From 2017-2023, the console games market has grown +59%. PC only +37%; has shrunk since 2022

OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It's interesting that the console market is so much larger than PC given the user disparity, but even more interesting is that these stats reveal the spend per user is even greater for console players. PC has 40%(!!!!) more players but can only muster up 3/4ths of the revenue.

RPU:
PC: $46
Console: $85

Console players spend almost twice as much per user!

Great report, PC is dead.

Edit: these are 2023 numbers, and it's just game sales. Add in peripherals etc. and you can see why the console battle was the one to win. Xbox must be kicking themselves to have crashed out as hard as they did.

Last edited:

enpleinjour

Icon Extra
24 Mar 2023
Yes, the rest of the world would be $18.7B. But China and KR are addresable by foreigners. I worked in many western games published in local storefronts.

And well, even in western storefronts it's noticiable: in Steam an example looking at Language usage in Steam, Traditional+Simplified Chinese+Korean are 36.38% combined.

China and SK are monopolised by Tencent, NetEase and SK firms. Anyone with basic knowledge would know this.
Steam is not a gotcha. Steams revenue is estimated as $7B globally of which a fraction is China. China revenue is miniscule to the entire Chinese market of $14B.

Sure Playstation, Nintendo and Valve are growing there but one look at Tencent/NetEase etc's revenue will tell you.
So addressable market for most AAA/AA pubs becomes:

$35B console
$19B PC

Gets even worse when you take out MMOs and Moba or if console game download subs were added.

No, they all 3 only report their cuts, because they are reporting their sales/revenue made there by their company. The cut for the 3rd parties are counted as sales/revenue of these other companies.

Completely wrong. You didn't even read the FY reports.
Imagine thinking Playstation with $13B is only PS's cut.

By that insane logic, PS's market alone is $43B

I can't spot they are wrong because they aren't wrong as shown in the links or screencaps I provided (outside some typo I may have). Which show the numbers in yen, not in USD.

Your yen/USD rates are entirely wrong because you did not use the one Sony provided.

This is like your 4th mistake which you attempt to reflect on to others.

The estimation of each market analysis firm is different because they have different data sources available, use different methodologies and include different things in different reports.

As I shown, even each firm reports them in different ways something including some things and in other times reporting other things, resulting in different numbers. Even depending on which part of the year they make the estimate for the same report from the same firm the numbers are different.

We don't need to use bogus firms whose estimates have been easily disproven like Peltham. We have real data from publishers and all console platforms.

These are not the 5 biggest pubs in gaming.

In the AAA/AA gaming space, making the AAA game releases or GaaS, yes they are. Riot is primarily Moba and Valve's only contribution bar Moba is CSGO which per Epic is estimated as ~$400M

Valve 1P revenue estimated as $1.5B per Epic and Riot is likely the same $1.5-2B ballpark.
Nintendo alone is bigger than both combined.

It gets even more lopsided to consoles when you add in 1st P on top of (EA, T2, Activision, Ubi, Epic) = 70-80% rev on consoles:

Nintendo - ~$4.5B
Sony - ~$2.5-3B
Xbox - ~$0.7B

Why is your argument that the markets are comparable predicated on removing a bunch of segments from the console market and leaving PC numbers intact?

Is there no PC gaming hardware?
No gaming subscription on PC? Your second chart literally calls out that PC growth is due to subscription-based gaming.
What kind of software contributes to PC software revenue?
It's clear that it's not traditional AAA gaming given @enpleinjour's stats on the split for the 5 major publishers.

People, including you, seem to be conflating Steam growth with PC growth. Engagement means nothing, so the CCU counts are deceptive and meaningless, and it's more likely that Steam has consolidated market share from failed launchers (EA origin, battlenet) than the market itself has grown, considering all stats point to a decline from 2022-2023.

Twisting the numbers to paint a picture. Without China/SK, most pubs this is the reality:

$35B console
$19B PC

You take out MMOs ($2B+), Moba's ($1-2B), which AAA/AA makers obviously are not part of and PC is lower by multiple billions further.

Screenshot_2024-03-26_at_00.50.11.png

Per Epic, PS brings in ~50% of Fortnites Revenue, PC was 27%, even though PC has almost the same number of accounts.
Same with metrics like Steam account CCU.

On PC a client running in the background or a bot is counted as a CCU. PC fans always wrongly attributre CCU as players/sales which is why Steam has a similar MAU to PS yet only makes half the money.

Steam has considerable bots

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
China and SK are monopolised by Tencent, NetEase and SK firms. Anyone with basic knowledge would know this.
Steam is not a gotcha. Steams revenue is estimated as $7B globally of which a fraction is China. China revenue is miniscule to the entire Chinese market of $14B.

Sure Playstation, Nintendo and Valve are growing there but one look at Tencent/NetEase etc's revenue will tell you.

$35B console
$19B PC

Gets even worse when you take out MMOs and Moba or if console game download subs were added.

Your yen/USD rates are entirely wrong because you did not use the one Sony provided.

We don't need to use bogus firms whose estimates have been easily disproven like Peltham. We have real data from publishers and all console platforms.

In the AAA/AA gaming space, making the AAA game releases or GaaS, yes they are. Riot is primarily Moba and Valve's only contribution bar Moba is CSGO which per Epic is estimated as ~$400M

Valve 1P revenue estimated as $1.5B per Epic and Riot is likely the same $1.5-2B ballpark.

