Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth New Trailer Revealed, Coming in Early 2024 on 2 Discs | Summer Game Fest 2023

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Call it whatever you want. It’s still really stupid, and really badly done imo. It’s not even suitable as a “young adult novel” (which is more along the lines of the original FF7). But I’ll probably still buy it just to see the original locations in their modern day glory. All of that stuff looks incredible. It’s a shame that it’s all being delivered in a turd sandwich of a story.
All I'm saying is don't poison the well before playing it lol.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
So is it coming to PS4 too?

Edit: Nope, PS5 only and no other home consoles.

Reactions: arvfab

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
All I'm saying is don't poison the well before playing it lol.
A lot of people decided to fully commit to hating the Remake saga the very second it became clear that it wasn't going to be a 1:1 remake. No point in trying to convince them to lighten up at this point, honestly.

• sad
Reactions: anonpuffs

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Call it whatever you want. It’s still really stupid, and really badly done imo. It’s not even suitable as a “young adult novel” (which is more along the lines of the original FF7). But I’ll probably still buy it just to see the original locations in their modern day glory. All of that stuff looks incredible. It’s a shame that it’s all being delivered in a turd sandwich of a story.

You can clearly see where Nomura's time spent working on the KH games is starting to seep into how he wants to retell FFVII in the final stretch of the game.

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
You can clearly see where Nomura's time spent working on the KH games is starting to seep into how he wants to retell FFVII in the final stretch of the game.
People keep saying this, but Final Fantasy games have always, always had a habit of ramping up scale and stakes at the very end of the game with no warning. Even IX, which was co-written by Sakaguchi, did this. Final Fantasy was already Kingdom Hearts before Kingdom Hearts was Kingdom Hearts.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
People keep saying this, but Final Fantasy games have always, always had a habit of ramping up scale and stakes at the very end of the game with no warning. Even IX, which was co-written by Sakaguchi, did this. Final Fantasy was already Kingdom Hearts before Kingdom Hearts was Kingdom Hearts.

FF8 had the "we all had amnesia" plot twist but 7 and 9 had pretty straight forward final stretches. The only odd-ball thing 9 does is that you have a sudden final boss out of nowhere.

With FFVII Remake, there's just way too much of 'but what if fate and destiny and death alteration and alternate timelines and ...." kind of escalation that keeps increasing in absurdity with each scene in the final few chapters.

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
FF8 had the "we all had amnesia" plot twist but 7 and 9 had pretty straight forward final stretches. The only odd-ball thing 9 does is that you have a sudden final boss out of nowhere.

With FFVII Remake, there's just way too much of 'but what if fate and destiny and death alteration and alternate timelines and ...." kind of escalation that keeps increasing in absurdity with each scene in the final few chapters.
FF8 also had going to space and time travel. FF9 had a final boss that comes out of nowhere, yes, but immediately preceding that, the party leaves a parallel world introduced in the last third of the game to go to the origin of life in the universe, and that final boss is supposed to be a physical embodiment of death. All the way back in FF4, you defeat Golbez, then its revealed that he and Cecil are brothers and members of a race of people who live on the moon. And honestly, we can even go back to FF1, where you travel back in time by two thousand years and right before the final boss fight, Garland reveals he's been exploiting a time loop for functional immortality.

All I'm trying to say is, final act bullshittery is not new to FF, and 7R is nowhere close to being the most egregious one. It only feels that way because the game exists in a time where budget and technology make that suddenly ramped-up scale more obvious.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
FF8 also had going to space and time travel. FF9 had a final boss that comes out of nowhere, yes, but immediately preceding that, the party leaves a parallel world introduced in the last third of the game to go to the origin of life in the universe, and that final boss is supposed to be a physical embodiment of death. All the way back in FF4, you defeat Golbez, then its revealed that he and Cecil are brothers and members of a race of people who live on the moon. And honestly, we can even go back to FF1, where you travel back in time by two thousand years and right before the final boss fight, Garland reveals he's been exploiting a time loop for functional immortality.

All I'm trying to say is, final act bullshittery is not new to FF, and 7R is nowhere close to being the most egregious one. It only feels that way because the game exists in a time where budget and technology make that suddenly ramped-up scale more obvious.

And also that instead of this being end-game bullshittery, it's now bullshittery enforced into 1/8th way through FFVII.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
5KxNs5m.gif

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
And also that instead of this being end-game bullshittery, it's now bullshittery enforced into 1/8th way through FFVII.
Well, depending on the length of Rebirth and Part 3, it's probably more like 1/4th now.

But regardless, I can at least see their reasoning behind it. The biggest problem with stories that are one narrative but cut into parts is making each part feel like it still has three acts. It's especially true for movies that are cut into parts; the first or middle part is always hit with the complaints that it just... ends.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

FF7R is also only 1/3 of the full game so there's still plenty of time to make the nomuraisms make sense. I have confidence in the team that's making it. To be honest if FF7 was made today and suddenly there's a giant mecha called Sapphire Weapon stomping around, it'd probably get a similar reaction to how the purple Nomura boss did at the end of FF7R part 1.