Ghost of Tsushima broke the Steam CCU record for any Sony SP PC game

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's best to at least try to have some known data when it comes to an argument of how much GoT might or might not sell.

Let us recall this official slide from an official presentation dating to Feb 2023.

q46edC8.png

Here we see that Horizon Zero Dawn has sold 3.3m copies on Steam as of Feb 2023.
It is actually quite likely that it has passed 4M or the game is rather close to it with continued deep discount sales from March 2023 till May 2024.
It also has not been out for 5 years, as the PC port released in August 2020.
Closing in on a full 4 years in a couple months though.

Ghost of Tsushima is also having a larger launch than Horizon, with the CCU peak behind only behind GoW.

Doubly so because if we look at the CCU graph between Asia and EU, it is incredibly stable between the timezones.
That means that as Asia is going to sleep, instead of a sharper drop in CCUs, it is staying the course.
This means a greater amount of sales on a global scale than just looking at the singular CCU peak number.

TL;DR - Am I guaranteeing GoT will sell 4M+ and more? No.
But looking at launches of previous SIE games and the sales trajectory of their most successful titles, it's a very very strong possibility.

There's a reason a lot of people were saying that games like GoT/Bloodborne/Demon's Souls would probably overperform compared to the bigger IPs like Horizon/Spider-Man/GoW on PC relative to how much they sold on PlayStation.
These games are more aligned with PC taste even though, for some of them, the IP brand is weaker overall.
Yeah sure, it might sell 4 millions in 4 years at deep discounts. They will have enough to afford a nice coffee machine for the CEO office...or they could just use Destiny money from the same category without any effort 🤡

Btw, GOT is still for sale on PS5, it didn't disappear because the PC port is out. They still many ways to profit from it without any additional expenses.

Some people are more hype about the "Other" category (with MLB mtx, Destiny and pc ports) in their financial report than their main platform 🤦‍♂️

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Yeah sure, it might sell 4 millions in 4 years at deep discounts. They will have enough to afford a nice coffee machine for the CEO office...or they could just use Destiny money from the same category without any effort 🤡

Most of the Destiny money is probably going back into funding Marathon and Bungie tbh.
Nixxes upkeep of their like 55~(2022) employees cost very little in comparison.
The bulk of the money the studio generates for SIE goes into funding other stuff.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that was plan when it came to Destiny.
Get that constant revenue generation, too bad they fumbled the first Expansion right after they got acquired by Sony 😅
Hopefully they rebound with The Final Shape expansion.

Btw, GOT is still for sale on PS5, it didn't disappear because the PC port is out. They still many ways to profit from it without any additional expenses.

This is true.
But ports are the highest Return on Investment of any of the possible ways of boosting revenue/profit for any title.

Some people are more hype about the "Other" category (with MLB mtx, Destiny and pc ports) in their financial report than their main platform 🤦‍♂️

The answer is obvious, some users here are clearly PC players first or exclusively and are doing a little trolling.

Personally, I just want a showcase...
I-It's coming r-right?!

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Most of the Destiny money is probably going back into funding Marathon and Bungie tbh.
Nixxes upkeep of their like 55~(2022) employees cost very little in comparison.
The bulk of the money the studio generates for SIE goes into funding other stuff.
The point is we have no way to know if they are using that money to fund more games or they used it to buy a golden toilet for Totoki 😅

What I do know is that they have more than enough money right now to greenlight any game Mibu is dreaming about. They are not waiting 4 years for that GOT port money 🤡

This is true.
But ports are the highest Return on Investment of any of the possible ways of boosting revenue/profit for any title.
Ports to PS6 and a pro patch when the movie is out is a huge ROI opportunity. I agree.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
The point is we have no way to know if they are using that money to fund more games or they used it to buy a golden toilet for Totoki 😅

Lmao.

What I do know is that they have more than enough money right now to greenlight any game Mibu is dreaming about. They are not waiting 4 years for that GOT port money 🤡

Of course they're not waiting for port money, but it improves margins.
Something Totoki and co. seemingly care about considering how they fired people because they're so poor, please understand 🙇‍♂️

Ports to PS6 and a pro patch when the movie is out is a huge ROI opportunity. I agree.

That's years down the line though. Public companies have shareholders, it's always about the now.

I do agree that they're also thinking about doing that.
But looking at the PS5 PRO leaks, might not be too hard to do pro boost.
It would seem(TBD) that less work would have to be done to boost performance manually through patch/SKU update.
I hope that's true, give me the all the framerates baby.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
It's definitely not revolutionary. You'll collect resources, take out enemy camps, climb shrines (not as AC viewpoints but for a charm you can equip) and do pretty much what you'd expect from an open world game.

