Financial Times] Why Japan Should Sell Nintendo - A sale of one of its crown jewels could be transformative for the country

D

Deleted member 223

Flip side to that, Corporate America allows anyone to buy shit up over here including land and corporations. Shit half of Manhattan is owned by the Asians (specifically Chinese) now 😂😂😂
Not everything and not anyone but in certain sectors and to a degree yes. I personally wouldn't allow housing to be freely purchased and controlled by foreign nationals - bidding and competing for real estate with locals driving the price up and thus hurting affordability. Even real estate for hospitality and commercial purposes I would only allow partnerships with host nation businesses, and in a 51- 49 split arrangement. The day you allow foreign nationals of rival, competing states, hostile or otherwise to become your landlords, is the day you become serfs and vassals of a foreign state. Naturally it has been U.S practice of using this practice against other smaller countries - so hypocrisy is aplenty but whatever. It also helped that the U.S middle class and its upper class was the most affluent in the world by far - thus little competition. That is obviously no longer the case to a significant degree. I'm sure from a U.S deep state apparatchik pov scheming economic grand-strategy the current status quo is "manageable" and thus not a pressing matter in need for a "national security" intervention - aka congressional law... just yet. They're however spooked about farm land - rightfully touching the food security aspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Not everything and not anyone but in certain sectors and to a degree yes. I personally wouldn't allow housing to be controlled by foreign nationals - bidding and competing for real estate. Even for hospitality and commercial purposes, only partnerships with local, and in a 51-49 split arrangement. The day you allow foreign nationals of hostile states to become your landlords, is the day you become serf and vassals of a foreign state. I'm sure from the U.S politician pov the current status quo is "manageable" and thus not a pressing matter in need for a "national security" intervention - just yet.
Many will beg to differ in regards to "pressing matter" most of this is done for greed obviously and many are just loyal to money regardless of the outcome.

D

Deleted member 223

Many will beg to differ in regards to "pressing matter" most of this is done for greed obviously and many are just loyal to money regardless of the outcome.
They're loyal to whomever can take that wealth away from their bank accounts. The ones with that power is the U.S treasury department sanctions division. There is nothing more frightening to men of privilege and excess wealth than waking up to realize their assets are completely frozen and all their life's work is gone, just like that in a matter of seconds, from riches to rags. Not that such weapon will be deployed domestically on home grown oligarchs as there are many other ways to stop the game and sink it for good by the stroke of a pen. Thus like I said, this playground of greed is something that is being monitored to a degree and deemed manageable and "ok". The day it becomes a pressing issue, for national security reasons.... the whole of congress, in a matter of days, to go along with a concerted media campaign can put a clamp on it like clockwork. Just like say, when the need arose to block Huaweii from the U.S market to protect Apple, and its insane profits margins (and Samsung as a byproduct) - or the myriad of export restrictions of high tech to the Chinese to stifle their high tech industry and growth. The powers that be just don't deem the real estate problem as it posits currently as a priority. If anything BlackRock is a bigger issue - in-house and homegrown - an infinitely bigger issue. The U.S already has a working model for that real estate problem at any rate... they did it to the Russians, in all of the E.U, and to a certain extent in the U.S - pure theft under pretexes on a massive scale. Taiwan becomes a flash point, I expect nothing less. But it doesn't need a Taiwan flash point - any excuse works, and even without one - although the U.S prefers to manufacture excuses when masking aggressive moves - legal, illegal or in-between.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think foreign ownership of urban land is more an "American ally" issue than it is an American one. A large part of that is that the Chinese release fewer "tourist visas" to the US than they do to places like Canada, hence Vancouver having a worse land price crisis than Seattle (when buying a once a year vacation estate the Chinese buyer will look towards the place he's actually allowed to go.)

A few places in the US are starting to have this problem but you can count them on one hand (San Francisco, Manhattan, Aspen and Jackson Hole, Hawaii) but thats not necessarily even a Chinese buyer problem. And, fortunately, the rise of working from home is vastly decreasing the pressure on regular people to actually live in or near those places. In that sense the market will solve the problem itself without needing such "unAmerican" things as limitations on private property ownership.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Did you read the article? It wasn't about Xbox at all, it was about sacrificing Nintendo on the alter of stock prices and asset valuations, putting investors above employees, sustainability and companies themselves. And no, it wasn't a Microsoft hit, FT (and Bloomberg) march to the beat of Wall Street's drum, not Redmond's.

Yeah, it's a mere coincidence that all that material comes out about Phil discussing a Nintendo acquisition as his crown jewel and suddenly this article pops out.

Not related at all

Reactions: Cool hand luke

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Yeah, it's a mere coincidence that all that material comes out about Phil discussing a Nintendo acquisition as his crown jewel and suddenly this article pops out.

Not related at all
Its a financial writer's take on the concept of selling Nintendo. He heard the concept and talked about it from a non-games, "its good for us bankers" perspective.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Its a financial writer's take on the concept of selling Nintendo. He heard the concept and talked about it from a non-games, "its good for us bankers" perspective.

Of course. That Bloomberg has always doom pieces about Sony, especially when MS shits the bed, is a complete coincidence. That this article comes following the bullshit about Philnoccio wanting to buy Nintendo is also a coincidence.

I swear some people eat icecream with their foreheads.

Reactions: Johnic

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Of course. That Bloomberg has always doom pieces about Sony, especially when MS shits the bed, is a complete coincidence. That this article comes following the bullshit about Philnoccio wanting to buy Nintendo is also a coincidence.

I swear some people eat icecream with their foreheads.
This article is from the Financial Times. Its like Toyota making a car and then you complaining about Honda's bullshit.