Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 40-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70-80%

• 80-85%

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
The obsession with Metacritic is pathetic and honestly reeks of insecurity, both in one's personal taste and in the medium of video games entirely. A game doesn't "need" to hit any score to be GOTY-worthy, let alone 90+.

I looked back at some of my favorite games' Metascores.
- Devil May Cry 5 (PS4) is 88
- Yakuza 0 (PS4) is 85
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4) is 84
- 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS4) is 85
- Doom Eternal (PS4) is 87
- Lost Judgment (PS5) is 82
- Returnal (PS5) is 86
- Tales of Berseria (PS4) is 79
- Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) is 87

If someone told me that any of these games was their own GOTY in their respective year, I wouldn't think twice about it. They're all great games in their own right.
Unfortunately Sony pays attention to it. So until they demand every score be weighted equally things won't change.

Reactions: Bryank75

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Game informer review burns my eyes. Guy thinks it's a 10/10 but purposely gives it an 8.5 because of bullshit like representation. FUCK i hate this industry
This isn't accurate at all. He has plenty of comments about the game, including the gameplay, story, and pacing. I'd say those three things are pretty major.

Also, the "unweighted" average looks like it's an 89 currently. Again, at the numbers these reviews hit at, it's pretty hard for any one review to materially affect the score.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This isn't accurate at all. He has plenty of comments about the game, including the gameplay, story, and pacing. I'd say those three things are pretty major.

Also, the "unweighted" average looks like it's an 89 currently. Again, at the numbers these reviews hit at, it's pretty hard for any one review to materially affect the score.

Screenshot_20230621_223946.jpg

what does "biggest miss" mean?
He said the pacing of the sidequests sucked. Optional sidequests. What the fuck are we talking about here? They are looking for every minor bullshit excuse to ding points off of a game, Zelda is nowhere near perfect but every reviewer looked past the multitudes of flaws (let's talk about pacing in THAT game) and gave it 10s anyway. What is this bullshit narrative? Dude lies his ass off, says there's flaws to the RPG side of things, but it's literally an action game, not a traditional RPG, and that wasnt even his main complaint in the review!

Screenshot_20230621-225200_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
View attachment 1658

He said the pacing of the sidequests sucked. Optional sidequests. What the fuck are we talking about here? They are looking for every minor bullshit excuse to ding points off of a game, Zelda is nowhere near perfect but every reviewer looked past the multitudes of flaws (let's talk about pacing in THAT game) and gave it 10s anyway. What is this bullshit narrative? Dude lies his ass off, says there's flaws to the RPG side of things, but it's literally an action game, not a traditional RPG, and that wasnt even his main complaint in the review!

View attachment 1659
Reviewers need to understand they are not reviewing these games for their own personal catalog. It is to inform the consumer. If the game is a 10.... Then give it a 10..

They need to understand a 10 doesn't mean it's a perfect game. It can have flaws and still be a 10/10 experience. Like they did with Elden Ring and Zelda... Both with their own flaws

This game was never sold as an RPG. It's an action game with RPG elements. I see this critique in quite a few reviews. I also still don't comprehend why they continue to give games to people to review that hate the genre..

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Reviewers need to understand they are not reviewing these games for their own personal catalog. It is to inform the consumer. If the game is a 10.... Then give it a 10..

They need to understand a 10 doesn't mean it's a perfect game. It can have flaws and still be a 10/10 experience. Like they did with Elden Ring and Zelda... Both with their own flaws

This game was never sold as an RPG. It's an action game with RPG elements. I see this critique in quite a few reviews. I also still don't comprehend why they continue to give games to people to review that hate the genre..
Many games get a free pass and 10/10 across the board even if they have some flaws or performance issues. Not FF16. It's like they went out of their way to find anything to complain about.

88 is a good score but it feels low when all the comments are so positive.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
View attachment 1658

View attachment 1659
That's a very 21st century Eastern Seaboard view of slavery. Europeans were enslaved by the Ottomans and each other for centuries.

Did Zelda have POCs and did those POCs accurately represent the trauma faced by their respective races? If not, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to dock 6 points.

• they're_right_you_know

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
We should have an OT to discuss the game yeah? Or do we just do it here? Just starting to play it continuing from where the demo left off and the visuals are definitely still incredible.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
We should have an OT to discuss the game yeah? Or do we just do it here? Just starting to play it continuing from where the demo left off and the visuals are definitely still incredible.
I think we should split off a separate thread so we can discuss spoilers without other people who read the thread for reviews have to dodge landmines. Playing the game now btw, I can see why some people say the early sidequests aren't great. Whatever though

• thinking_hard

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I think we should split off a separate thread so we can discuss spoilers without other people who read the thread for reviews have to dodge landmines. Playing the game now btw, I can see why some people say the early sidequests aren't great. Whatever though
Those small delivery sidequests are like a tutorial. People complain about anything.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and Bryank75

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
image0.jpg

Yea metacritic was a mistake. Look at that. LMAO pokemon a 10. Quests re insulting?? Shit reeks of bias.

Reactions: Box and FIREK2029

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
You still need to use spoiler tags in spoiler thread, because we at the different time in story.

Just write your progress first, that people could see, before reading it further.

Last edited: