Ghost of Tsushima broke the Steam CCU record for any Sony SP PC game

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
New peak established again this morning. And the weekend only began. Itll outperform Spider-Man and may even overthrow GoW.

Ghost of Tsushima was always going to perform well on PC. Just as I think Demon's Souls would probably perform really well on PC and Gran Turismo 7.

If the movie is successful, it'll have pretty big bounce as well both on PC and console.

Maybe they should have gone with a Ghost of Tsushima anime instead of a movie though. It would have been out by now and probably would have had a bigger impact.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
People keep asking Sony to re-invest in console, but they don't realize just how easy that will be for Sony when they have other avenues of income.

If a game costs 200 million dollars to develop and you know you can get at least half that back from PC, then the risk in developing that title shrinks. This allows you to keep making these AAA games without cutting corners, in fact you might want to increase the size of teams so that you can make more games quicker.

It also allows Sony to buy studios because they know they'll be able to get returns on their games because they aren't limited to just the PlayStation userbase.

FromSoftware for example is a company you probably couldn't buy just for their PlayStation fanbase, but if you include PC? That purchase has a completely different equation. You do a Demon's Souls 2 and you're not looking at 3-4 million copies in sales you're looking at closer to 8-10 million copies. You release Elden Ring 2 exclusively on PS5 first and port it to PC after a year or two... again worth it..., especially now that From owns the IP. And you still have Bloodborne.

Sony can take MUCH bigger swings if they invest in PC than if they focused just on consoles. People like to compare them to Nintendo, but Nintendo can get away with spending 50 million dollars on a game that is going to sell 20 million copies. That won't work for Sony. Sony's only path is through growth and that requires more eyeballs.

The fanboys who are anti-PC are just blind to the realities and economics involved here.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
And it is the same thing for GaaS.

Do I want GaaS to completely take over Sony's portfolio? Of course not, I don't play them, but the income Sony can gain from GaaS can continue to fund them while they make AAA games and ensure they're fully polished before release.

In fact if Sony has enough success with GaaS, it could let them take a less profitable approach to console hardware and sell for a loss again.

Over an entire fiscal year a 100 dollar price cut costs you 2 billion dollars and it costs you that every year afterward and even more with additional price cuts.

Sony knows that cutting the price of the PS5 now BEFORE GTA6 comes out will cost them BILLIONS and for what? Would you rather sell 20 million units at 400 dollars or 15 million units at 500 dollars? If 500 is sold at breakeven, that's 0 dollars vs -2 billion dollars.

Sony not dropping the price for a year or two is the difference between them buying a major studio and owning that studio for the rest of time... and still selling largely the same number of units.

I think the PS5 Pro launches at 600 dollars, while the base PS5 remains at 500, and the digital remains at 450. I think they could do a promotional bundle that doesn't truly cost them anything (unlike the Spider-Man bundle which was a hefty hit for them). You wait until POST GTA6 sales boom and THEN you look at cutting the price of the PS5, probably Spring of 2026. That is unless PS5 sales crater, which I can't envision happening.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
People keep asking Sony to re-invest in console, but they don't realize just how easy that will be for Sony when they have other avenues of income.

If a game costs 200 million dollars to develop and you know you can get at least half that back from PC, then the risk in developing that title shrinks. This allows you to keep making these AAA games without cutting corners, in fact you might want to increase the size of teams so that you can make more games quicker.

It also allows Sony to buy studios because they know they'll be able to get returns on their games because they aren't limited to just the PlayStation userbase.

FromSoftware for example is a company you probably couldn't buy just for their PlayStation fanbase, but if you include PC? That purchase has a completely different equation. You do a Demon's Souls 2 and you're not looking at 3-4 million copies in sales you're looking at closer to 8-10 million copies. You release Elden Ring 2 exclusively on PS5 first and port it to PC after a year or two... again worth it..., especially now that From owns the IP. And you still have Bloodborne.

Sony can take MUCH bigger swings if they invest in PC than if they focused just on consoles. People like to compare them to Nintendo, but Nintendo can get away with spending 50 million dollars on a game that is going to sell 20 million copies. That won't work for Sony. Sony's only path is through growth and that requires more eyeballs.

The fanboys who are anti-PC are just blind to the realities and economics involved here.

