For the first time PlayStation Trophies will be available on PC.

24 Jun 2022
Why would people buy games from a Sony PC store? Exclusive games, exclusive features like cross game save, 3rd party trophies, potentially cheaper games, PS+, Crunchyroll if sony was smart and bundled it with PS+.

There aren't going to be PC PS Store exclusive games, and if they're cheaper than Steam (which is already cheaper than the PS console versions when those release), that's just a further kick in the crotch to dedicated console owners.

Also any PC store/launcher from Sony means they will be doing Day 1 PC for non-GAAS and GAAS titles, to add value proposition to the launcher. Which just also means further conflict with the console's value proposition, at least in standing with the traditional business model.

Statements like this really reveal a lack of understanding and nuance.

Does Warner and Disney have the same strategy when it comes to their movie releases?

They release in theaters and then they release on streaming, but some warner media ends up on other streaming services rather than just HBO Max.

Why doesn't Netflix do more theatrical releases and why don't HBO and Disney go almost purely streaming?

MS didn't do Day 1 for all games right from the jump; it took them roughly 4 years to fully implement that. In a similar 4-year time frame, we went from Sony going "it's just going to be a small sampling of games ported" to now only having six 1P games remaining console exclusive only midway through the PS5 gen, before the PS5 Pro even launches.

Certain ports, being as short as six months, BTW. And you can bet they are debating right now (or have already decided) if they should bring non-GAAS titles to PC Day 1 to replicate the performance of Helldivers 2.

Is Wolverine coming to PC Day 1?

It's already there, Day -730 (and then some)

They've had more announcements related to PC on their blog because PC is an emerging market for them. Consoles are matured, hence there is more to announce for PC.

It's the optics of it all; like Microsoft, there's been an increasing amount of "tell, don't show" from Sony when it comes to showing their console is still the priority. You can't just say it's the priority and then do little to continuously show that to be the case. Many announcements from Sony over the past year or so have given the impression they are taking certain things for granted.

The PHYSINT announcement was nice because that was actually them showing console and Japanese partnerships still being important to them...but PHYSINT isn't for PS5. It's a PS6 game.

And who knows how their business operations will look like by the time PHYSINT releases (in like 2030).

Announcing Ghost of Tsushima on PC which is already on PS5 and has been for more than 2 years, doesn't take away from a lack of equivalent announcement on PS5. That anyone thinks that that is how business works is really telling. It's not a zero sum game, nor does it reflect which platform has their focus.

I don't give two shits about "how business works" at this point of the conversation, because it appears for me to understand "how business works", I have to be a brown-nosing Yes-man to whatever market agenda corporate suits want to push along. I've seen what that has done to Xbox fans, I'm not letting myself go down that same path.

I can only consider what's "business-wise" to an extent before it begins to conflict with my own personal interests from a customer POV, and a hobbyist POV. From the POV of someone who has been a big fan of previous efforts with prior generations of the brand and feels that so many things are being untapped on the console front now simply because of penny-pinchers and shareholders who want stupid infinite "growth" at all costs.

Sony is about to release a brand new PlayStation console this year.

Good luck to them with that.

Wolverine is going to be one of the biggest games released next year.

Didn't you read the hacks/leaks? Wolverine's 2026, buddy. It would have been 2025 if a PC version weren't in simultaneous development with console though 😊

GTA6 is going to push more PlayStation consoles than maybe any game in PlayStation history.

So what? GTA6 isn't what defines me as a gamer or a fan of the hobby. How many PlayStations Sony can sell doesn't matter so much to me, if I feel there are things being done which don't align with my personal preferences as a gamer.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
PC gaming is a growing market that generates more gaming revenue worldwide than the PS.

…..

But I assume that their long term goal is that you'll be able to play them anywhere to give their games a potential reach of >3B users instead of just >50M to generate way more money from them.

Making the similarity with movies would be to limit a movie to be released only on Betamax versus having it also in VHS, DVD, Blueray, tv, cinema, cable and streaming platforms etc. independently of their brand.

Getting revenue from own games is but just one revenue stream for a platform holder. The big money lies in owning the platform to get 30% of everything sold without dev investment, without risk…

The only way the above works is by offering a unique proposition to drive a user base, and traditionally it is by offering content not available anywhere else.

Netflix is a platform with unique content, as is Disney etc. And that model won’t change. It is their platforms that are portable, not the inherent model..

Portability of a gaming ecosystem is much more complex due to the nature of a real-time experience and hardware.

Sony selling their catalog on alternate platforms is contrary to what a platform holder stands for and dilutes the foundation of their own eco system. Long term damage is being done.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's practically the same at this point, just slower. And no spotlight-hogging CEO to act as the face of the brand on podcasts and interviews.
This is a lie. They are very different and have very different results. And you know it.

A couple years ago I'd of agreed. Currently? They've had more announcements for PC on the official blog this year than new 1P releases and (substantive) features for their console.

Regarding announcements, regarding State of Plays this year so far they only had one focused on stuff coming to the half of the year or so, most 3rd party (ZZZ, Silent Hill The Short message, Metro Awakening VR, etc) where they shown already announced first party stuff like Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Death Stranding 2, but also announced the Until Dawn remake and Physint. Plus they also had previously already announced stuff for this year (TLOU2R, MLB, Final Shape, Concord, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside for first party, FFVIIR, SH2, Granblue Fantasy Relink, Little Devil Inside, etc).

In their late May/June update very likely they'll focus mostly on sfuff to be releated during the rest of the 2024 and 2025, with maybe an exception or two teasing stuff that would be released later.

Other than that, as I remember they only shown DLC (GT7, Helldivers 2, Destiny 2, FFXVI..) and regarding PC specific ports announcements, there's only has been GoT.

Is Wolverine coming to PC Day 1?

It's already there, Day -730 (and then some)

Like all games it's made in PC but we know that no, won't be released on PC day one.

Getting revenue from own games is but just one revenue stream for a platform holder. The big money lies in owning the platform to get 30% of everything sold without dev investment, without risk…

The only way the above works is by offering a unique proposition to drive a user base, and traditionally it is by offering content not available anywhere else.

Netflix is a platform with unique content, as is Disney etc. And that model won’t change. It is their platforms that are portable, not the inherent model..

Portability of a gaming ecosystem is much more complex due to the nature of a real-time experience and hardware.

Sony selling their catalog on alternate platforms is contrary to what a platform holder stands for and dilutes the foundation of their own eco system. Long term damage is being done.
Regarding 1st party games, to get the "70%" of "$3B" is more money than to get the 100% of "50M".

Regarding their platform yes, their biggest revenue source is the 30% cut they get from 3rd party content and to have their own store to avoid paying the 30% of their 1st party content. Make sure they'll make the PC PSN store and (once forced in Android and iOS by the court/regulators) mobile PSN store. But before doing the store they need a proper library of games for these platforms and a fanbase there.

And yes, the PlayStation ecosystem will alway have exclusive content. As an example, if you want to buy right now Locoroco Remastered, Bloodborne or Spider-Man 2 you can only make it in a single place. And every year grows, because the amount of pc ports of old games is smaller than the PS/console only releases, so the number will keep growing.

Regarding portability, the differences between PC, console and mobile keep getting smaller and smaller. Specially for most players when watched on a tv at a distance unless you're watching a digital foundry comparision, or vs watching it in a small display where less detail isn't that noticiable. It will become more and more common to see games released in console+PC+mobile natively.

And well, there's the cloud too. Nowadays having a good connection relatively close to a server the difference 99% of the time versus playing natively in PS+ isn't noticiable for most players.

And well, related technologies will continue improving, making the difference with playing natively even smaller: data compression, internet package distibution improved by AI, 6G/7G/etc, increased fiber coverage, more servers open across the world, image reconstruction and supersampling + framerate improved by AI, internet packet loss reduced and recovery improved, faster servers with reduced latency, next generaitons of wifi and bluetooth, etc. In 5 and specially 10 years from now the streaming technology will be miles better than now. I mean, look at PS cloud gaming today vs when PS Now was released 10 years ago.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Playstation is really playing with fire here. They don't want the default gamer narrative to go from "Playstation is the best console" to "just get a PC".

People say that the hardcore fans are only a small portion of the userbase. This is true, but it ignores the fact that the core fans are the ones that shape the narrative and advise the casuals.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Regarding PUBG, PS has the normal one.
That’s the thing Sony should have all mobile developers port there game to PS not just some. How does Sony wants to expand its platform if it doesn’t grabs these games that aren’t on the PS platform & storefront.

