Financial Times] Why Japan Should Sell Nintendo - A sale of one of its crown jewels could be transformative for the country

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

1697111392483.png

There are two reasons why, however hard it is to imagine the pathway to that event, a sale process of Nintendo would be transformative — not least because it might convince consolidation-resistant Japanese companies to seek scale and protection through mergers.

The first is that for Japan as a whole, the intensely high profile of a Nintendo sale would finally crystallise the sense of how undervalued many of its crown jewels really are — and how many smaller jewels are being sold to private equity and others at bargain prices. Microsoft would merely be one of many potential buyers: it is easy to imagine Disney or Apple stepping in, followed quickly by Google and Sony. Activision's deal valuation would look small by comparison.

But the greater reason is that Japan may itself need the sort of moment that it foisted on the US in 1989 when Sony bought Columbia Pictures. That acquisition, in all its boldness and ferocity of ambition, was disruptive in a way that was ultimately as valuable to a then-chagrined Hollywood as it was to Japan's sense of achievement.

Disruption is not something that an individual company or a market tends to wish upon itself, but there is a risk that Japan's stock market has painted itself into a corner where only disruption will do. Until this actually comes, the country could do worse than think about how positive a disruptive Nintendo sale might be.

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
Jim Ryan Laughing GIF - Jim Ryan Laughing Playstation ...

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
You don't get it do you.

why paying for 70 dollars for a game when you can rent it 40 dollars a month

oh well yeah that’s a good point lol. I’d rather rent the games at a 40 dollar price than a 60 dollar price.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Microsoft would destroy all Nintendo Ip and studios in 5 years. Is it worth destroying gaming to get Mario All Stars on gamepass?

There’s no way anyone working there would even stay working for MS as the mass exodus from Xbox studios have shown; absolutely fucking no one wants to work for Phil

This is crony garbage from MS stooges from those who celebrate the destruction of studios and their profits to bolster a failing gamer welfare program.

Nintendo isn’t run by retards… 🤣 No fucking chance they ever sell.

D

Deleted member 223

They got their eyes on Nintendo.... whether it's MS, Apple or Disney.

Corporate America can't stand that the premium games market is controlled, after decades upon decades by Japan. By hook or crook they want to change that dynamic and it's not in gamer's best interest, better believe it.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Weird that FT, a business paper is writing as if The Japanese Government is empowered to make this decision. Japan is a capitalist market, not a commune.

My feeling is that Nintendo should close. They wouldn't be any better under foreign ownership.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Selling Nintendo, especially to MS, would:
  • Bring better worker's rights to Nintendo
  • Fix Japan's ageing population problem
  • Fix Japan's stagnant GDP problem
  • Allow Microsoft (a $2.5T company) to compete with Sony (a $106B company)
  • Provide players with more choice
Weird that FT, a business paper is writing as if The Japanese Government is empowered to make this decision. Japan is a capitalist market, not a commune.

Because they empowered to make this decision, or at least, the decision to prevent Nintendo from selling to a foreign entity.

My feeling is that Nintendo should close. They wouldn't be any better under foreign ownership.

I genuinely don't know what this means. They are profitable, why should they close? LOL

• haha
Reactions: Falcs and Snes nes

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Selling Nintendo, especially to MS, would:
  • Bring better worker's rights to Nintendo
  • Fix Japan's ageing population problem
  • Fix Japan's stagnant GDP problem
  • Allow Microsoft (a $2.5T company) to compete with Sony (a $106B company)
  • Provide players with more choice

Because they empowered to make this decision, or at least, the decision to prevent Nintendo from selling to a foreign entity.

I genuinely don't know what this means. They are profitable, why should they close? LOL
If this fix the aging issues by importing people into the country, then it is not fixing.

Is having a hegemonous country is something so hard for westoids to understand?

same with GDP, inflate the ecomony with FDA would smoke its asses much later, espcially after the population boom era and FDA ran dried, all the fogeirn firms leave suit.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
If this fix the aging issues by importing people into the country, then it is not fixing.

Is having a hegemonous country is something so hard for westoids to understand?

same with GDP, inflate the ecomony with FDA would smoke its asses much later, espcially after the population boom era and FDA ran dried, all the fogeirn firms leave suit.

I was being sarcastic...

24 Jun 2022
Another Microsoft-funded "thought experiment" (Jesus what a sad sack of unoriginal imbeciles, they can't even avoid obvious buzz words and phrases from the leaked documents) with points that conveniently favor a $2.5 trillion tech conglomerate having its worst year in gaming insofar as noteworthy, genuinely successful 1P, right after their previous worst year in gaming where they had virtually NO significant 1P releases whatsoever.

A $2.5 trillion tech conglomerate that wants to take the shortcut and buy its way to market relevancy through purchasing 3P publishers and foreclosing once-multiplat content on competitors. A $2.5 trillion tech conglomerate that's seeing stagnating console revenue growth in spite of buying a 3P publisher who would have seen more commercial success releasing certain games this year on certain "competitor platforms", therefore could make good argument that MS's acquisitions are hurting overall revenue growth and stability of the console games industry market. And a $2.5 trillion tech conglomerate, that wants to repeat all of these problems to even greater magnitudes with ABK.

Yes, let's write a stealth fluff-piece to play theatrics towards Japan's economic & population concerns. When the actual point of said article is to trick gullible dolts into accepting a scenario for a $2.5 trillion tech conglomerate who's failing to stabilize and build relevance with what they ALREADY have, to buy, destabilize, and ultimately ruin arguably the most historic gaming company in history.

Thank goodness I don't subscribe to filth like this.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They got their eyes on Nintendo.... whether it's MS, Apple or Disney.

Corporate America can't stand that the premium games market is controlled, after decades upon decades by Japan. By hook or crook they want to change that dynamic and it's not in gamer's best interest, better believe it.
Flip side to that, Corporate America allows anyone to buy shit up over here including land and corporations. Shit half of Manhattan is owned by the Asians (specifically Chinese) now 😂😂😂

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I was being sarcastic...
ah yes, didn't see your card.

At the end of the day Nintendo will probably stays independent since they owns a lot of assets, 1/3 of Pokemon too.

Just funny how corporate sheeps have already write the narrative, we don't want another Disney in the making when they owns so much IPs but pumping out garbages.