Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Performance Mode Visual Update on the Way, Director States |UP| Patch 1.03 released!

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Update 4/11

Update....

Square Enix has announced that patch version 1.020 for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is out today. This update makes a number of improvements, such as framerate and graphical fixes, as well as new difficulty settings for select minigames and more

You can view some of the patch notes below, translated by Ryuji. We will update this article with official English notes by Square should they be shared.

• Fixed some typos and added corrections to certain text.
  • Fixed a bug that occurred under certain conditions on the map when controlling a character.
  • Fixed an issue where certain abilities by Red XIII could be easily canceled during battle.
  • Fixed a bug that caused enemies to abruptly stop under certain conditions during battles.
  • Fixed a progress bug that occurred under certain conditions during quests.
  • Improved frame rate and overall game stability.
  • Added Sharp and Soft options to the Performance Mode settings.
  • Improved graphics quality.
  • The camera’s reverse setting is now reflected when riding a sky Chocobo and for the shooting mini-game (likely Pirate’s Rampage) camera.
  • Enhanced guidance support while climbing the ivy at the Mythril Mines.
  • Added difficulty settings to the customization screens for Fort Condor and Gears and Gambits mini-games.

According to outlet One More Game, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth director Naoki Hamaguchi has stated that an update patch for the game is in the works, with at least part of its intention consisting of a fix for the visual quality in performance mode. No precise date for the arrival was stated, other than Hamaguchi believing it would arrive soon. This update is being done on feedback from players, particularly regarding how some of the facial lighting is inadequate.

You can view Hamagcuhi’s comments quoted below:

We’ve received a lot of feedback on whether the graphics in the performance mode will be improved or not. We hear you, and we are currently working on an update patch to improve that aspect. I don’t think the release date would be far away from now.

We have heard from players that in certain situations, the facial lighting makes some character shadows look very scary. So that’s one part of the update that we are working on.

Thanks to Genki on Twitter for sharing this news.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Just give an option to disable the shit upscaling at the very least, they clearly don't know what they are doing.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Some of the discourse around ff7 rebirth is we need more powerful hardware.

Then I look at what guerilla accomplished with hfw and don't buy excuses for this not being a dev and/or engine issue.

I know guerilla are first party and will optimise alot more, but ps5 is capable of so much more.

Reactions: Umar and Gamernyc78

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

Then I look at what guerilla accomplished with hfw and don't buy excuses for this not being a dev and/or engine issue.

I know guerilla are first party and will optimise alot more, but ps5 is capable of so much more.

Square games have had terrible performance all gen. It’s just square.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Just give an option to disable the shit upscaling at the very least, they clearly don't know what they are doing.
I think developers should drop 60 fps altogether. It's just holding back games potential in the same way of doing cross gen.
These are $500 consoles. We expect highest quality at stable 30 fps performance and no frame pacing issue.
If consoles gamers want 60 fps, then pay more for hardware. Honestly, it doesn't make sense that consoles stick to the pricing of mid 2000s. Probably cheaper if you count inflation. Actually, it's cheaper than PS3 without considering inflation.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

We known for sure Guerilla wasn't building HFW as exclusive, it had problems too.

The same as SE.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
FFVII performance mode being blurry has nothing to do with hardware and all to do with SE technical incompetence.

TLoU Part 2 on PS4 was simple native 1440p native and no one complained about it being blurry.
I think developers should drop 60 fps altogether. It's just holding back games potential in the same way of doing cross gen.
These are $500 consoles. We expect highest quality at stable 30 fps performance and no frame pacing issue.
If consoles gamers want 60 fps, then pay more for hardware. Honestly, it doesn't make sense that consoles stick to the pricing of mid 2000s. Probably cheaper if you count inflation. Actually, it's cheaper than PS3 without considering inflation.
No way, 60fps being sort of standard is the best thing that happened this gen. If you like 30fps play on the 30fps mode.

I'll take 1080p 60fps any day over 8K 30fps.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
How is 60fps hold back games potential?

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I never want to go back to the 30fps. Not worth the trade off one bit. I’m thrilled it’s actually sorta standard right now. Granted that’s because everything now, before and after will be designed cross-gen and scalable in some form.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
This is actually true.

Remember at start of this gen how it lose the generation WOW factor because developers were choosing to push 60fps to 120fps that made visual similar to PS4 games at 30fps giving the sensation of no upgrade.

It is very simple if you have a 30fps render you have twice the amount of system resources to use in graphics.
To reach 60fps will always have big comprimisses in graphics terms.

People can prefer 60fps (or 30fps) but moving from 30fps to 60fps indeed have big compromises in graphics… that is undeniable.
Like it is not undeniable that the response time of 60fps is better than 30fps… so moving from 60fps to 30fps you have to compromise response time.

BTW there are game and games… some 30fps games are bad implemented… for example nobody even give a shit for Destiny not being 60fps because their 30fps implementation was amazing while everybody shit in Bloodborne because it have bad 30fps.

It was funny playing both at the same time because when you shift between them Destiny give the impression to be in fast forward mode for some seconds just like when you shift from 30fps to 60fps… but that go away fast because our eyes adapts to it pretty well.

That shock feeling only happens when you direct sift between 30fps and 60fps… when you give interval between them you don’t have that and both good 30fps and good 60fps feels good.

PS. I will check late but I believe I played FFVIIR in 30fps…

Last edited:

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Playing in performance mode. Some pop-in, low res textures and blurriness is in the game but nowhere near major enough for me to stop playing, wait for a patch or switch to graphics mode. Game looks excellent regardless and I prefer the frame rates over the visuals anyway so works out good for me.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Playing in performance mode. Some pop-in, low res textures and blurriness is in the game but nowhere near major enough for me to stop playing, wait for a patch or switch to graphics mode. Game looks excellent regardless and I prefer the frame rates over the visuals anyway so works out good for me.
I have to get!

Reactions: peter42O

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Really been enjoying my time with this. Been taking my time. Of course I'm playing in graphics mode so things are mostly fine for me.

I do think for a game like this they should implement a 40fps mode.