There’s over 1 billion mobile gamers instead of destroying your platform & storefront by telling gamers hey you can get our games elsewhere Sony should be dropping the requirement to publish a game on PS almost by default PC gets a bunch of exclusive games cause the barrier is so low Rust, PUBG, Lethal Company I can keep going these games not releasing on PS hurts the platform & makes “genz” want a PC to play a game that there streamers are playing on PC because the barrier to publish on PS is to high.

Lower barrier for early access. Get Mobile developers to publish there mobile games like BTD6, PUBG mobile, COD mobile, Free Fire, Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride, Supercell games including Clash of clans, Brawl Stars, Clash royal all of these games are massive & PS isn’t grabbing these mobile gamers because there games aren’t on the PS platform so by default gamers gravitate to mobile.

PS done great work w Hoyoverse & other Asia centric mobile games but there a bunch of massive mobile games not on the PS platform. Instead Sony is focus on diluting the PS platform & storefront which will lead in developers skipping PS & solely focusing on PC since it has Xbox, PS & PC games in 1 platform & Nintendo & mobile platform just like developers aren’t focus on the Xbox why would you create a game for Xbox when there platform is diluted & there might not be here in the next 5-10 years w a niche platform base

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Yes, but way more people will prefer to buy a $500 hardware to play them day one instead of a way more expensive hardware with not the same plug and play experience where they'll have to wait some years to play them on similar conditions minimum a couple years later.

This is a 3rd party time limited console exclusive. Every year/generation PS has way more 3rd party limited console exclusives and total 3rd party exclusives. And way more important than a TMNT game made by a mobile gaming developer which won't almost sell on Switch because sales on that platform are way too focused on 1st party games.

I mean, Sony had recently FFVII Rebirth or Granblue Fantasy Relink. And have games like Genshin Impact, Honkai Star Rail and the upcoming Zenless Zone Zero. Regarding PUBG, PS has the normal one.
The thing is at this point console aren’t the cheaper option 💀 it’s not just $500 for the console

PS console $500 per 6-7 years
PS online subscription $80 per year & could go higher in the future
PS first party $70 & could go higher in the future

PS console having a limited library missing Xbox games, missing PC games, missing Steam games, missing cheap subscription like gamepass that can be exploited, missing emulation library, missing mobile games

There’s really no upside for PS console which can be the reason Xbox is trying make a more open platform similar to PC w now PS dropping there walls Xbox could get PS games on there hardware now.

PC might be more expensive upfront but long term save hundreds of not thousands

You can get a 4070 for $1200 get PS, Xbox, PC & mobile games + Steam exclusive library, cheap subscription like gamepass that can be exploited, no online subscription, emulation library. & if not a $1000 PC you can get into the PC ecosystem w the Steamdeck 2 for $500 same price as a console. All this can last for a minimum of 10-20 years since PC acts like Mobile where game get release for multiple configuration unlike console where they either support 1-2 configuration

If you have a platform you either have permanent exclusive games or not & go full 3rd party there isn’t this well we have exclusive games for 1 year before they go to direct platform. PS has a platform it’s there duty to have permanent exclusive games or get rid of there platform just like Xbox. Console players pay for online subscription as a way to “support” the close wall garden but if those wall gardens are drop then why would a console consumer continue to pay something other platforms don’t pay & just migrate to wherever has all the games, play best & for a much cheaper price.

PC & Mobile don’t charge for online even Steam & Apple who have close gardens don’t charge a online subscription it’s a no brainer a reason Xbox gamers entirely migrated to PC over stating or continuing investing in Xbox console

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That’s the thing Sony should have all mobile developers port there game to PS not just some.
PSN already has an issue of including a too high volume of crap shovelware games. You don't want thousands of additional mobile gaming shovelware titles on top of that being released every year.

But to release in PSN some curated mobile games that still aren't available, yes. Other than Leap Day, Marvel Snap and maybe the Supercell titles, I don't know what else I'd ask for. I haven't been following mobile a lot and most of the game I saw there didn't interest me.

How does Sony wants to expand its platform if it doesn’t grabs these games that aren’t on the PS platform & storefront.
PS done great work w Hoyoverse & other Asia centric mobile games but there a bunch of massive mobile games not on the PS platform.

I'd say most of the games that are interesting for console players already are in console. Which ones are you missing other than the Supercell ones?

