For the astronomer in you

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
I love going down rabbit holes when it comes to astronomy and theoretical physics, even if I'm unable to understand most math they present. One of the most fascinating things for me though is how some people still think we're alone in the universe. The possibility for that being the case is so remote it's ridiculous.
"According to Jos de Bruijne, a scientist at the European Space Agency (ESA) who works on the galaxy-mapping Gaia mission, the current estimate is between 100 to 400 billion stars. Getting to a definitive number, de Bruijne told Space.com, will be difficult.

The Gaia mission, in orbit since 2013, has managed to map positions of 1.7 billion stars in the sun's neigborhood up to the distance of 326 light-years. While astronomers could extrapolate those numbers to model the entire galaxy, even Gaia struggles to see some of the faintest and smallest stars and its results are therefore not perfectly accurate."

The above is an excerpt from this article, for the people interested in it.

I definitely think we're not alone in our own galaxy, let alone the whole Universe. The best image Hubble eXtreme Deep Field could reveal was approximately 5,500 galaxies over an area of about 1/32,000,000th of the observable sky, so whoever thinks we're alone, I certainly don't share your "optimism".

Last edited:
  • thisistheway
Reactions: Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
"According to Jos de Bruijne, a scientist at the European Space Agency (ESA) who works on the galaxy-mapping Gaia mission, the current estimate is between 100 to 400 billion stars. Getting to a definitive number, de Bruijne told Space.com, will be difficult.

The Gaia mission, in orbit since 2013, has managed to map positions of 1.7 billion stars in the sun's neigborhood up to the distance of 326 light-years. While astronomers could extrapolate those numbers to model the entire galaxy, even Gaia struggles to see some of the faintest and smallest stars and its results are therefore not perfectly accurate."

The above is an excerpt from this article, for the people interested in it.

I definitely think we're not alone in our own galaxy, let alone the whole Universe. The best image Hubble eXtreme Deep Field could reveal was approximately 5,500 galaxies over an area of about 1/32,000,000th of the observable sky, so whoever thinks we're alone, I certainly don't share your "optimism".

The math is pretty amazing

Average number of stars per galaxy - 100,000,000 (100 million)
Average number of planets per star in our galaxy - 1.6
Number of galaxies - 2,000,000,000,000 (2 trilion)

Now onto the math:
  • Number of galaxies X number of stars per galaxy = 200,000,000,000,000,000,000 = two hundred quintillion
  • Number of stars X number of planets on average per star = 320,000,000,000,000,000,000 = three hundred and twenty quintillion
That's an absurd number of stars in the universe.

Now, let's estimate that only 0,0000000001% (number pulled off my ass) of all planets can harbour life as we know it. The magic number is... 32000000000 = Thirty two billion

And btw, I'm of the opinion that life exists pretty much everywhere, and likely in our solar system (there's a couple of moons that could harbour it, like Europa).

Edit - I don't think I messed up my math but I may have.

Reactions: Deleted member 38
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
The math is pretty amazing

Average number of stars per galaxy - 100,000,000 (100 million)
Average number of planets per star in our galaxy - 1.6
Number of galaxies - 2,000,000,000,000 (2 trilion)

Now onto the math:
  • Number of galaxies X number of stars per galaxy = 200,000,000,000,000,000,000 = two hundred quintillion
  • Number of stars X number of planets on average per star = 320,000,000,000,000,000,000 = three hundred and twenty quintillion
That's an absurd number of stars in the universe.

Now, let's estimate that only 0,0000000001% (number pulled off my ass) of all planets can harbour life as we know it. The magic number is... 32000000000 = Thirty two billion

And btw, I'm of the opinion that life exists pretty much everywhere, and likely in our solar system (there's a couple of moons that could harbour it, like Europa).

Edit - I don't think I messed up my math but I may have.
Because people have different takes on what "life" might mean, some will think microbes, while others will consider "life" a species like ours. But there is definitely more of it out there.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Because people have different takes on what "life" might mean, some will think microbes, while others will consider "life" a species like ours. But there is definitely more of it out there.
Even intelligent life, more intelligent than us, is not just possible, but very likely.

• thisistheway
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
Even intelligent life, more intelligent than us, is not just possible, but very likely.
I think there's a Kardashev Scale floating around even in this thread... and I think even that is limited by our own imagination compared to what might exist out there.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

star wars GIF

• thisistheway

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Near the horizon the full moon often seems to loom large, swollen in appearance by the famous Moon illusion. But time-lapse image sequences demonstrate that the Moon's angular size doesn't really change as it rises or sets. Its color does, though.

ngQmuv2.png

Image Credit & Copyright: Lorenzo Busilacchi

The moon looks bigger near the horizon because it suddenly has a reference point for size :)

• brain
Reactions: EbonyRainbow