From 2017-2023, the console games market has grown +59%. PC only +37%; has shrunk since 2022

24 Jun 2022
The console market also declined after you adjust for inflation. $51.8B on a 6.5% global inflation in 2023 would need to make $55.2B in that year to keep the same effective revenue. Instead it got $53.1B.

Phil lies, a lot, but he's just repeating what many other industry execs have been saying since their yearly 2023 results started coming out in March.

All these layoffs worldwide aren't happening because suddenly all gamedev managers became incompetent. They're happening because the global videogame market finally saw its ceiling and it's not going to improve anytime soon.
They were making games on the assumption that the market would continue to grow, but that assumption is gone. They were making too many games (and too expensive).

I think the takeaway is that even if the console market declined with inflation factored in, it's mainly declined because Xbox itself has rapidly declined over that same period.

Any Nintendo declines during that period could be easily explained by market saturation of their current product? PlayStation? Pandemic shortages limiting supply to match demand during that period. Xbox is the only console that has seen continued declines due to intensifying lack of demand, and that has been dragging down the growth average for the industry that it should be seeing.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
You are so wrong Im not sure why I should bother with you anymore.

PC gaming is not dying regardless how many times you type those words. Maybe you want it to die, but it's growing.
No matter how hard the nuXbots and PCucks try to refute it, the stats are there in the OP. PC gaming is literally shrinking. You might want steam stats to mean something, or for the platform to be growing, but it isn't. Basic math. It's down from last year.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
really?!
Maybe it's laptop covids?
Because pc gaming seems huge and bigger than ever.

I mean... not for me. I prefer playing on console even when game is out on pc. I have great time with Dragons Dogma 2 now on ps5.
But still - discourse online would make you think pc is the only thing that matters

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
No matter how hard the nuXbots and PCucks try to refute it, the stats are there in the OP. PC gaming is literally shrinking. You might want steam stats to mean something, or for the platform to be growing, but it isn't. Basic math. It's down from last year.

So you are a troll whoms answer to everything is "it's in the OP", got it.

OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
really?!
Maybe it's laptop covids?
Because pc gaming seems huge and bigger than ever.

I mean... not for me. I prefer playing on console even when game is out on pc. I have great time with Dragons Dogma 2 now on ps5.
But still - discourse online would make you think pc is the only thing that matters
Which is why it's so important to dispel those myths with threads like these and sycophants like these:
So you are a troll whoms answer to everything is "it's in the OP", got it.
It's like arguing with flat earthers. The facts are that consoles have consistently grown, and much more than PC, and are much larger than PC, and that PC is shrinking as of last year. There's no room for discussion there.

bxrz

30 Aug 2022
Xbox is going down massively and it's bringing down the whole market. It's not Gen-Z fault or whatever Phil shat out that morning.

Playstation is still growing for now...they just have to stop following Xbox playbook.

The price of PC parts also went up record high. Facepalm yourself.
and? steam most played charts are all multiplayer gaas with mtx out the wazzoo

The PC market is actually growing in player base. Steam breaks its own record like every month

Meanwhile the console base hasn’t grown in how long? Since the PS2 gen?

How are you arguing literal facts? Like are yall dumb lmao?

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
The PC market is actually growing in player base. Steam breaks its own record like every month

You act like Steam breaking a record is impressive or means anything. You guys are so disingenuous acting like making a free account with a throw away email is the same as buying a $500 console.

PS has more MAUs than Steam, with a significantly higher barrier of entry. While also regularly making up >80% of sales for AAA games.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

even if the console market declined with inflation factored in

The PS1 was still alive in the PS2 times when the console market did stop considerably growing. Since then it has been growing but not much.

PC and specially mobile instead grew much more in the XXI century, mostly due to GaaS and particularly F2P plus in the case of PC, also Steam.

This graph is about (inflation adjusted) revenue, but in players is somewhat similar, which mobile getting slightly over half of the pie, pretty similar shares per platform and pretty similar growth patterns.

50-Years-of-Video-Game-Revenue-Dec-31.jpg

Note: notice the graph above obviously doesn't include 2023, it's to see the long term evolution across history. Decreases in 2022 and 2023 are mostly due to still going back to normality from the covid bump, plus in case of mobile due to changes on the ads policies, negatively affecting their main user acqiusition source.