There’s over 1 billion mobile gamers instead of destroying your platform & storefront by telling gamers hey you can get our games elsewhere Sony should be dropping the requirement to publish a game on PS almost by default PC gets a bunch of exclusive games cause the barrier is so low Rust, PUBG, Lethal Company I can keep going these games not releasing on PS hurts the platform & makes “genz” want a PC to play a game that there streamers are playing on PC because the barrier to publish on PS is to high.
PUBG and Rust are available on PSN:
https://store.playstation.com/es-es/product/EP5262-CUSA14391_00-PTSBUN0000000000
https://store.playstation.com/es-es/concept/233072

Lethal Company is one of these 1 in a million cases where, between mountains of shovelware garbage in PV, some indie game made by some random unknown dev gets super successful. As happened with PUBG and Rust, once it becomes successful their devs may consider a console port, pretty likely hiring someone else to port it.

I think PlayStation Indies already does a great job curating indie gaames, but I think there's normally between the thousands of Steam shovelware titles, one or two indie hits that nobody saw coming on Steam becomes very successful. I think PlayStation Indies should do a better job maybe tracking the best sellers of every week and contact quickly those who pass a certain threshold (maybe they already do it) to offer them the PS port paid by Sony.

Next month I'll meet Yoshida in person in an industry event, I'll suggest it to him.

Lower barrier for early access. Get Mobile developers to publish there mobile games like BTD6, PUBG mobile, COD mobile, Free Fire, Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride, Supercell games including Clash of clans, Brawl Stars, Clash royal
As I rremember Fruit Ninja was already released in PS Vita and PSVR. Jetpck Joyride was released in PS4 and PS Vita. You don't need PUBG and CoD mobile in PS having the normal ones which are the same but better.

I don't know what BTD6 is. Regarding Supercell, it's true that seems weird to don't see their games on PC and console. I have to ask them. I did work with some of their bosses before Supercell, and I back then I remember that back then to make a console version of one of the hits they did back then -before Supercell- was a total pain in the ass. So probably they stayed away from console because of that, and because they are more than happy in mobile.

But nowadays they have all the money in the world, Tencent backing them who could find them some of their teams to make a console+PC port, the barriers to make console games are way lower (but still higher than in mobile) and porting is a low easier with all the current game engines (as I remember they use Unity, like most mobile gamedevs) and there are tons of porting studios.

Instead Sony is focus on diluting the PS platform & storefront which will lead in developers skipping PS & solely focusing on PC since it has Xbox, PS & PC games in 1 platform & Nintendo & mobile platform just like developers aren’t focus on the Xbox why would you create a game for Xbox when there platform is diluted & there might not be here in the next 5-10 years w a niche platform base
Not true, PS platform is growing and performing better than ever in most if not all their metrics/areas.

And every year they have more games not available in PC than the previous one, because every year they release more PS only games (even if temporal exclusives) than PC ports of old PS games.

PS5 already has over 3000 games. As reference, PS4 is the PS console with the biggest amount of games and had over 4000 when PS5 was released. Meaning, PS5 is going to be the PS console with the biggest amount of games even before releasing the PS6.

Reactions: kuzon

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That's what I don't understand from Mibu or Yuri. They keep repeating the big money is made by selling software but we have the numbers and publishers are not these rich moneymakers. Even big publishers like EA, Take 2 or Ubisoft are struggling. One flop and they are in the red. Their revenue is tiny compared with platform holders like Sony, Nintendo or Apple. Activision was the biggest and it's nothing compared with Sony.

We are supposed to believe Sony becoming a third-party publisher on PC is this big accomplishment 🤡

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
This is a lie. They are very different and have very different results. And you know it.

Regarding announcements, regarding State of Plays this year so far they only had one focused on stuff coming to the half of the year or so, most 3rd party (ZZZ, Silent Hill The Short message, Metro Awakening VR, etc) where they shown already announced first party stuff like Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Death Stranding 2, but also announced the Until Dawn remake and Physint. Plus they also had previously already announced stuff for this year (TLOU2R, MLB, Final Shape, Concord, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside for first party, FFVIIR, SH2, Granblue Fantasy Relink, Little Devil Inside, etc).

In their late May/June update very likely they'll focus mostly on sfuff to be releated during the rest of the 2024 and 2025, with maybe an exception or two teasing stuff that would be released later.

Other than that, as I remember they only shown DLC (GT7, Helldivers 2, Destiny 2, FFXVI..) and regarding PC specific ports announcements, there's only has been GoT.

Like all games it's made in PC but we know that no, won't be released on PC day one.

