Former PlayStation head says we need to "get this platform war thing out of the way" and "get down to one standard home console"

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
While I don't agree with this sentiments here at all. I do find it a bit weird how people in this thread are trying to act like Shawn wasn't a good Chairman of PlayStation studios during her tenure at PlayStation.

He makes a lot of sense most times however this just isn't one of those times.
Becouse he was not a good chairman.

He made tons of mistakes, that PlayStation still pays for.
He was the phil spencer of PlayStation, but he just was not given a green card to do anything he wanted. Thankfully.

There is a reason they kicked him out.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Becouse he was not a good chairman.

He made tons of mistakes, that PlayStation still pays for.
He was the phil spencer of PlayStation, but he just was not given a green card to do anything he wanted. Thankfully.

There is a reason they kicked him out.
what Mistakes did he make that Playstation is still paying for?
and did they fire him because he and Jim Ryan were butting heads for power :unsure:

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
my suspicion since the 360 era was that this industry can't sustain an Xbox and Playstation. becuaue it arelady couldn't sustain a Nintendo (in the home console segment)

so yeah. Shawn is right. Xbox should go away ASAP

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The one console future is highly desirable. One standard set of specs for developers to target. But not via a 3DO model - one manufacturer and multiple form factors. It's better for consumers because the competition becomes all about who makes the better games than who tries to deprive whom of formerly multiplatform games by purchasing massive third party publishers with ill-gotten money earned outside of the industry.

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
By "one console future" they mean the pc, they just aren't saying it openly because they know people will give them shit for it. All of these bigbrains that run games companies want the same thing, not to have to make subsidized hardware and to be able to sell games to everyone. They don't want to put in the effort in hardware and in the process they will hand over the entirety of gaming to Gabe Newell's sausage fingers.

Thank God this bozo is out of Sony but I really worry that from the people that are still there only Mark Cerny loves consoles and wants to make really awesome ones. The other bean counters would cancel hardware entirely if it made the stock price increase by a few dollars.

Vergil

19 Jun 2024
Xbox needs to stop making consoles because they are embarrassing themselves and the xbots need to realize that Xbox is a complete failure

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
By "one console future" they mean the pc, they just aren't saying it openly because they know people will give them shit for it. All of these bigbrains that run games companies want the same thing, not to have to make subsidized hardware and to be able to sell games to everyone. They don't want to put in the effort in hardware and in the process they will hand over the entirety of gaming to Gabe Newell's sausage fingers.
You're spot on and it's this line of thinking from the execs that have forced the execs into this line of reasoning.

If they're admitting they can't sustain the big 3, then what went wrong? Where did the customer base go?

If gaming is growing YoY, why the hell are Sony and Microsoft struggling to sell consoles...hmm, it's a real head scratcher this one.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
While I don't agree with this sentiments here at all. I do find it a bit weird how people in this thread are trying to act like Shawn wasn't a good Chairman of PlayStation studios during her tenure at PlayStation.

He makes a lot of sense most times however this just isn't one of those times.
It’s not that he wasn’t good. It’s just that some on Icon Era likes to treat him like he was a messiah. Many people here blow him, while treating Jim Ryan like he was some devil.

Reactions: Neversummer

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I dont know what he means. But Im gonna pretend I do.

There can be only one….Playstation…… ( And a Nintendo machine too lol )

No need for Xbox and others tbh, they brought shite all since Xbox came about but a bunch of media shills and crazy fanboys

Reactions: Diah

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

Thank God this bozo is out of Sony but I really worry that from the people that are still there only Mark Cerny loves consoles and wants to make really awesome ones. The other bean counters would cancel hardware entirely if it made the stock price increase by a few dollars.
Yoshida loves consoles too.

Reactions: Evil Aloy

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Beyond retarded for so many reasons it's not worth going into.

Good luck telling Nintendo to leave the market so that Sony can own it.
Sony does own the Home Console market. They basically got 3rd parties on lock. They get the biggest sales and cuts on 3rd party games. Wether people want to admit it or not. The Switch is a handheld.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Sony does own the Home Console market. They basically got 3rd parties on lock. They get the biggest sales and cuts on 3rd party games. Wether people want to admit it or not. The Switch is a handheld.
I agree and doubly agree that the switch is a handheld. Having no competition has never benefited the customer, not once.

Having only one place to play, a place that will no doubt be digital, or worse, streaming, only. The execs and bean counters get hard at that thought for funnelling everyone to one piece of hardware, one choice of distribution and one store front. They would have ultimate control to set the price of games.

Imagine Microsoft being given free reign to charge what they want, or EA to make what they want or Ubislop to remove games from store fronts when they want.

FIFA, cod and BF would last 14 months per game, before being shelves and replaced with a mandatory force upgrade.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Yuh if Shawn Laden was still heading PS they would be day n date on PC & Nintendo. Ultimately with this mindset the one who bends the knee looses. Unless all platform existing & future agree to port games to all platform there would be no negative outside developers who prefer to publish game on a specific storefront immediately it would make other platforms/storefront redundant.

Which is why going 3rd party or even publishing first party games to other platform especially direct competitor self inflicting cannibalization.

Reactions: Diah