To me it was the presentation. The game fully indulges in a samurai power fantasy. if you're not into that setting, it won't do that much for you. The expansion is excellent. Offers a new location, more armor and a pretty decent story.

It's the gameplay more than the presentation for me. That's the part that allows you to indulge the samurai fantasy.

It's everything I wanted Way of the Samurai to be.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

You're definitely someone worth ignoring.

You don't understand how cash flow works at all. It's not as if Sony waits on a PC port of Ghost of Tsushima to greenlight a sequel to Ghost of Tsushima, but it does inform their decisions about budgets and extensions of budgets. The success of a Ghost of Tsushima port might allow you to expand the Sucker Punch team and spend a little more money and time on Ghost of Tsushima 2 knowing that it can sell additional units on PC.

It allows you to promote people/give them raises. It allows you to invest money in transmedia. It allows you to buy new studios. It allows you to lease new buildings and buy better equipment or invest in development tools.

Look at Sony right now, trying to buy Paramount, but they aren't doing it by themselves. Why not? Because they don't have the cash to do it. They're partnering with Private Equity, but that wasn't their only option. They have done a stock swap, but they didn't want to dilute the company.

Somehow in your mind Sony actually has infinite money to do whatever they want and they don't actually need to sell products and services in order to generate cash flow.

Literally, every part of the business can be improved by improving margins. It allows you to take bigger swings. It's one of the reasons why Nintendo has been so successful because they know if they need money all they need to do is make a pokemon game. Sony really doesn't have that ATM access. Their most profitable ventures take a long time to make and don't have nearly the margins. That's also why Nintendo has so much cash on hand. Their operating expenses are small and their profits are huge. All things Sony is trying to replicate.

The Switch is one of the best selling video game systems of all time... it never got a price drop. How much is Zelda? It's still full price.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Wikipedia's PS5 exclusives page?
Ohh, a zinger. Is that the copium you huff for having to wait for years to play some games?

Funny how you thought that was a gotcha. I could care less about your fanboy list wars. Enjoy the game millions played 4 years ago.

Reactions: Hezekiah

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
You're definitely someone worth ignoring.

You don't understand how cash flow works at all. It's not as if Sony waits on a PC port of Ghost of Tsushima to greenlight a sequel to Ghost of Tsushima, but it does inform their decisions about budgets and extensions of budgets. The success of a Ghost of Tsushima port might allow you to expand the Sucker Punch team and spend a little more money and time on Ghost of Tsushima 2 knowing that it can sell additional units on PC.

It allows you to promote people/give them raises. It allows you to invest money in transmedia. It allows you to buy new studios. It allows you to lease new buildings and buy better equipment or invest in development tools.

Look at Sony right now, trying to buy Paramount, but they aren't doing it by themselves. Why not? Because they don't have the cash to do it. They're partnering with Private Equity, but that wasn't their only option. They have done a stock swap, but they didn't want to dilute the company.

Somehow in your mind Sony actually has infinite money to do whatever they want and they don't actually need to sell products and services in order to generate cash flow.

Literally, every part of the business can be improved by improving margins. It allows you to take bigger swings. It's one of the reasons why Nintendo has been so successful because they know if they need money all they need to do is make a pokemon game. Sony really doesn't have that ATM access. Their most profitable ventures take a long time to make and don't have nearly the margins. That's also why Nintendo has so much cash on hand. Their operating expenses are small and their profits are huge. All things Sony is trying to replicate.

The Switch is one of the best selling video game systems of all time... it never got a price drop. How much is Zelda? It's still full price.
you are a such dense character, can't take a joke.

Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Well, this one doens't have DirectStorage like Horizon Forbidden West, which loads faster on PC than PS5 because of it.

You do know direct storage is a software based solution for what sony build as hardware solution? Sony's is still far ahead as that there is no driver/software instruction that has to happen. Direct storage uses API instructions and has to be done on a software to game engine basis hence why most fast loading titles have been Sony. Since the engines they run are setup to take advantage for fast loading. All Nixxies has to do is write software instructions that will interface with Direct X, AMD/NVIDIA to get similar solution.

But like many dev's said back in 2019 Sony's solution was like looking 4+ years into the future. ANd here we are with no PC only title that has loading like SPiderman 2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You do know direct storage is a software based solution for what sony build as hardware solution? Sony's is still far ahead as that there is no driver/software instruction that has to happen. Direct storage uses API instructions and has to be done on a software to game engine basis hence why most fast loading titles have been Sony. Since the engines they run are setup to take advantage for fast loading. All Nixxies has to do is write software instructions that will interface with Direct X, AMD/NVIDIA to get similar solution.

But like many dev's said back in 2019 Sony's solution was like looking 4+ years into the future. ANd here we are with PC only title thats currently has loading like SPiderman 2.
💯

Reactions: Puff