Regarding 1st party games, to get the "70%" of "$3B" is more money than to get the 100% of "50M".

Regarding their platform yes, their biggest revenue source is the 30% cut they get from 3rd party content and to have their own store to avoid paying the 30% of their 1st party content. Make sure they'll make the PC PSN store and (once forced in Android and iOS by the court/regulators) mobile PSN store. But before doing the store they need a proper library of games for these platforms and a fanbase there.

And yes, the PlayStation ecosystem will alway have exclusive content. As an example, if you want to buy right now Locoroco Remastered, Bloodborne or Spider-Man 2 you can only make it in a single place. And every year grows, because the amount of pc ports of old games is smaller than the PS/console only releases, so the number will keep growing.

Regarding portability, the differences between PC, console and mobile keep getting smaller and smaller. Specially for most players when watched on a tv at a distance unless you're watching a digital foundry comparision, or vs watching it in a small display where less detail isn't that noticiable. It will become more and more common to see games released in console+PC+mobile natively.

And well, there's the cloud too. Nowadays having a good connection relatively close to a server the difference 99% of the time versus playing natively in PS+ isn't noticiable for most players.

And well, related technologies will continue improving, making the difference with playing natively even smaller: data compression, internet package distibution improved by AI, 6G/7G/etc, increased fiber coverage, more servers open across the world, image reconstruction and supersampling + framerate improved by AI, internet packet loss reduced and recovery improved, faster servers with reduced latency, next generaitons of wifi and bluetooth, etc. In 5 and specially 10 years from now the streaming technology will be miles better than now. I mean, look at PS cloud gaming today vs when PS Now was released 10 years ago.
Streaming does indeed allow for control of the eco system ala Netflix, Disney etc. But for a platform holder it still needs to be tied to a hardware platform to set the baseline. Play your PS5 game on your PS5 -or- wherever you like via cloud. But it should never devolve to open standards if a semblance of generations, expected function and quality is to be maintained for the great unwashed. And clearly streaming to PC does not corelate to selling games on a PC.

And yes, exclusive content continues to be important to Sony - but they are diluting it making it less potent. And the rhetoric coming from MS seems to be a complete breakdown of the model - perfectly fine for a publisher, but it cannot work for a platform holder with 30% interest in sales.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Streaming does indeed allow for control of the eco system ala Netflix, Disney etc. But for a platform holder it still needs to be tied to a hardware platform to set the baseline.
All the streaming apps like Netflix, HBO, Twitch, Youtube, Spotify etc. and also the gaming ones don't need a specific hardware. The ones in the servers from PS Now and Xbox evolved over time, as did Stadia and I assume Luna too.

Regarding the player, only needs a decent internet connection and maybe a web browser plus a compatible controller, plus enough horsepower to run something similar to youtube.

Play your PS5 game on your PS5 -or- wherever you like via cloud. But it should never devolve to open standards if a semblance of generations, expected function and quality is to be maintained for the great unwashed. And clearly streaming to PC does not corelate to selling games on a PC.

And yes, exclusive content continues to be important to Sony - but they are diluting it making it less potent. And the rhetoric coming from MS seems to be a complete breakdown of the model - perfectly fine for a publisher, but it cannot work for a platform holder with 30% interest in sales.
Less potent? Sony broke their own sales records with TLOU2 in 2020, GoWR2 in 2022, Spider-Man 2 in 2023 and Helldivers 2 in 2024. Their exclusives continues being the best looking games, with maybe the exception of tthe Cyberpunk 2077 RT in the highest PC GPUs that are themselves more expensive than the console.

Regarding their non-GaaS tittles, they are made for the console by a team, not having to worry about PC. And then there's a separate team who may take the game to make a port 2 or more years after it was released in PS.

Regarding the 30%, Sony or Nintendo make more than enough money with their own (and main) platform, so the money they make in the other ones is an extra. Having as a extra of the 70% (or 80%, or whatever the cut they get in each platform) of sales made in other places is better than no extra.

In the same way than for the movies or music for them is better to have them everywhere getting money from all places than only on their own platform.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The thing is at this point console aren’t the cheaper option 💀 it’s not just $500 for the console

PS console $500 per 6-7 years
PS online subscription $80 per year & could go higher in the future
PS first party $70 & could go higher in the future
Yes, console is the cheaper option. Online sub is only for non-F2P MP games, and first party games get discounted and price cutted a lot, like the 3rd party games.