Lowkey facts

Pey

Content Creator
29 Sep 2022
Well, this one doens't have DirectStorage like Horizon Forbidden West, which loads faster on PC than PS5 because of it.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
It's close to GOW 2018

1716045977-image.png

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
at least 65-70 million in pure profit.
Totally made up numbers (GOT will never sell 4 millions on PC, Horizon didn't in 5 years) and that's the best you can get. 65-70 millions doesn't even cover the marketing budget of a AAA.

They make almost 2 billions profit per year.

New peak established again this morning. And the weekend only began. Itll outperform Spider-Man and may even overthrow GoW.
The Assassin’s Creed controversy is really helping the GOT franchise get more attention. It was a good timing from Ubisoft 😅

Reactions: Gediminas

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Is the game any good or does it dissolve into a chore like horizon and ac games?
It's always impossible to tell with these games. For example, hogwarts legacy was amazing but on paper it should be a chore :p
I've not played it yet but i have the ps5 dc disc. I supported the game day1

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Is the game any good or does it dissolve into a chore like horizon and ac games?
It's always impossible to tell with these games. For example, hogwarts legacy was amazing but on paper it should be a chore :p
It's definitely not revolutionary. You'll collect resources, take out enemy camps, climb shrines (not as AC viewpoints but for a charm you can equip) and do pretty much what you'd expect from an open world game.

To me it was the presentation. The game fully indulges in a samurai power fantasy. if you're not into that setting, it won't do that much for you. The expansion is excellent. Offers a new location, more armor and a pretty decent story.

Reactions: rofif
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Never felt like it was a chore, I actually was mad when all the side quests were done. I platted it.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
It's definitely not revolutionary. You'll collect resources, take out enemy camps, climb shrines (not as AC viewpoints but for a charm you can equip) and do pretty much what you'd expect from an open world game.

To me it was the presentation. The game fully indulges in a samurai power fantasy. if you're not into that setting, it won't do that much for you. The expansion is excellent. Offers a new location, more armor and a pretty decent story.
Never felt like it was a chore, I actually was mad when all the side quests were done. I platted it.
thanks.
So the side stuff is more like real story side quests or activities ?
I should just try it since it's on my shelf lol. Should probably play in japanese too

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

side quests was great too.
can't remember, but that old woman's story line was great. monk's pretty cool too.

story is pretty simple, but delivery was great.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Totally made up numbers (GOT will never sell 4 millions on PC, Horizon didn't in 5 years) and that's the best you can get. 65-70 millions doesn't even cover the marketing budget of a AAA.
It's best to at least try to have some known data when it comes to an argument of how much GoT might or might not sell.

Let us recall this official slide from an official presentation dating to Feb 2023.

q46edC8.png

Here we see that Horizon Zero Dawn has sold 3.3m copies on Steam as of Feb 2023.
It is actually quite likely that it has passed 4M or the game is rather close to it with continued deep discount sales from March 2023 till May 2024.
It also has not been out for 5 years, as the PC port released in August 2020.
Closing in on a full 4 years in a couple months though.

Ghost of Tsushima is also having a larger launch than Horizon, with the CCU peak behind only behind GoW.

Doubly so because if we look at the CCU graph between Asia and EU, it is incredibly stable between the timezones.
That means that as Asia is going to sleep, instead of a sharper drop in CCUs, it is staying the course.
This means a greater amount of sales on a global scale than just looking at the singular CCU peak number.

TL;DR - Am I guaranteeing GoT will sell 4M+ and more? No.
But looking at launches of previous SIE games and the sales trajectory of their most successful titles, it's a very very strong possibility.

There's a reason a lot of people were saying that games like GoT/Bloodborne/Demon's Souls would probably overperform compared to the bigger IPs like Horizon/Spider-Man/GoW on PC relative to how much they sold on PlayStation.
These games are more aligned with PC taste even though, for some of them, the IP brand is weaker overall.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
thanks.
I should just try it since it's on my shelf lol. Should probably play in japanese too
You get side stories with various characters. They play out across several missions for each and are basically mini stories. They are good.

Alao weapon and armor upgrades (both stats and visuals) and a lot of appearance collectibles as well.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
thanks.
some side stuff is like new storyline for separate people.
Duels are very cool.