The graph under it is January 2024 updated Newzoo estimates (different source than the estimates drawn above), with different inflation.

Global-games-market-revenues-in-2023-per-segment-1536x864.png

Steam is breaking records because big pc storefronts like battlenet are migrating to it because they cant survive on their own.
Steam has been breaking their own records since forever, way before that.

Last edited:

bxrz

30 Aug 2022
You act like Steam breaking a record is impressive or means anything. You guys are so disingenuous acting like making a free account with a throw away email is the same as buying a $500 console.

PS has over 100m more MAUs than Steam, with a significantly higher barrier of entry. While also regularly making up >80% of sales for AAA games.
Steam breaking its own record every month isn’t impressive but the console base not growing in generations is

😂😂😂

OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This graph is about (inflation adjusted) revenue, but in players is somewhat similar, which mobile getting slightly over half of the pie, pretty similar shares per platform and pretty similar growth patterns.

This graph is totally incompatible with logic. At no point in the last however long has PC revenue eclipsed consoles, and certainly not to the point where it would have reached 1.5x the revenue 2 years ago.

Not even you believe that, but you keep trotting it out.

What PC has in userbase is all centred in Asia. China, namely. It's a barely accessible and closely regulated market run by a pack of vicious dictators, making it useless in any discussions regarding the health of the industry.

Console gaming and mobile gaming are the only segments which continue to grow, while PC, as this thread points out, has actually shrunk in the last year.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Steam is breaking records because big pc storefronts like battlenet are migrating to it because they cant survive on their own.

They also probably count people like me as active user, because I have Steam (and the Epic and Prime Games launchers) on autostart, although I never user any of them actively and my last purchase on it is over a decade ago.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
This graph is totally incompatible with logic. At no point in the last however long has PC revenue eclipsed consoles, and certainly not to the point where it would have reached 1.5x the revenue 2 years ago.

Not even you believe that, but you keep trotting it out.

What PC has in userbase is all centred in Asia. China, namely. It's a barely accessible and closely regulated market run by a pack of vicious dictators, making it useless in any discussions regarding the health of the industry.

Console gaming and mobile gaming are the only segments which continue to grow, while PC, as this thread points out, has actually shrunk in the last year.
Hypothetically, even if that pic was accurate and PC revenue was actually that big (it isn't), >75% of it is from live service games with heavy monetization, not AAA games. The AAA market on PC is a joke when compared to PlayStation, and the AAA market is all that 99% of us on this forum care about.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Hypothetically, even if that pic was accurate and PC revenue was actually that big (it isn't), >75% of it is from live service games with heavy monetization, not AAA games. The AAA market on PC is a joke when compared to PlayStation, and the AAA market is all that 99% of us on this forum care about.

But don't you see the PROFIT!!!!!!!!! if Sony releases only GaaS games and also day and date on PC?

This is TRIBALISM because you only think about what YOU like, and don't care if the poor shareholders can feed their families.
Caviar and champagne have been very expensive lately 😔

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The PS1 was still alive in the PS2 times when the console market did stop considerably growing. Since then it has been growing but not much.

PC and specially mobile instead grew much more in the XXI century, mostly due to GaaS and particularly F2P plus in the case of PC, also Steam.

Note: notice the graph above obviously doesn't include 2023, it's to see the long term evolution across history. Decreases in 2022 and 2023 are mostly due to still going back to normality from the covid bump, plus in case of mobile due to changes on the ads policies, negatively affecting their main user acqiusition source.

The graph under it is January 2024 updated Newzoo estimates (different source than the estimates drawn above), with different inflation.

Global-games-market-revenues-in-2023-per-segment-1536x864.png

Steam has been breaking their own records since forever, way before that.

Do you really believe console only had $30b in revenue in 2022? That's pretty much how much Playstation made by itself, not counting nintendo or xbox. It's even funnier that the other graph you showed completely contradicts the first one. 30b or 53b which one is it?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
“Pc gaming is dying” is undoubtedly the dumbest shit I’ve read here like ever.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke