Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 40-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70-80%

• 80-85%

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AuraCuba

28 Apr 2023
FzxXP26XoAA58UB
Dunno how FF16 having so many cutscenes is such a sticking point with journalists when so many of these same journalists praised Persona 5 despite it being 75% visual novel, and I'm saying that as a person who actually does like Persona 5 quite a bit.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Dunno how FF16 having so many cutscenes is such a sticking point with journalists when so many of these same journalists praised Persona 5 despite it being 75% visual novel, and I'm saying that as a person who actually does like Persona 5 quite a bit.
Point is, he played 4h and gave full review of the game 😂

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Many of these people decided long before playing the game what score they wanted to give it, I am absolutely sure.

It's funny that their website is called 'TheGamer' cause I wouldn't believe this guy was any type of gamer at all!

Also, welcome to the forum! :)

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Still haven't finished but I would've much rather if instead of Clive having all the Eikon powers he had just the Ifrit ones and we changed to control other party members (Cid, Jill, Torgal, etc).

You end up having to switch between too many things, I drink potions by mistake all the time trying to control Torgal and I really dislike the circle move from the Ramuh skills.

Combat is great but couldn've been even better.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Still haven't finished but I would've much rather if instead of Clive having all the Eikon powers he had just the Ifrit ones and we changed to control other party members (Cid, Jill, Torgal, etc).

You end up having to switch between too many things, I drink potions by mistake all the time trying to control Torgal and I really dislike the circle move from the Ramuh skills.

Combat is great but couldn've been even better.
This game is few inches away from becoming a timeless classic. I say better side quest and a more challenging combat where elemental power should have been utilized for combat strategy.
Level design could have taken advantage of little better verticality and multiple routes.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Spoilers ahead so be warned

So I ended up taking longer than I thought I would to play through this game due to RL stuff. At the final mission before going to the floating crystal and I can give my thoughts because I pretty much know how the final fight is going to go. Completed 100% side quests.

For me the game is a 9/10. Would be a 10/10 except I'm taking 0.5 for the performance which is just a bit above unacceptable, and I'm taking 0.5 because they half-assed the itemization in the game. If I open another fucking chest with 10 bloody hides or some other shit I don't care about I'm going to scream.

Minor nitpicks that I'm not deducting score for because they are just my personal preference (although I wouldn't blame someone else from taking points off for any of them):

-IMO the Ultima plotline should be a hidden superboss attached to NG+ or post-endgame. I would have preferred a standard FF tactics storyline where you played political machinations ending with defeating Odin/Barnabas/Waloed.
-IMO the sidequests could have been spaced better. I didn't need an explosion of 15 sidequests that unlock right between the penultimate fight and the final one.
-Combat is a little too easy. IMO the monsters need to be more aggressive, with less time in between attacks. Because of this I had a hard time with the Chronoliths because they were such a step up in the execution required (not avoiding damage, but chaining abilities to get through it with enough time to spare to finish the entire run)
-Jill storyline was completely underbaked, I didn't give two shits about her revenge against the Iron Kingdom. Missed opportunity to have a section where you control her just like you controlled Joshua as a kid
-They should have cut some of the lower quality cutscenes that they didn't have time to polish up, some of the NPC animation was really bad.
-Feels like they didn't fully commit to showing the horrors of war. I can see people feeling betrayed by the demo being extremely bloody and visceral and the rest of the game not really reaching that level of brutality again. I also feel that the characters are too black and white to be respected as adult drama. Everyone you help is a good person, everyone you fight is a bad guy. Not enough nuance to characters.
-Last point. I wish they had more magic. GIVE ME FIRAGA DAMMIT. If they rewarded magic burst combos with allowing you to supercharge into higher level spells that would have been sick

*edit* last point
The side chicks are hot af. FF saving games once again. Vivian is hot, Eloise is hot, Jote is cute as hell, even the bar chick Maeve is pretty nice

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
IMO the Ultima plotline should be a hidden superboss attached to NG+ or post-endgame. I would have preferred a standard FF tactics storyline where you played political machinations ending with defeating Odin/Barnabas/Waloed.

I mostly agree with everything you said besides this. FFT also ends with a big crazy monster battle lol

who also happens to be ultima lol

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
This game is few inches away from becoming a timeless classic. I say better side quest and a more challenging combat where elemental power should have been utilized for combat strategy.
Level design could have taken advantage of little better verticality and multiple routes.

Agree.

Game was too easy, side quests average, lack of items and not to forget lack of enemy variety.

Seemed to be fighting dogs, scorpions and chocobos most of the time.

The only FF game I have played in which I never grinded to level up my character. Finished the game on Level 45.

88 was a fair result on metacritic.

I absolutely loved the story.

Would have been my favourite Final Fantasy ever if they kept all the RPG elements of previous FF games.

It being an Action RPG is not the issue. The lack of challenge and barebones RPG elements is the issue.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Agree.

Game was too easy, side quests average, lack of items and not to forget lack of enemy variety.

Seemed to be fighting dogs, scorpions and chocobos most of the time.

The only FF game I have played in which I never grinded to level up my character. Finished the game on Level 45.

88 was a fair result on metacritic.

I absolutely loved the story.

Would have been my favourite Final Fantasy ever if they kept all the RPG elements of previous FF games.

It being an Action RPG is not the issue. The lack of challenge and barebones RPG elements is the issue.
I did feel like the enemy variety was a little low, and the encounter design uninspired. Fight 10 little guys, oh here comes a midboss at the end.

Reactions: Muddasar

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
After beating the game I have to to say some of the S rank fights are a joke, an example being Gorgimera. The only fights that are a challenge at the time you unlock and face them are Atlas and Svarog. Svarog in particular is hands down the hardest fight in the entire game. He will straight up two shot you if your not careful. I wished the rest of the S rank fights were similar in difficulty to Svarog.

Reactions: Vertigo

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
After beating the game I have to to say some of the S rank fights are a joke, an example being Gorgimera. The only fights that are a challenge at the time you unlock and face them are Atlas and Svarog. Svarog in particular is hands down the hardest fight in the entire game. He will straight up two shot you if your not careful. I wished the rest of the S rank fights were similar in difficulty to Svarog.
I'm starting to think it sufer the same issue that Bayonett suffer... the combat is flawed.

When I played Bayonetta on PS3 I found it one of the most easy combat ever... that was because I just witch time in every single hit that reached me (it was too easy to hit R2 and release witch time)... after in the late in the hardest difficult where they remove the witch time from you I just started to hold Triangle, Release, Hold again, Release, Hold again using Swords... so that loop was basically flawless to all enemies including most bosses... plus it was a ranged attack that hit all enemies in your 180 degree front.

I feel like the Dodge is too easy in this game (you barelly needs to time it like in Sekiro) and the party with a similar witch time effect happens too easy (and breaks enemy attacks... for example when in Trancendence your moves are so fast that just hitting Square will make you eventually parry the enemy dozen of time in sequence).

The combat is probably mechanically fine but these well skills/features make it flawed imo.
So making the game harder is probably not a easy task.

PS. I'm basically goint that route when find enemies... use Phoenix to wipe all minors and go head a head with the major enemy doing dodging+beserker all the time while span abilities... in the mean time I use Transcendence when full filled (it is fills so fast that I prefer to use it instead whatever it fully fill... eg. the Phoenix move in 3-4 minors will basically fill over 2 bars of Trancendence).

PS2. I died sometimes because I mistoke the use of potions or sleep (I'm playing at midnigh).

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I wonder if they could just come to their senses and unlock all difficulties from the start, it's such an arbitrary thing to do.

Reactions: Yobo

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

10. Dead Island 2 - 56 votes (2% of total votes)
9. Octopath Traveler II - 57 votes (2%)
8. Street Fighter 6 - 95 votes (4%)
7. Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores - 126 votes (5%)
6. Dead Space - 146 votes (6%)

5. Diablo 4 - 225 votes (9%)​

4. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - 231 votes (9%)​

3. Hogwarts Legacy - 269 votes (10%)​

2. Resident Evil 4 - 396 votes (15%)​

1. Final Fantasy XVI - 547 votes (21%)​

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022

10. Dead Island 2 - 56 votes (2% of total votes)
9. Octopath Traveler II - 57 votes (2%)
8. Street Fighter 6 - 95 votes (4%)
7. Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores - 126 votes (5%)
6. Dead Space - 146 votes (6%)

5. Diablo 4 - 225 votes (9%)​

4. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - 231 votes (9%)​

3. Hogwarts Legacy - 269 votes (10%)​

2. Resident Evil 4 - 396 votes (15%)​

1. Final Fantasy XVI - 547 votes (21%)​

FINALLY we get an amazing year to remember.
And to think that in January I was very impressed with Forspoken!!! It's a good game but every game after it stole goty.
Hogwarts? Fantsatic game. Really had the most chill, relaxing time playing it. Great looking, playing and just addictive.
RE4 remake? Stuff of legends. Not sure if I like it more than original but I liked it enough to finish it again right after finishing it first time.
Then ff16? Oh my god. This is one of the best games I've ever played. It is incredible what happens in this game and how it looks/plays/sounds.

And I've not played everything. Dead Space sits on my shelf too. Burning shores and Forspokendlc.
I plan to get dead island when it's cheap too.

Not to mention my BACKLOG OF SHAME.... Nier automata, spider man and mm, ghostwire, saints row reboot, order1886, until dawn.
And I plan to replay ff7 remake before rebirth.... and maybe finally play 7 origina.. and maybe 13. I am fuuuuuucked :p

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
FINALLY we get an amazing year to remember.
And to think that in January I was very impressed with Forspoken!!! It's a good game but every game after it stole goty.
Hogwarts? Fantsatic game. Really had the most chill, relaxing time playing it. Great looking, playing and just addictive.
RE4 remake? Stuff of legends. Not sure if I like it more than original but I liked it enough to finish it again right after finishing it first time.
Then ff16? Oh my god. This is one of the best games I've ever played. It is incredible what happens in this game and how it looks/plays/sounds.

And I've not played everything. Dead Space sits on my shelf too. Burning shores and Forspokendlc.
I plan to get dead island when it's cheap too.

Not to mention my BACKLOG OF SHAME.... Nier automata, spider man and mm, ghostwire, saints row reboot, order1886, until dawn.
And I plan to replay ff7 remake before rebirth.... and maybe finally play 7 origina.. and maybe 13. I am fuuuuuucked :p
Forspoken is pretty bad imo.

This year Hogwarts, REmake 4, Zelda, SF6 and FFXVI are indeed the best releases.

Last edited:

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Forspoken is pretty bad imo.

This year Hogwarts, REmake 4, Zelda, SF6 and FFXVI are indeed the best releases.
They are all maybe better games that Forspoken.
But Forspoken is very much worth playing. That combat is so good

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
They are all maybe better games that Forspoken.
But Forspoken is very much worth playing. That combat is so good

A forspoken sequel could have had the potential to become a hit franchise, the basics were there it just needed some refinement.