10 Jul 2022
This aint it Sony..
200w.gif

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Why does sony always copy nintendo?
You mean the nintendo that copied the turbo express with the switch? The nintendo who then copied charging for online? The Nintendo that copied the dual analog stick controllers. I can go on with many more things but it's pointless 😉 Bro stop the nonsense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 223

Christopher Ding has been very favorable of everything Sony since getting scoops and access from Jim and company.

Unsurprisingly, none of the interviews he does with them are ever graced with any contentious, hard hitting questions, much less the important follow ups to superficial drama topics. Asking him to be an exception to the rest of his ass sniffing peers that make up 99% of the "gaming journalism" industry is - as sadly as it sounds - unfair as well.

Throwing a bone Sony's way here, and in doing so paying in kind. Shouldn't make anything out of it, it's not an honest assessment, and more of a fluff promotion - the intent.

Won't matter in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Sony released the Remote Play in 2006. WiiU got released in 2012.
Never managed to PSP to mirror PS3 well even on few supported titles, I think the tech only got better after Vita and PS4.

I think network chip in PSP is terrible.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Never managed to PSP to mirror PS3 well even on few supported titles, I think the tech only got better after Vita and PS4.

I think network chip in PSP is terrible.
Remote Play in PS4+Vita wasn't optimal but playable in some games due to the wifi Vita chip. In PSP+PS3 was pretty bad because both had worse wifi.

PS5 has wifi6, and I assume PS Portal too. So I assume it work great specially when using a wifi6 router.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Remote Play in PS4+Vita wasn't optimal but playable in some games due to the wifi Vita chip. In PSP+PS3 was pretty bad because both had worse wifi.

PS5 has wifi6, and I assume PS Portal too. So I assume it work great specially when using a wifi6 router.
My remote play always worked good since the early days even on pstv and vita. Ps5 I use it twice a week more than 100 miles away and works great, I even play cod mp and get in top three although in that scenario lag is noticeable.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
My remote play always worked good since the early days even on pstv and vita. Ps5 I use it twice a week more than 100 miles away and works great, I even play cod mp and get in top three although in that scenario lag is noticeable.
I assume the experience changes a lot depending on the genre. Turn based games or games that don't require constnat precise inputs would provide a way better experince via cloud gaming or remote play than the ones who require constant precise timings.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I assume the experience changes a lot depending on the genre. Turn based games or games that don't require constnat precise inputs would provide a way better experince via cloud gaming or remote play than the ones who require constant precise timings.
The experience also obviously varies (don't mean to state the obvious) on internet. I've never had issues in general with remote play except when I had a specific isp provider and it didnt work at all under them, that was weird.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Back when I was still lecturer at collage, I brought PSV to play a bunches of games. I set my PS4 right in my office, and even classes as far as 800m-1km always where connection drop low, still work well enough thanks to repeaters. The delay is atrocious though.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
I think it could be pretty decent if it has a direct connection to the PS5.....which is what this YouTuber who got a hands on somewhat talks about around the 2:50 mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yurinka

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
They should have just equipped it with enough grunt to emulate Vita, PSP, PS1 and PS2 as well as the remote play function

But Sony are almost as bad as Nintendo when it comes to that sort of thing

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
I think it could be pretty decent if it works better than existing Wifi devices.....which is what this YouTuber who got a hands on said around the 2:50 mark.

Norm is probably the absolute best tech YouTuber bar none for his unbiased opinions and the attention he gives the products really hits differently to every other tech journalist.

He has actually steered me clear of many products in the past that I thought I would be interested at first blush, therefore saving me a bit of money along the way. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says... for example, I couldn't care less if the Portal could stream from PS Now, but I do see how it could be a selling point for some. I've no doubt that it's something that will come down the line, but I'd personally rather the product vision not be diluted by cloud streaming and I'm actually chuffed you can't do cloud streaming on it... it's wouldn't exactly be a major technical feat for them to pull it off, but I love how they have prioritised the local-remote play aspect to [hopefully] maximise the experience for at-home use.

Norm's hands-on video was different than all other videos I've seen in that it got me fairly hyped for the Portal and the Elites rather than being left with more questions than answers. He showed me things nobody else seemed to cover. Like the Elites, how the microphone retracts, the USB-C port, the wall hook for charging the Elites and how CAD files will be made available for you to print your own mounts. I love this because I just set this wall section up in the last couple of days:

IMG-2729.jpg

I can see the Pulse Elites taking the place of my XM4s there, and it's awesome that it will charge there automatically with the bundled hook. Those XM4s are always running out of juice. I'm also really curious about how the planar magnetic drivers sound as I've never tried them before. Let's hope the PlayStation Link tech + Elites are going to be a step up from the XM4s through LDAC from my Fiio BTA30 BT tranceiver, which itself is a huge step up from the audio you get out of the Pulse 3D.

It's honestly pretty sweet how PlayStation are developing their ecosystem now. The new gear isn't for everyone as the value proposition is pretty low in terms of function, but for certain people who care predominantly about quality, refinement, and the it just works factor, it can't really be argued that Playstation are doing pretty well all things considered.

Personally, I support Sony because I believe in their vision in gaming as I have done since the 90s. I'm not just some raging fanboy who buys everything they put out, not anymore, but they seldom let me down. I actually want to see them further develop their ecosystem with even higher-end, more expensive and technically-accomplished products, like a VR Pro with pancake lenses & built-in high-end audio. PS5 Pro, even higher-end headphones (which they obviously look be doing with their acquisition of Audeze), and a Portal Pro, with 1440P+ OLED and replaceable hall-effect thumbsticks. All the products today and even the hypothetical products I mentioned are just stepping-stones towards [I hope] something truly groundbreaking in the future and not just some empty cashgrab which too many companies in this industry have fallen prey too. Of course profits must be had in the interim, but profits earned through offering bleeding-edge user experiences is something I can definitely get behind.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
@Banana I see why you're laughing at my post considering what I wrote and in light of the price increases to PS+. Makes sense... just want you to know that I don't sub to PS+, and haven't done in over 2 years, so the price increase literally doesn't affect me. It's still IMO kinda shitty for them to increase their prices so drastically, but yet it doesn't change how I feel about their hardware efforts.

I support anybody voting with their wallet. PS+ just wasn't worth it to me anymore, so I stopped paying for it.