In fact they are also included in PS+ Extra, you can get a month to play previous ones if desired.

PS console having a limited library missing Xbox games, missing PC games, missing Steam games, missing cheap subscription like gamepass that can be exploited, missing emulation library, missing mobile games
Gamepass is more expensive than PS+, has less games and the average MC score is way lower than PS+.

Regarging Xbox games there's only a few you may miss them, and aparently are coming to PS. Regarding Steam/PC, there may be some rare case of some indie or AAA game that doesn't have console version: you can go to play it there while keeping PS as your main gaming platform. But in most cases people don't miss such games and they only play on PS or maybe a phone or Switch as secondary portable device.

And well, if Sony wants they could -I assume they'll do it for the PS Portal successor, which I bet will be a Steamdeck equivalent PC handheld- bring back the OtherOS feautre to allow people install other operative systems there. So you could install Windows, or some Linux like SteamOS to play there emulators and games from other stores.

There’s really no upside for PS console which can be the reason Xbox is trying make a more open platform similar to PC w now PS dropping there walls Xbox could get PS games on there hardware now.
Xbox will never get Sony games, unles their next console is a PC with Windows and includes Steam or Sony's store. Sony's games won't be on MS's store.

PC might be more expensive upfront but long term save hundreds of not thousands
No, unless you pirate the games.

cheap subscription like gamepass that can be exploited,
Gamepass is more expensive than PS+ and can't be exploited anymore.

no online subscription, emulation library. & if not a $1000 PC you can get into the PC ecosystem w the Steamdeck 2 for $500 same price as a console. All this can last for a minimum of 10-20 years
No, PCs can't last 10 years unless you upgrade them, because its specs get outdated for the newest games. In a few years you can't play them with same quality than in console, and a few years later more your hardware isn't even supported.

Buying a PS at launch you know it will be supported for 11-12 years with new games running well there.

If you have a platform you either have permanent exclusive games or not & go full 3rd party there isn’t this well we have exclusive games for 1 year before they go to direct platform. PS has a platform it’s there duty to have permanent exclusive games or get rid of there platform just like Xbox. Console players pay for online subscription as a way to “support” the close wall garden but if those wall gardens are drop then why would a console consumer continue to pay something other platforms don’t pay & just migrate to wherever has all the games, play best & for a much cheaper price.
There was a couple surveys about the reasons for getting PS+ (before its merge with PS Now) and the first one by far was the game, followed by the discounts and online MP for non-F2P games.

The most played and best selling games in PC, PS, Xbox, iOS and Android are multiplatform games. Exclusives are important because they are the main selling point to choose a console vs another one, but aren't that important because most players don't buy them.

PC & Mobile don’t charge for online even Steam & Apple who have close gardens don’t charge a online subscription it’s a no brainer a reason Xbox gamers entirely migrated to PC over stating or continuing investing in Xbox console
I know, but people still prefers to play on PS. Including MP, because they consider the game sub is worth it because it does include other things people like and want like games, extrar discounts, cloud saves etc.

Reactions: panda-zebra

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
That's what I don't understand from Mibu or Yuri. They keep repeating the big money is made by selling software but we have the numbers and publishers are not these rich moneymakers. Even big publishers like EA, Take 2 or Ubisoft are struggling. One flop and they are in the red. Their revenue is tiny compared with platform holders like Sony, Nintendo or Apple. Activision was the biggest and it's nothing compared with Sony.

We are supposed to believe Sony becoming a third-party publisher on PC is this big accomplishment 🤡
There are small minded people out there who just can't see the bigger picture. McDonalds could license their big macs to Burger King and Carl's Jr., and they'd make money every time someone bought one there, or from the license, for sure. These people see extra dollars without realising that now, McDonalds won't get to sell you that coke and fries combo. Big Mac fans can just get it elsewhere and they'll get the combo items there, too. Do you know how much Coke 'pays' McDonalds to be the drink provider of choice? Suddenly that deal is a lot less lucrative because there's less foot traffic at every McDonalds that's near a BK or CJ. Coke gets in front of fewer people and McDonalds gets less money there, too. BK and CJ don't have the same level of consistency when creating a Big Mac as McDonalds, so the brand reputation suffers. But hey, burger sales are up this quarter!

(I picked this analogy because I feel like the crowd who thinks Sony porting to PC is a smart idea probably chows down on 15x big macs a week and are fused to their couches, because they sure as shit haven't seen the real world for a while and don't understand business.)

