Maybe this is a big reason as well?

Im sure i missed a point or 2 but it I think it could be a combination of all of these.
Well I can tell you the reason I haven't yet bought Rebirth is because of the last reason you mentioned. They basically butched the original game in Remake in so many ways. So I just don't care about the rest of it.

Like I said elsewhere, still might get Rebirth to check out how they remade the locations, hear the new arrangements etc. But I couldn't care less about the game. I know I'm not the only one in that boat.

I bought Remake before it released.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
People who uses Japan only physical only sales of FF7 to console war are fucking stupid. Nintendo fans especially.

Like yeah for every other game we gona use global sales but for final fantasy no were gona stick to japan sales only to fit our agenda.
You have basically no ideia of what is talking 😂

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It's clear that FF as a franchise is in decline in Japan. Nothing to do with PlayStation or exclusivity. It can't run on the switch or potatobox

Reactions: ethomaz

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
That PS4 install base is only PS4… you forget the 1.5m PS4 Pro.

It was at 9.1m when Remake released.
I am not sure how this proves the point you are trying to make even more "If" its not including "Pro" Sales "which it is"
but then again i have noticed with any Final Fantasy sales thread that has been made you tend to jump in and say "sales bad - not good" even when they are doing good for the install base.

-

But anyways as with all sales threads even when they are good news
ITS THE END AS WE KNOW IT
EVERYTHING'S IN DECLINE

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

A decade ago FF used to sell 10x than Persona or Tales Of in Japan.
Today? Can’t even beat them.
No it didn’t.

24 Jun 2022

A decade ago FF used to sell 10x than Persona or Tales Of in Japan.
Today? Can’t even beat them.

Persona 5 also had like 9 million versions and late in its life got a Switch port.

XVI and Rebirth are only on single iterations, don't have late multi-console ports (not a big deal), and Rebirth is a direct sequel to Remake.

You...you kinda need to put the context in there. It's important.

It's clear that FF as a franchise is in decline in Japan. Nothing to do with PlayStation or exclusivity. It can't run on the switch or potatobox

No, if you're going simply by physical sales then you have to admit it definitely has something to do with PlayStation in the region. Because even games like Elden Ring, for physical debut sales in Japan, had "low" numbers (much lower than Rebirth's, in fact).

So is Elden Ring also a declining IP? What about Resident Evil? Street Fighter? Tekken? Armored Core? And keep in mind all of those were multiplatform, with Day 1 PC releases as well as Xbox. From what certain people tell me PC is big in Japan so that should be massively increasing the digital ratio of those games in Japan yet regional breakdowns show Japan still quite small for them compared to others.

Guess PC isn't as massive a platform in Japan for these games as people keep trying to say :/

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnic

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I am not sure how this proves the point you are trying to make even more "If" its not including "Pro" Sales "which it is"
but then again i have noticed with any Final Fantasy sales thread that has been made you tend to jump in and say "sales bad - not good" even when they are doing good for the install base.

-

But anyways as with all sales threads even when they are good news
ITS THE END AS WE KNOW IT
EVERYTHING'S IN DECLINE
No point at all.
I’m only saying you forget PS4 Pro data.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Persona 5 also had like 9 million versions and late in its life got a Switch port.

XVI and Rebirth are only on single iterations, don't have late multi-console ports (not a big deal), and Rebirth is a direct sequel to Remake.

You...you kinda need to put the context in there. It's important.
Launch numbers are better than FF too.
It was over 300k for Persona 5.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
  1. PS4] Persona 5 {2016.09.15} — 264,793 / NEW
  2. [PS3] Persona 5 {2016.09.15} — 72,974 / NEW
Remake outsold both combined on just ps4. If persona were to release exclusively on ps5 it would have similar numbers to Persona 3 Reload

24 Jun 2022
Launch numbers are better than FF too.
It was over 300k for Persona 5.

Yeah but digital was very low for Persona 5 so that 300K represented the vast majority of sales. For Rebirth more of the sales are digital vs. P5, so chances are with digital Rebirth will be around 430K-450K.

I think second week sales for Rebirth in Japan will be a bit more telling because if WOM is going to be strong like some are claiming, then we should start to see it in the 2nd week. Either in physical sales, or an official update from Square-Enix.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
No, if you're going simply by physical sales then you have to admit it definitely has something to do with PlayStation in the region. Because even games like Elden Ring, for physical debut sales in Japan, had "low" numbers (much lower than Rebirth's, in fact).

So is Elden Ring also a declining IP? What about Resident Evil? Street Fighter? Tekken? Armored Core? And keep in mind all of those were multiplatform, with Day 1 PC releases as well as Xbox. From what certain people tell me PC is big in Japan so that should be massively increasing the digital ratio of those games in Japan yet regional breakdowns show Japan still quite small for them compared to others.

Guess PC isn't as massive a platform in Japan for these games as people keep trying to say :/
Sorry you're going to have to reframe this for me because I don't get what point you're making. "It has to do with PlayStation in the region, and here are some examples of multiplatform games that had lower debuts to prove it."

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yeah but digital was very low for Persona 5 so that 300K represented the vast majority of sales. For Rebirth more of the sales are digital vs. P5, so chances are with digital Rebirth will be around 430K-450K.

I think second week sales for Rebirth in Japan will be a bit more telling because if WOM is going to be strong like some are claiming, then we should start to see it in the 2nd week. Either in physical sales, or an official update from Square-Enix.
430k means a 40% digital ratio for Rebirth.
I doubt it but hey it can happen 🤷‍♂️
But 450k for a FF game in Japan still show big decline.

Square Enix PR probably will wait 3 million worldwide.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

I think some of it has to do with japanese tastes in video games as well.

The regions just isn't the best place for these games to be successful.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I wonder what peopel are gonna say when Dragons Dogma 2 sells even less in two weeks :unsure:

Everyone following the Japan sales trend will say the same thing, PlayStation software sales is on the decline and has been for a very long time.
DD OG first week sales:
01./00. [PS3] Dragons Dogma <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.05.24} (¥7.990) - 302.040 / NEW
04./00. [360] Dragons Dogma <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.05.24} (¥7.990) - 29.024 / NEW

It's also one of the Top 20 best selling PS3 games in Japan, and I'm fairly sure DD2 is only going to do a fraction of these sales.
I think some of it has to do with japanese tastes in video games as well.
The regions just isn't the best place for these games to be successful.

Switch/Switch 2 or don't bother when it comes to Japan at this point.
Xbox is irrelevant, PlayStation is weakening, PC is growing pretty rapidly in recent years but is still too small of a market.
Although certain publishers like FromSoft and Capcom, that have been supporting the PC platform the longest, are selling a decent amount on PC locally.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Tired of forums treating FF like its the biggest franchise ever, even after all this time. FF domination on Gamefaqs was well 25 years ago guys lmao. The game is selling well, and it's also fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78