Former PlayStation head says we need to "get this platform war thing out of the way" and "get down to one standard home console"

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
"We're talking about ray tracing differentials and most of us [don’t have good enough TVs] so can't see the ray tracing anyway," Layden continued. "Xbox, PlayStation, high-end PC, that's almost at a plateau where all things being equal, they're pretty much the same. We'd be in a better world if we could get down to one standard home console technology that we could come together, and get this platform war thing out of the way," the former PlayStation head added.

Elsewhere in the panel, Layden states he believes that gaming consoles are struggling, but this isn't anything new. "If you look at the history of consoles, the global install base in any one of those generations never rose above 250 million. There was that one point when Wii came out, and thanks to Wii Fit, an extra 20 million units were sold because everyone thought they could lose weight. But that wasn't sustainable and came crashing down and we're still in that 250 million overall install base of active consoles," he said.

"During the pandemic, revenue rose by 20 or 25%, but we were still getting more money from the same people. It wasn't necessarily bringing new people into the console gaming world. That's the existential threat to gaming right now," Layden adds. Layden's line of thinking here follows a common belief that companies effectively 'over-hired' during the pandemic, which is why we're now seeing mass layoffs across the industry when the revenue gained during the pandemic didn't sustain itself afterward.

PlayStation, for its part, laid off hundreds of developers earlier this year, canceled several unannounced games, and even shuttered its London-based studio entirely. A PlayStation-partnered studio from former Black Ops developers also closed, having previously stated that a partnership from Sony would bring "complete financial security."

Gamesradar

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Holy sh*t he is a much bigger psychopath than Jim Ryan. Imagine the horror he would hsve done if he was still in charge for PlayStation. ☠️

Reactions: Amin_Parker

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
It's right though. There's only room for one home co sole at he high end.

To support a successful gaming industry, everyone needs to support the console and make it desirable, even Microsoft has to put their weight behind a PlayStation console as it benefits their future as a publisher too.

I do think console and game prices need to come down a bit to promote sales and expand the day 1 audience though.

Gaming was always meant to be an adorable hobby.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
It's right though. There's only room for one home co sole at he high end.

To support a successful gaming industry, everyone needs to support the console and make it desirable, even Microsoft has to put their weight behind a PlayStation console as it benefits their future as a publisher too.

I do think console and game prices need to come down a bit to promote sales and expand the day 1 audience though.

Gaming was always meant to be an adorable hobby.
He's not right though, Xbox 360 83m, PS3 88m, Wii 115m- PS4 117M, Switch 140m. There's plenty room for multiple high end consoles, and the more they compete with each other, the better it is for consumers.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
He's not right though, Xbox 360 83m, PS3 88m, Wii 115m- PS4 117M, Switch 140m. There's plenty room for multiple high end consoles, and the more they compete with each other, the better it is for consumers.
Your numbers are off. He specifically knocks 20 million Wiis off his count because of Wii Fit (not a good call, IMO, but he does do it) and when combined with RRoD and YLoD you have under 250 million and then for last gen you need to knock 60+ million off the Switch since those sales took place after PS5 came out.

24 Jun 2022
So he's basically advocating for a 3DO-style model. Well then, who ends up controlling the specification? Is it a consortium where all members have equal power? Or will it end up being one member who just ends up with a disproportionate amount?

Considering Microsoft would be involved in this, they would obviously be that member with a larger portion of the pie in such a consortium. They have the OS (Windows), they have the SDK (DX12U), they have the APIs for both, they have the middleware, and they have the most vested interests spread out among the different gaming platform types. There's already the rumors of the next Xbox being Windows-style gaming devices...is Layden hinting more towards that?

Better question might be, is Sony trying to conform to that same future for PlayStation systems? There's a lot of circumstantial evidence to suggest they are; the volume of their PC ports, pushing for PC compatibility of their devices, etc. And what's more, all of this is mainly WRT Windows; nothing for Linux or BSD on the PC side from them. PC gamers would have to rely on Valve for that (Linux, via SteamOS).