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

@mibu no ookami is Yurinka 2.0, types a bunch of bs, and then writes a conclusion that has nothing to do with the long paragraph he just wrote 🤣 And never admits he’s wrong

They’ll never acknowledge the facf that PC is still barely 1% of Sonys revenue (30 billion vs 300m). But they’ll act as if PC is 40% and Sony needs to go even harder on PC to “secure their future” 🤦‍♂️

Imagine bending over backwards and risking your platforms health for that measly 1%, Sony and the pro PC port peons are all braindead.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
@mibu no ookami is Yurinka 2.0, types a bunch of bs, and then writes a conclusion that has nothing to do with the long paragraph he just wrote 🤣 And never admits he’s wrong

They’ll never acknowledge the facf that PC is still barely 1% of Sonys revenue (30 billion vs 300m). But they’ll act as if PC is 40% and Sony needs to go even harder on PC to “secure their future” 🤦‍♂️

Imagine bending over backwards and risking your platforms health for that measly 1%, Sony and the pro PC port peons are all braindead.

You realize this is a complete straw man, right?

No one said that PC was 40% of Sony's business. You continue to miss the point because you're blinded as a fanboy rather than seeing the business side of things.

Sony's PC business is high margin. Their console business is low margin. The company makes a ton of revenue but their margins are entirely too small, and they need to look for ways to bring in more cash flow on a consistent basis.

PC is a great avenue to bring in pure operating profit on a continued basis, making Nixxes an absolutely amazing purchase.

This idea that they're risking the platforms health is laughable, because as we've said a million times now, the PS5 is selling faster than the PS4.

The only ones upset about the PC ports are a handful of fanboys who somehow feel slighted that their games aren't exclusive anymore, but it's had no real impact on console sales. Sony is more than willing to eschew a few butthurt fanboys to make millions of dollars in profit on PC, hence why they continue to double down on PC.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony's PC business is high margin. Their console business is low margin. The company makes a ton of revenue but their margins are entirely too small, and they need to look for ways to bring in more cash flow on a consistent basis
The "PC business" only looks high margin because only the console version takes the brunt of development costs. 1-2m sales on Sony 1st party games that are on deep discounts and that Steam takes a cut of will always be awful. If you think making an extra 30m on a game that has generated over 1 billion in revenue is good, then you're disingenuous, which we all already knew. Especially when you lose the ability to market it as an exclusive, as Sony has, which is why this generations marketing has been abysmal....

PC is a great avenue to bring in pure operating profit on a continued basis, making Nixxes an absolutely amazing purchase.
😂😂 Until you realize they make more money in 1 week from the PSN than 10 pc ports combined do in a year. Nixxes was a horrible acquisition, no one arguing in good faith can still say that was a good purchase in 2024 when we've seen how badly these games have bombed. And how those resources could've been allocated better to literally anything else, that would generate 10x more money. A remastered collection of Ratchet and Clank, Infamous, or Sly Cooper, would make 10x more money than every PC port ever has, while making the platform stronger, not weaker.

Spider-Man 2 unofficial PC port shows how useless Nixxes really is. And that the 1st party studios are doing most of the PC leg work. A ton of extra work for pennies.....

This idea that they're risking the platforms health is laughable, because as we've said a million times now, the PS5 is selling faster than the PS4.
It's not selling faster, its selling about as well as the PS4 did. And i'm sure when Sony came off of their best generation yet, their thoughts were "I hope we do as well as we did last gen!!" The PS5 is missing their targets for a reason, and it's because PC is getting more support than the console, and even casuals are starting to notice. PC has not only affected console sales, but it's even affecting 1st party game output.

Sony - Don't expect any big games from existing franchises this year, we also haven't had a new single player game announcement since 2021 btw
Also Sony - We have 5 PC ports slated for this year
@mibu no ookami - "This idea that they're risking the platforms health is laughable"

What a goofball

The only ones upset about the PC ports are a handful of fanboys who somehow feel slighted that their games aren't exclusive anymore, but it's had no real impact on console sales. Sony is more than willing to eschew a few butthurt fanboys to make millions of dollars in profit on PC, hence why they continue to double down on PC.
How to downplay truth because you know you have no proper response to any legitimate criticisms. Accuse them of being a fanboy and continuing spewing corporate slave talking points. "No real impact on console sales", as they have to lower their targets 😂 right.

Reactions: kuzon