Fortnite - first title to use UE 5.1

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Is this running at 4k 60fps on current gen consoles? Because if it is, it's a clear example that Lumen and Nanite are not that heavy that the consoles can't run them properly

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Is this running at 4k 60fps on current gen consoles? Because if it is, it's a clear example that Lumen and Nanite are not that heavy that the consoles can't run them properly

You don’t need to feature the full suite of upgrades.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You don’t need to feature the full suite of upgrades.

But current gen consoles do feature them, hence my question

Unreal Engine 5 ushers in a generational leap in visual fidelity, bringing an unprecedented level of detail to game worlds like the Battle Royale Island. Next-gen Unreal Engine 5 features such as Nanite, Lumen, Virtual Shadow Maps, and Temporal Super Resolution are now available in Fortnite Battle Royale on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PC, and cloud gaming!

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

The idea of UE5 is to make it scalable to the point it can be included in PS4/XBO/Switch/lower end PCs in the way that some techniques can be disabled or toned down and other ones have 'UE4 old generation like' alternatives.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The idea of UE5 is to make it scalable to the point it can be included in PS4/XBO/Switch/lower end PCs in the way that some techniques can be disabled or toned down and other ones have 'UE4 old generation like' alternatives.

I'm aware of that, but that still doesn't answer my question.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

Right I get that they say they’re featuring all this new tech but to what degree. Would have to watch some kind of analysis I guess?

I’m still under the impression that proper ray tracing use on console will be subtle to say the least.

You wouldn’t tank Fortnite’s frame rate on console. It would make it run in worse state. There’s no way they’d do that.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Right I get that they say they’re featuring all this new tech but to what degree. Would have to watch some kind of analysis I guess?

I’m still under the impression that proper ray tracing use on console will be subtle to say the least.

You wouldn’t tank Fortnite’s frame rate on console. It would make it run in worse state. There’s no way they’d do that.

I found it. It's 4k60 and seems to include everything

Let's not forget that Epic stated the Unreal 5 demo could run at 60fps 1440p on a PS5 with more optimization, so it seems like these features are a "generational leap" on how much they cost. Even a gtx1060 is able to run this at 1080p30 ~ in High settings. That GPU is a toaster for today's standards

24 Jun 2022

Will fire it up. Lumen at 60fps on next Gen is a lock!

Eh, TBF this is Fortnite. Not that much a step above Minecraft in terms of visual complexity. I do hope 60 FPS with Lumen on consoles is a thing though, and we can start seeing it with non open-world games first.

Tekken 8's rumored to be at the TGAs and is being made on UE5, could be a first demonstration in a major game that isn't cross-gen.

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
hopefully this is a sign of things to come, we can get raytracing like lighting without... yknow, the raytracing performance LOL

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Eh, TBF this is Fortnite. Not that much a step above Minecraft in terms of visual complexity. I do hope 60 FPS with Lumen on consoles is a thing though, and we can start seeing it with non open-world games first.

Tekken 8's rumored to be at the TGAs and is being made on UE5, could be a first demonstration in a major game that isn't cross-gen.
It’s using Nanite now for geometry, but with the old geometry models. Expecting those to be upgraded over time for marked increase in complexity.