I think the craziest thing that could happen for next gen is that the PS6 is basically a variant of some gaming spec Microsoft & others (including Sony) come to an agreement on. So that somehow, it's a PS6 with Sony's branding and whatnot, but otherwise is running a modified Windows or Xbox OS kernel, and using some variant of DX12U APIs (in lieu of or alongside in-house ones). As insane as it may sound, there is not a non-zero chance of it happening, especially if Sony & Microsoft could strike a deal on handling costs for hardware manufacturing. Just think of it as a more aggressive version of the Windows CE stuff MS did with SEGA on the Dreamcast.

How would I feel about it? I don't have an opinion either way. My issues with SIE/PlayStation current-day are far removed from anything to do with the main console hardware. Things like them seemingly scaling back on VR investments, for example. Or their PC & multiplatform strategy that will probably just become more prominent with time, not less.

...BTW I don't think Nintendo would get involved in anything like this. At least not for a couple more generations. In fact at this point I'm expecting them to be the ones who finally make VR (specifically MR) a big mainstream success, but probably with the Switch 2's successor so, many years away.

I think only after that, only after they've explored the limits of immersive play through their own initiatives fully, would they finally join such a hypothetical consortium. But we're talking like 20 years from now, maybe even longer. Because by then I think the limits of I/O innovation for game design would probably be tapped and fully realized. The visual fidelity limits will be reached much sooner, which is one of the reasons Sony'd probably join such a hypothetical consortium far sooner than the likes of a Nintendo.

Reactions: Amin_Parker

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
So this is the type of dude Sony chose to lead their studios for many years? A guy averse to the concept of multiple consoles? No wonder they are giving up and acting like consoles have no future.

Nintendo will welcome the oportunity to have the only console.

His argument doesnt even make sense, if consoles have done fine with less rhan 250m for so long why should they go away? Specially now that Xbox is dead.

Reactions: JAHGamer and kuzon
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
So this is the type of dude Sony chose to lead their studios for many years? A guy averse to the concept of multiple consoles? No wonder they are giving up and acting like consoles have no future.

Nintendo will welcome the oportunity to have the only console.

His argument doesnt even make sense, if consoles have done fine with less rhan 250m for so long why should they go away? Specially now that Xbox is dead.
Maybe he got a bag from a trillion-dollar corporation somewhere in Redmond...

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Your numbers are off. He specifically knocks 20 million Wiis off his count because of Wii Fit (not a good call, IMO, but he does do it) and when combined with RRoD and YLoD you have under 250 million and then for last gen you need to knock 60+ million off the Switch since those sales took place after PS5 came out.

The mental gymnastics fanboys go through.....

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
PC = Healthy market
PlayStation = Healthy market
Xbox =
images

The market is actively distancing itself from the Xbox family of consoles. Why are we still pretending that there's a console war?

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Time to stop blaming MS for everything, Xbox is dead.
Xbox is not dead yet. As long Microsoft produces Consoles and developers offering games on it, they are not out. Microsoft did such things in the past. For example they bribed a lot of publications and forums to speak in favour of the ABK deal. There is no use to pretend this didn't happen.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
While I don't agree with this sentiments here at all. I do find it a bit weird how people in this thread are trying to act like Shawn wasn't a good Chairman of PlayStation studios during her tenure at PlayStation.

He makes a lot of sense most times however this just isn't one of those times.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Xbox is not dead yet. As long Microsoft produces Consoles and developers offering games on it, they are not out. Microsoft did such things in the past. For example they bribed a lot of publications and forums to speak in favour of the ABK deal. There is no use to pretend this didn't happen.
They've opened Pandora's box. They can't walk back a multiplatform strategy because that means a massive decline in revenue which they can't afford with their operating costs

• brain
Reactions: Ezekiel