It gets even more lopsided to consoles when you add in 1st P on top of (EA, T2, Activision, Ubi, Epic) = 70-80% rev on consoles:

Nintendo - ~$4.5B
Sony - ~$2.5-3B
Xbox - ~$0.7B

Twisting the numbers to paint a picture. Without China/SK, most pubs this is the reality:

$35B console
$19B PC

You take out MMOs ($2B+), Moba's ($1-2B), which AAA/AA makers obviously are not part of and PC is lower by multiple billions further.

Per Epic, PS brings in ~50% of Fortnites Revenue, PC was 27%, even though PC has almost the same number of accounts.

On PC a client running in the background or a bot is counted as a CCU. PC fans always wrongly attributre CCU as players/sales which is why Steam has a similar MAU to PS yet only makes half the money.

Steam has considerable bots
Enpleinjour with the total eclipse of the PC priests and their made-up stats 🥵

Love And Hip Hop Reaction GIF by I'm So Jonathan

@Yurinka is the one in the red dress. Looking nervous like she shat her pants.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Not true, there are foreigner games released there, I worked in some of them. There are even consoles being sold there, even if they are there a small market compared to PC and specially mobile.

Steam is not a gotcha. Steams revenue is estimated as $7B globally of which a fraction is China.
Totally fake made up number. Show the receipts.

Yes, they obviously are there the market leaders in China, specially Tencent because of the the control of the platforms and game released, also controlling the main social media and local ads companies etc.

But even considering this, China is still one of the biggest countries for non-Chinese platforms and publishers, including Sony or Steam as one of them.

$35B console
$19B PC
Made out numbers out of your ass.

I've been reading them every quarter since many years ago.

This is a fake number. I posted the real Sony number that Sony made from their console here. I also posted the console market revenue estimates from multiple market analysis firms measured in different different posts (around $40B in game revenue, around $55B when adding game subs etc).

Not sure if I also posted it in this thread, but one of the graphs Sony mentions that their console has around 45% of the console market share. And a 45% of around $40B or $55B isn't $13B or the money made by Sony that year, because Sony only reports the revenue of their own company, in case of 3rd party games their cut, not the revunue of hundreds of companies who publish games there.

We don't need to use bogus firms whose estimates have been easily disproven like Peltham.
Your random internet opinion with made out numbers doesn't disprove anything. Specially the estimates from a professional market analysis firm that got many times quoted by game industry outlets like gamedeveloper.com, gamesindustry.biz, bloomberg, national dev/publishers associations and so on.

We have real data from publishers and all console platforms.
And you miss the real data from thousands of other publishers/developers because they aren't listed there. In fact, the sources they use to show gaming or console market are the ones I provided for several of the ones who share it.

Nintendo - ~$4.5B
Sony - ~$2.5-3B
Xbox - ~$0.7B

$35B console
$19B PC
You are the one who mades ups numbers out of your ass. I provided real numbers from proper sources and posted the receipts.

Here you have updated (as of January) console+PC market data numbers from Newzoo.

You take out MMOs ($2B+), Moba's ($1-2B),
More made out numbers out of your ass.

which AAA/AA makers obviously are not part of and PC is lower by multiple billions further.

Fortnite is very successful, but isn't representative of the other thousands of games available in the different platforms. And these numbers are outdated, don't even include current gen consoles.

Enpleinjour with the total eclipse of the PC priests and their made-up stats 🥵

Love And Hip Hop Reaction GIF by I'm So Jonathan'm So Jonathan

@Yurinka is the one in the red dress. Looking nervous like she shat her pants.
I'm the one posting receipts, he only posted an outdated Fornite table which doesn't say anything about the gaming market, console market or pc market. Similar tables from other companies like Riot, Tencent, MiHoyo, Supercell or CD Projekt, to mention a few random ones, would be totally different.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
But I was told consoles are dying…. In 2006, 2012, 2019 and all through 2023…..
I was also told mobiles, PC and Cloud will replace consoles…

Can these people now stfu now

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
But I was told consoles are dying…. In 2006, 2012, 2019 and all through 2023…..
I was also told mobiles, PC and Cloud will replace consoles…

Can these people now stfu now
this is the same with physical, like forever, especially when Steam fucked all physical media.

Reactions: Kokoloko

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
about physical vs digital

Digital on consoles is TERRIBLE. On steam, I at least have access to files. I can mod, backup, copy, crack, change version. anything.On console? Nothing. No file access, no backuping... no autonomy over my purchase or version.With disc, on ps5 I am at least able to own the game disc, play offline or do not patch if I can't or don't want to. I can play elden ring 1.0 fully offline and it's a very unique (difficult radahn lol) experience.Often 1.0 versions are used for speedrunning.So I do not agree that discs should become deluxe editions only. Disc should be A GOLD STANDARD on consoles.
and one other thing - MARKETPLACE. Steam allows for many key sites and resellers. You never have to buy from steam.
and PSN? nothing. Just psn. At least with discs, I have retailers competing with bonuses and prices.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

mckmas8808

26 Mar 2024
Revelation of the century:

Casuals make up the majority of revenue + playtime!

Incredible, never would've thought of that.

Let's hope Sony & co. immediately throw decades of brand identity down the toilet by appealing to the casual market and make their shareholders happy.

It worked wonderfully for Xbox.

That's what most western video game media members say and truly feel.